Prices from hotel website vs. discount travel websites

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alundy

• 33 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:08 AM

Hi everyone! I am trying to narrow down which island I want to have my DW at. A big part of that decision is cost for our guests... I haven't contacted a TA yet as this is just preliminary reserach.

In any case, I was considering Aruba and when I look at the room rates on the Divi and Tamarijn resort websites, they are quite high ($365 per night). However when I look at those same resorts on Orbitz.com, same timeframe, they are quoting $1500 per person including airfare! Obviously this is a massive difference and would completely change whether I consider going here.

What price would a TA be more likely to get - is the resort's quoted room rate what they will be working with? It just seems like a ridiculous difference.

Thanks in advance for your help!

#2 tsgnatko

• 164 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:41 AM

This was my biggest stress - but you can't plan a wedding without a plan - ppl will search their own options - you just pick what you want and go from there

#3 alundy

• 33 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:43 AM

OK thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. I certainly do want to work with a TA, not an online discount website, when it comes to my wedding. So I'm happy to hear that price matching is a possibility.

#4 ACDCDCAC

• Moderators
        • 25,218 posts
        • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
        • LocationSeattle

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:43 AM

Mo i like how you put that the first thing you do is compare apples to apples! thats really important :)

alundy, ive always wondered about that too, im so glad you asked here so we could get great answers like Mo's!

#5 atrott

• 208 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:03 AM

I'm using a TA for my trip & she was able to match the prices that Vacations to Go had on their website. I like the idea of using a TA since everyone is booking through her & she just lets me know what guests I have coming!

#6 eholt

• 528 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

Working with a TA just makes it easier from beginning to end...at least thats been my experience!
            May 19, 2011
            Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
            Montego Bay, Jamaica

#7 miss_delerium

• 543 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

We were initially going to book with something like Expedia too, but in the end decided to use a TA, mostly because I didn't want a million calls to us regarding travel arrangements, prices etc. - I'd rather everyone just talk to our TA. She said she would price match anything we found online.

#8 pujbride19

• 57 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:01 PM

I have quite a bit of experience in deal hunting on vacation packages, but still decided to use a TA for our wedding group. I am so happy that I did. All but twice the TA was able to get better prices than I could find. She has also saved me a million headaches. Every time someone books I get an e-mail and I also now have copies of all of my guests' bookings and requests. I HIGHLY recommend using a TA and have faith that they will get you good rates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users