Sign in to follow this  
chrissytina924

how long does it take..

so our wedding is June 26th, 2010 and i am starting to get nervous bc I am hearing that it could take up to 3 months for the hotel to send us our marriage certificate back and then we have to send it out to be translated back to english.. i was hoping some of you already married women or some of you still not married but eductaed on the topic ladies can walk me through how everything works.. i know that the marriage is recognized as legal but when are you able to change your name over to your married name and add each other on to your health insurance.. bc dont you need a marriage certificate for all thathuh.gif

Sorry if i sound dumb but im so confused!!

I got married in Punta Cana in April, I got my marriage cert back exactly 1 month to the day of the wedding. I called my province and they gave me a number to an offical translator, I got it translated and everything id good to go now :)

Good luck!!

It can take 3 months or sometimes even more to get your marriage certificate in the mail, just depends on the place you get married.

You do need a copy of the marriage certificate to change your name and do insurance stuff. If you're in a hurry to do this, then you might want to consider getting married legally at home first, and then do a non-legal ceremony in Mexico. You don't even have to tell anyone about it. The ceremony is identical except for the piece of paper you sign in Mexico wouldn't be legal.

we did a legal ceremony in mexico and we were told it would take 3-4 months to get the certificate, but we just got it last week. so it only took 6 weeks.

why the rush to get it so quickly? there is no timeline on changing your name.