Sorority Traditions?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tgallo

tgallo
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone on the forums who may be in a Greek organization has any experiences with this?

Maybe your organization has a tradition(s) you do for weddings within the sorority? I am a member of Alpha Sigma Tau and we do not have anything in place (ritual, etc)... But I was thinking if I have a few sorority sisters taking the trip, that I include them in some way?... Any feedback?

Thanks!
    Theresa

#2 greysgirl

greysgirl
    • 370 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:51 PM

Is there a way you can incorporate your house flower into your arrangements? For example, I was a Kappa Alpha Theta in college and our flower is the pansy. Or if you want to acknowledge them, maybe get them corsages with those flowers included?

#3 tgallo

tgallo
      • 150 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I may look at the corsages option.. =)

#4 Lady_Di

Lady_Di
        • 5,078 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:32 AM

I had three sorority sisters as bridesmaids and I did not do any sorority traditions. It was at least important thing for me and I felt that the wedding was about me and my husband, not about our greek organizations. That was just my perspective. Having our sorority sister and fraternity brothers in our wedding party was enough. :)

#5 sorord1

sorord1
          • 240 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:28 AM

We normally serenade the bride with our national song and if the soror is from our chapter we will also sing our chapter song. This is done at the reception and it is a very moving and emotional experience.

#6 PynkLemonade

PynkLemonade
            • 350 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:35 AM

I am a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, and like stated before, we usually sit the groom in a chair on the dance floor and surround him in a circle and sing our national hymn and vice versa for the fraternities, they sit the bride in the chair and sing or state their hymn/pledge. Then we turn the music on and start party walking together or stepping if that is part of your organization!

#7 creoletexan

creoletexan
              • 220 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

I am a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and our tradition is for the bride to sit in a chair and the other sorors surround her in a circle and sing our Sweetheart song. It only takes like 5 minutes to do it. My wedding colors are similar to my sorority colors except I added tangerine orange to the mix to spice it up since we will be in the carribbean. One of my line sisters is also one of my bridesmaids.

#8 sorord1

sorord1
                • 240 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by PynkLemonade
                  I am a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, and like stated before, we usually sit the groom in a chair on the dance floor and surround him in a circle and sing our national hymn and vice versa for the fraternities, they sit the bride in the chair and sing or state their hymn/pledge. Then we turn the music on and start party walking together or stepping if that is part of your organization!

Hey SOROR! I too am a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc.! Western Illinois University Sp. 98. We also do a party walk normally the DJ will play Im Every Woman by Whitney Houston. LOL! There are a couple of sorors on the forum!

#9 Mrs. Williams

Mrs. Williams
                  • 284 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

Hey Soror Quintina,

My fiance and I are both members of greek organizations.  We are planning on including both of our traditions.  I am really looking forward to being serenaded by both organizations.  This part of the reception will not take up too much time and I think it really adds something for your organizational members as they get a chance to feel apart of your big day. 

#10 coconoir1908

coconoir1908
                    • 2,136 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:34 AM

Hey Soror,

Congrats on the wedding!!!!  The pictures are AKAmazing!!!!  Yes, I will be doing the same for my HoneyDo ;-) 

Originally Posted by PynkLemonade 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users