Alteration question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 michelle08

michelle08
  • VIP Member
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:32 PM

Okay ladies...I am in a wedding in september and one a month later in october and lucky for me I get to wear the same exact dress!!!

The dress is below...my question is, have any of you used this dress for your bridesmaids and if so, did they have to alter it (length) and how much was the range.

I am short and have to have it altered and I didn't want to take it to a bridal store because I think they charge alot. So I took it to the cleaners who also does alterations and they said they wanted to charge me $100!! Is this normal? I realize that it has 5 layers of lining underneath...but yikes! I think I paid like $20-$30 a couple years ago to have another bridesmaid dress altered and it was just one layer or two straight across and this one is wavy.

I just want to find out if I should look around or just have them do it....

Click the image to open in full size.

#2 TammyB

TammyB
    • 10,630 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

Hmm good question, but I would assume if it has that many layers then that price is probably about right, and for that price I would rather have the salon do it because if they mess up it's on them to fix.

#3 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 24,768 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:37 PM

i had a bridesmaid dress altered a few months ago, it had 3 layers and i paid about $95. i am guessing i could have had it done cheaper - but didn't have time to shop around. this was at a dry cleaners/alterations place - so seems like a similar scenario

#4 michelle08

michelle08
        • VIP Member
        • 2,702 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

Okay....that's all I needed to hear was that its reasonable. Not reasonable to my pocketbook but it's relative!

I'm just cheap ya know! :)

Thanks gals!

#5 foxytv

foxytv
          • VIP Member
          • 7,740 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:21 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by michelle08
            Okay ladies...I am in a wedding in september and one a month later in october and lucky for me I get to wear the same exact dress!!!

The dress is below...my question is, have any of you used this dress for your bridesmaids and if so, did they have to alter it (length) and how much was the range.

I am short and have to have it altered and I didn't want to take it to a bridal store because I think they charge alot. So I took it to the cleaners who also does alterations and they said they wanted to charge me $100!! Is this normal? I realize that it has 5 layers of lining underneath...but yikes! I think I paid like $20-$30 a couple years ago to have another bridesmaid dress altered and it was just one layer or two straight across and this one is wavy.

I just want to find out if I should look around or just have them do it....

Click the image to open in full size.
            I LOVE LOVE LOVE this BM dress!!!! Who makes it? You are very lucky that you can wear it for 2 weddings.

I think that sounds about right for the alterations.

#6 Robyn Louise Photography

Robyn Louise Photography
            • 2,171 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

Me too, I think thats a fabulous dress!!!!!!!!!

Please tell us where you got it from!

Robyn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users