Anyone else having a wedding that is not at a resort? And if so, do you mind sharing where and how you've gone about planning it? We are getting married in Isla Mujeres and are not doing a resort wedding. Not that we didn't love staying at the RIU Palace in Playa years ago. But we wanted something different.

Sounds like it will be fun. We went the resort route just for more ease on my part...I would go nuts not knowing vendors, etc... At least with our resort I know they do this so often it should work out well no matter what.

Thanks Heather! We are already working with Sunhorse Weddings and I'm pretty happy with them so far. I have heard good things about Juliette Franze though and I'm sure she is great. I'm just curious to know how other people have found the non-resort destination wedding experience to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherkemp View Post
I highly recommend getting in touch with Juliette Franze, who is the planner for our Isla Mujeres wedding. Papillon Weddings & Events - Ceremonies She has been so wonderful to work with & specializes in weddings on the island - we couldn't have done it without her!
I used her too. She was GREAT !

I am doing a non resort wedding in Tulum in September. So far I love it. I have no idea how the resort wedding is done as it is not something I looked into. I think it is pretty smooth, but we do have a coordinator who is great. There are only a few big items really: Venue, food, music, photog, and flowers. The coordinator ties all those things together and I am very much looking forward to my non resort wedding. Are there specific questions you have?

No, I'm just curious to hear about people's experiences. So far we have all of the big things arranged. I feel like the resort wedding is a bit "safer" in that you know exactly what you're getting. But even if a few things aren't perfect, I think we are going to have a great wedding!

We were in Tulum briefly a few years ago and loved it!! I'd like to return one day soon.

We are having an off resort wedding in Playa Del Carmen - I have found it to be harder than I expected....I didn't hire a wedding planner as I thought I could do it all myself, I'm re-considering my decision and might hire someone though

We wanted something a little different

I was just married at a non-resort, Hotel Milamores in Tulum. We wanted to have the entire hotel to ourselves and our guests and we did not want to be up-charged by a big resort. The staff for our pre-honeymoon, guest arrival, wedding and honeymoon were outstanding. We were able to choose our own vendors. The planning was hassle-free. You cannot go wrong with a non-resort wedding.

hey! the non resort experience is more intimate. that is why we chose it.

So we are having our day in Casa la Abuela (this is property my fiancee´s family have between Playa and Tulum.

This is a small villa for just the two of us. and we want to be hassle free so we hired a florist, who turned out to be a wedding coordinator also.

three or four other couples may come.

she is working mayan ceremony, dinner for two with a beautiful setup, we will add dinner for the rest if the confirm .o) and we are having a dj and master of ceremonies with an open bar for 5 hours. It has been wonderful just to give oks or small changes.

Julieta, the wedding coordinator is preparing everythign since our arrival. It has definitely been easier that to wait on line or for never coming emails from vendors.

We are also getting help through her for service for the villa and tours.

check on her site FUN AND UNIQUE EVENTS JULIETA your WEDDING FLORIST AND COORDINATOR