Sign in to follow this  
becks

Perfect DW Manicure - OPI Axxium!

I'll apologize in advance for the quality of the photos (cell phone...), but here are a couple of photos for those who want to see. This is one layer of "Bubble Bath" and one layer of "Passion". It looks a lot like Essie's Mademoselle/Sugar Daddy which is what I used to always wear in a regular mani.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

So they didn't have to grind down your nails like with normal gel nails?? I really wanted great nails for the wedding but also didn't want ruined nails when the tips came off so this is a great alternative! Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mrs. Griffith View Post
So they didn't have to grind down your nails like with normal gel nails?? I really wanted great nails for the wedding but also didn't want ruined nails when the tips came off so this is a great alternative! Thanks for sharing!
Nope, no grinding. They do buff the surface down a bit - they need to take off the very top layer to make sure they stick, but nothing like the old gels with tips. And when they take them off, you can have a plain old mani and you'd never know. Even clear polish will look fine.

Putting it on takes a little longer than a regular mani - probably about 40-50 minutes. Taking it off takes about 30-40 minutes, so when I took off and put back on it was about an hour and a half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinB View Post
Becks, I just saw this at a salon in Chicago and was wondering how it worked!

I'll definitely have to keep it in mind for upcoming vacations and the DW I'm in this summer!

Do you mind me asking how much it was?

Where in Chicago did you see they were offering this? I'm interested in checking it out.

Thanks for posting this Becks!

I used to have acrlyic & soaked it off in December & had to start my healthy nail regimine from the beginning. My nails were a hot mess & took me a few months to get nice & healthy again so I'd never want to go down that route again. But this definitely gives me a nice alternative, especially for vacations or special events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Nope, no grinding. They do buff the surface down a bit - they need to take off the very top layer to make sure they stick, but nothing like the old gels with tips. And when they take them off, you can have a plain old mani and you'd never know. Even clear polish will look fine.

Putting it on takes a little longer than a regular mani - probably about 40-50 minutes. Taking it off takes about 30-40 minutes, so when I took off and put back on it was about an hour and a half.
Thanks Becks!! I am going to get it done this weekend to try it before the wedding all bc of your great advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coley88 View Post
Where in Chicago did you see they were offering this? I'm interested in checking it out.
I would just call any salon near you to see if they are doing it. I go to Lifespa at lifetime fitness in the burbs and they are offering it for $35. So I am sure other upscale salons downtown are doing it for about the same price!