Legal Paperwork 4 Dominican Wedding????

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JenB

• 51 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:17 PM

Hi ladies, I am getting married June 10 in Punta Cana. We are wanting to do a legal ceramony, I think that there has to be some paperwork or documents for this? Does anyone know what is needed and how I go about getting it done? Any help would be appreciated:)

#2 BachataBride

• Banned
    • 9,310 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

You will have to contact your resort's wedding coordinator to see what the requirements are. When I got married in Puerto Plata last year we had to have a single affidavit signed & translated, our birth certs translated & legalized, a copy of our passports & a copy of our witness's passports. There are companies that will take care of the translating for you, but I recommend going directly to the Dominican consulate, especially if you have one nearby.

Good Luck!!

#3 Keiths_wife_2B

• 13 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

I'm getting married on June 9th in Punta Cana as well....my WC gave me the list of items I needed. They included pretty much what that poster above me has quoted:

Notarized Single Affidavit signed & translated, Passports translated, birth certificates translated and legalized, any divorce decrees or name change documents need to be translated as well.

We also had to send passport copies for our witnesses to our WC.

I live in DC, and there's a Dominican Consulate here....first they said they no longer do it, then they said they did, then they didn't again. I ended up using WeDo, who has to send the documents to the Dominican Consulate ANYWAY....

Hope this helps.

#4 BachataBride

• Banned
        • 9,310 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

Oh...and your single affadavit is only valid for 3 mths so you can't do it any earlier than 3 mths before your wedding.

My TA said that she did not suggest wedo...but I can't remember now so I don't have a valid reason not to!

#5 MontG

• 23 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

I am in the process of submitting the paperwork as well for my wedding in June. I spoke to the Dominican consulates in DC and Miami originally, and both told me that as of 9/30/09, their translations are not valid (go figure!), now that the DR is part of the HAC(?) Convention. I then spoke to my WC who told me that they were not aware of this, but to call the consulate back and tell them all that I need is the translation of documents, which I did, and was eventually transferred to the woman who does the translations.
            As for the documents needed, the documents listed above are correct. It shouldn't take too long according to the translator, but I will keep you posted! Mailing off tomorrow....

#6 Eslush

• 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

We just got our documents back from WeDo and there were no problems. We are from Canada, although it sounds insane to send your documents to Texas to have them sent back to Canada (Toronto Cons.), back to Texas then back to us in Canada! It was much cheaper and being that it was legalized in Toronto we are good to go.

Go which even avenue makes you feel comfortable and go with your gut. We had no problems with WeDo.
              Chelsea :)

#7 Thomasjsgirl

• 1,098 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

We used Wedo as well and had no issues with them. Service was quick and the docs were accepted by the officials in DR.
                Lucy & Tom - Married 24.11.08
                Wedding Review - Dreams PC:
                Leftover Wedding Items FS:

#8 FutureMrsTO

• 109 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:39 PM

good to know, my resort recommended WeDo. i called for more information and got a friendly & informative staff member but as it can be understood we're still hesitant to send off our personal information. They advised the same--not to send the documents until June for an October wedding as they expire. and i believe the cost was $125.00 usd per person or $250 for the couple. good luck!

#9 JenB

• 51 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:46 PM

Thanks ladies, I contacted the consulate in Chicago an they are sending me the info and pricing! I will let you know what they say and see what is the cheaper route to go!

#10 MontG

• 23 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

FYI Ladies -

The DR Consulate in Miami is charging us $150.00...or $25/page. May be cheaper than the postings I've seen for Wedo.
                      Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users