Photo

If you get married in the D.R., is it legal in the U.S?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 micsor

micsor
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

Just confused about getting married in the D.R. Does anyone know if you get married there, will it be legal when you get back to the United States? I've heard a lot of stories of people getting married, and it not being legal.

#2 jerzshortstuff

jerzshortstuff
    • 303 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

I just read this "The U.S. statute states that a marriage performed abroad which is valid under the laws of that country is generally accepted by any state. " So the answer would be yes. I am not sure if the resorts vary on requirements, but here are requirements I found when I looked it up:

Notarized / certified copies of birth certificates
      Notarized / certified copies of passports
      Notarized / certified copies of passports of witnesses
      Single declaration ( translated in Spanish and legalized by an official Judge)
      Notarized / certified copies divorce papers ( if applicable )
      Notarized / certified copies of death certificate ( if applicable)
      All documents have to be presented in Spanish and must be legalized by an official Judge and validated by the Consul of the Dominican Republic.

#3 micsor

micsor
      • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

Thank you!

#4 Diva

Diva
        • 682 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:21 PM

Jerz is correct, but also keep in mind residency requirements when choosing to do the "legal" part in DR I think it is 3 days. It is much less of a hassle to do a ceremony, and go down to the courthouse in your state for the formalities. Your guests don't have to know that's what you did either! Thats our plan :) Just food for thought!

#5 beachbum

beachbum
          • 351 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

What is the process once you are back with a DR WEdding certificate? Does it come in English or in Spanish. If its in Spanish, do we have to go to the consulate to have it translated?

#6 FutureMrsTO

FutureMrsTO
            • 109 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:53 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by beachbum
              What is the process once you are back with a DR WEdding certificate? Does it come in English or in Spanish. If its in Spanish, do we have to go to the consulate to have it translated?
              yes you do have to have it translated. my resort recommended a service called wedo (WEDO .:: Taking care of your legal documentation for your Dominican weddings) the cost isn't so bad its $250 per couple. you mail them all the required information (passport, birth certificates, single status affidavit, 2 witness photo copies of passports) they prepare all documents and have everything translated. be sure to only do 3 months in advance as it expires.

best of luck
              Kim

#7 JenB

JenB
              • 51 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:58 AM

The Dominican Consulate in Chicago tol me it is ONLY legal in the States if after returning you send them an ORIGINAL copy of your marriage license to be translated and legalized here

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users