Riu Jamaica Brides and 80% Guest Rule

Hey all!

I am getting married at the Riu MoBay on 10-15-10.

I know that they have a policy in which 80% of the guests attending the wedding must stay at the resort.

So... how did you guys meet the 80% policy? Did your guests book their stay on their own? Did you establish a hotel contract with the Riu?

Thanks a bunch!

We got a travel agent from our city and she arranged everything. We sent out her info to everyone we knew was interested in going and they booked through her. She has contacts at the hotel. Otherwise you can do all the research online and just tell your guests which site you used and have them book it on their own. But it is very handy to have a travel agent to handle all the stresses of that :)

We are getting married at the RMB in 4 weeks!!!

We informed the guests after we had booked and every one attending booked as and when they were ready, still 2 to book and get married in 4 weeks.

Just received email with prices if we need addtional upgrades ie flowers, photo's etc from WC, So will just email her all the guests names and what dates they will be arriving. The ones that booked through the same travel agent's as us are already linked to our wedding booking and we are all travelling on the same flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaniBBurwell View Post
Hey all!

I am getting married at the Riu MoBay on 10-15-10.

I know that they have a policy in which 80% of the guests attending the wedding must stay at the resort.

So... how did you guys meet the 80% policy? Did your guests book their stay on their own? Did you establish a hotel contract with the Riu?

Thanks a bunch!
Are you expecting guests who will not be staying at the RIU?

I'm not getting married at a RIU but I went to a friend's wedding at ROR. As far as I know all of her guests booked their rooms on their own (at least we did - using the RIU website). It didn't seem as though the hotel really kept track of who was attending the wedding and where they were staying (she had about 140 guests).

If you're worried about a lot of people booking rooms somewhere else, make sure you let them know about the pass they'll have to purchase to go to the wedding. That seems to get people to just book at the RIU :) My friend had a few guests that were living in Jamaica or staying with relatives there, and they booked a room just for the night of the wedding since the cost is about the same as the day pass.

We are having a few guests staying outside of the RMB. But this is the problem-

My FI and I thought it would be best to establish a room contract with the Riu because of the discounts and perks associated with booking 15 rooms.

We also opted with a room contract because we have guests who are paying in monthly installments to afford the trip.

We booked a total of 15 rooms at a particular rate. And we thought we were extended a group discount rate.

Recently, we were alerted by some of our guests that our rates were more expensive than the rates given on Riu.com!

When our WP/TA confronted the Riu about this, they did drop the rates. However, not at the rates that we saw online.

So, I am wondering if it is worth my while to continue negotiating with them... or have my guests book their rooms are their own... or switch resorts all together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA Maureen View Post
Are you working with a travel agent or directly with RIU representative from their res. dept. or group dept.? Did you pay a deposit for the 15 rooms and if so is it still refundable at this point? When you are comparing your group prices to the newly advertised prices are you factoring in your group discount or comp. room if you are receiving any?

We are working with a travel agent who is in direct contact with a RIU representative from their group department.

Our money is 100% refundable until April 15.

When we compared our group prices to the new prices, we did factor everything (comp. room, other group perks).

The representative said that the lower rates were for people who booked individually.... but if that's the case, then why have a group contract?

I don't know if it's even worth staying at the RMB based on this.

Btw- we are bringing at least 30 people to the wedding.