Jump to content

Photo

Photographer Contracts


  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 Dmitri_Markine

Dmitri_Markine
  • Vendor
  • 2,782 posts

    Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

    Long time ago I used to ask for payment on the day the images are delivered. Now I ask for final payment 2 weeks prior to the wedding.
    I only work with select number of couples per year and they all trust me to provide the absolute best photos possible. Never had an issue.

    I changed the policy because a number of times when the images were ready, sometimes it would take an extra month to get paid(too busy,honeymoon,not enough funds,etc).

    There are a ton of scammers out there so do your research before making your selection. Just last year alone I've caught 15 local photographers using some of my images in their own website. I can only imagine there are many more.

    #12 AlexsBride

    AlexsBride
    • Jr. Member
    • 401 posts

      Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:00 PM

      My photographer is pretty lax and actually just told me that I could write out my own contract, what I expected (wedding day, TTD session etc) and then we would come up with a price based on that. I found it difficult to work with his at home wedding packages because a destination wedding is so different. As for payment, I have worked with him before, so I will likely end up paying him just after we return from the trip.
      Mom to two beautiful girls, Izzy and Delilah and about to marry their Daddy! :)

      #13 BeachBride10

      BeachBride10
      • Jr. Member
      • 169 posts

        Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:18 PM

        I was just reading through my contract (have not signed yet) and it states:

        Start/Stop Times: the hourly photographic fee starts when Company X arrives at a site to start setting up equipment. This starts 1/2 hour before the couple wants the first picture taken. The clock stops when the bride/groom states that Company X can depart and all equipment deployed has been packed away.

        The way I am reading this I will have to pay $400 for them to set up and pack up. Does this sound typical/normal? If not, do you think I should be able to negotiate this?

        Thanks for your thoughts
        http://global.thekno...rs/tt1cd71.aspx

        Bride & Groom + 23 Guests Booked

        #14 Dmitri_Markine

        Dmitri_Markine
        • Vendor
        • 2,782 posts

          Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:25 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by BeachBride10

          The way I am reading this I will have to pay $400 for them to set up and pack up. Does this sound typical/normal? If not, do you think I should be able to negotiate this?

          Thanks for your thoughts
          That's part of it. It was very common in previous years and used by traditional photographers and those who do any kind of studio work. Many wedding photographer don't have that clause anymore though as it doesn't make much sense.
          As in, if you are are doing say an family/engagement shoot and only need 1 hour. Do you get any shooting time or will it go towards your photographer's unpacking routine? :) Your photographer should be able to clarify this.

          #15 Dmitri_Markine

          Dmitri_Markine
          • Vendor
          • 2,782 posts

            Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:41 PM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by AlexsBride
            My photographer is pretty lax and actually just told me that I could write out my own contract, what I expected (wedding day, TTD session etc) and then we would come up with a price based on that. I found it difficult to work with his at home wedding packages because a destination wedding is so different. As for payment, I have worked with him before, so I will likely end up paying him just after we return from the trip.
            Not to offend your photographer,but that's not very professional on his side. A lot of photographers use lawyers in creating contracts. They are there to protect both parties.
            What happens if your photographers gets sick?
            What if he/she loses your images?
            What if you cancel
            What if your photographers finds a new couple and cancels on you?
            Who has the copyrights? - Actually in Canada the subject in the photo ALWAYS holds the copyrights unless photographers takes it via a release form. This is a new law). If your photographer does not specify anything in the contract, you can pretty much do anything you want with your pictures and at the same time forbid your photographers in using these images in any way)

            9out10 wedding photographers are part timers and don't know much about contracts,laws and sometimes you need to make sure you are protected as a client too.

            Because what happens if your $1000 photographer finds another couple 1 week before the wedding willing to pay him $3000? You can scream and yell,but without a proper contract you can't do anything(this happens quite a bit..)

            Hope this helps :)

            #16 Boo

            Boo
            • Member
            • 785 posts

              Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:43 PM

              We paid 25% down and the rest is due within 1 week, seemed ok to me

              Good points Dmitri - mind you I shuddered at reading the if the pictures get damaged and we get no pictures, limited liability on behalf of the photographer, yikes! Best not to think about that

              #17 negrildreamer

              negrildreamer
              • Newbie
              • 28 posts

                Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

                i met with several photographers and it was pretty standard to get payment in full before the wedding. there was also a deposit that was required. i am sure some newer photographers looking to get started in the business would be more flexible. maybe a student?

                #18 AlexsBride

                AlexsBride
                • Jr. Member
                • 401 posts

                  Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:48 PM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Dmitri_Markine
                  Not to offend your photographer,but that's not very professional on his side. A lot of photographers use lawyers in creating contracts. They are there to protect both parties.
                  What happens if your photographers gets sick?
                  What if he/she loses your images?
                  What if you cancel
                  What if your photographers finds a new couple and cancels on you?
                  Who has the copyrights? - Actually in Canada the subject in the photo ALWAYS holds the copyrights unless photographers takes it via a release form. This is a new law). If your photographer does not specify anything in the contract, you can pretty much do anything you want with your pictures and at the same time forbid your photographers in using these images in any way)

                  9out10 wedding photographers are part timers and don't know much about contracts,laws and sometimes you need to make sure you are protected as a client too.

                  Because what happens if your $1000 photographer finds another couple 1 week before the wedding willing to pay him $3000? You can scream and yell,but without a proper contract you can't do anything(this happens quite a bit..)

                  Hope this helps :)
                  Thanks for your info. I should have maybe been more clear. I didn't mean to indicate that we are not going to do a contract. He has a standard contract as far as that goes, its just not specific to destination weddings. So that's why I said that we are going to format one together with all of the legal aspects as well as what it is that I am wanting from him. He is not a part time photog, he works as a full time photographer, but is just getting back into destination weddings now that his kids are older.

                  But again, thank you for the info and I will absolutely make sure both parties are protected in the contract. Your photos are beautiful by the way.
                  Mom to two beautiful girls, Izzy and Delilah and about to marry their Daddy! :)

                  #19 DTurner51410

                  DTurner51410
                  • Newbie
                  • 12 posts

                    Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:47 PM

                    Hey Guys..
                    I am having some trouble finding a photographer in Mexico for my wedding.. Im getting Married at Dreams Tulum...
                    I was wondering if anyone has any ideas?!?
                    Also if anyone has any ideas on a DJ?!
                    Thanks....
                    Danielle
                    Bride-To-Be
                    May 14 2010

                    #20 TATrisha

                    TATrisha

                      VIP Member

                    • VIP Member
                    • 12,377 posts
                    • Wedding Date:April 11, 2008
                    • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principle Akumal
                    • LocationWisconsin

                    Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:10 PM

                    Hi Danielle!
                    This forum has a TON of awesome photographers who I'm sure would be willing to photograph your wedding in Mexico!
                    As for a DJ, I have heard of DJ Bijan being really reasonable.
                    Best wishes!

                    ~Trisha~

                    Destination Wedding Photographer & Travel Agent
                    www.faberphotography.com - My latest destination wedding photos can be found HERE

                    Disney Specialist  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

                     
                    Looking for a travel agent that KNOWS DISNEY?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
                     
                    Awards and recognition: 
                    Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)   |  AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  |  Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits | Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner   |   Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
                    sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
                    Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.





                    0 user(s) are reading this topic

                    0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users