Photo

Any 2011 Brides out there?

• Please log in to reply
3537 replies to this topic

#2851 primavera

primavera
  • 428 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

I need your advice ladies. We weren't going to register for gifts, but now by the request of guests who cannot attend the wedding we have changed our mind. I want to add some wording on the registry page on our website to let people know that they do not have to buy us any gifts and their attendance is more than enough. Any suggestions as for how to word this so it comes out right?

April 29, 2011 - Now Jade Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

#2852 josietoms

josietoms
    • 765 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:41 AM

We too didnt have a wedding gift list; there are only 17 of us travelling to Mexico but we are having an AHR so people started asking what we would like. So in our AHR invite we wrote...... 'originally we did not have a gift list as we are getting married in Mexico; however a number of people have still kindly asked if they can buy us a wedding gift. If you would like to contribute towards a wedding gift...........'

And then we had a short poem about how we would prefer money as we are saving to move then year.

Hope this helps x

Josie x

#2853 michelle2011

michelle2011
      • 1,301 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:48 AM

We felt the same. We haven't done invites for Mexico as we knew who was and wasn't coming so didnt see the point but we are having an AHR and sending invites out to that. As we have everything already we didn't want ppl to waste money on gifts (in the nicest possible way) so i've put a verse in our invites to ask for money instead.......no matter if we said we didnt want anything ppl will always buy and not want to come empty handed.

We’ve been together for nine years now
        And we’re not alone
        We have two gorgeous children
        And a lovely family home,

So please don’t be offended
        And please don’t think us brash
        But if you’re thoughts were on a gift
        We’d much prefer the cash!

Once we’ve replaced the old with the new

We can look back and say it was thanks to you!

But please don’t feel you have to participate

just come along and help us celebrate 

#2854 janapana

janapana
        • 591 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by michelle2011 

We felt the same. We haven't done invites for Mexico as we knew who was and wasn't coming so didnt see the point but we are having an AHR and sending invites out to that. As we have everything already we didn't want ppl to waste money on gifts (in the nicest possible way) so i've put a verse in our invites to ask for money instead.......no matter if we said we didnt want anything ppl will always buy and not want to come empty handed.

We’ve been together for nine years now
          And we’re not alone
          We have two gorgeous children
          And a lovely family home,

So please don’t be offended
          And please don’t think us brash
          But if you’re thoughts were on a gift
          We’d much prefer the cash!

Once we’ve replaced the old with the new

We can look back and say it was thanks to you!

But please don’t feel you have to participate

just come along and help us celebrate 

that's ace, just what i'm looking for, think i may steal it and make it my own!!!!

#2855 primavera

primavera
          • 428 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:37 AM

Thanks girls! We are not asking for cash (even though God knows we need it) so I am not sure the poems might work. We have registered at a few stores online to make it easier on guests abroad and added links on our website to our registries. I might go with Josie's suggestion...

#2856 torib

torib
            • 16 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:03 PM

I've been looking at Dessy dresses and I love so many of the chiffon dresses. Also they allow you to play with the colors a lot. Just google it. The website will provide a list of retailers from which to purchase.

Originally Posted by Nan 

can you give me any ideas on bridesmaids dresses? Where can I look? I´m going for a purple and orange  combo... 

#2857 torib

torib
              • 16 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by primavera 

Thanks girls! We are not asking for cash (even though God knows we need it) so I am not sure the poems might work. We have registered at a few stores online to make it easier on guests abroad and added links on our website to our registries. I might go with Josie's suggestion...

Found this information online:

1) Tell your close family members and close friends (wedding party) your wishes and ask them to pass along the information. This allows you to feel less awkward and gets the information out there.

2) Put it on your wedding website. I have had a few friends write on their site (under a link to “gifts”) something to the effect:

“Your presence at our wedding is the best gift we could receive.  But if we’re honored with a gift from you, a monetary gift or a gift card would help us fill in the missing parts of our life together. If you prefer to give a gift, we have also registered at the following stores…”

Something to that effect lets your friends and family know your preference but doesn’t sound pushy at all.

3) Register with a bank. Some banks let you create a registry so that people can give directly to a “wedding fund” or something that you want. In this economy, I wouldn’t recommend that!

4) Register on the websites where you want the gift cards. Most stores let you register for gift cards… that will definitely make it clear to your guests.

#2858 murmel

murmel
                • Resort/Area Ambassadors
                • 1,407 posts
                • Wedding Date:January 24, 2011
                • Wedding Location:Azul Sensatori Mayan Riveria

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by torib 

1) Tell your close family members and close friends (wedding party) your wishes and ask them to pass along the information. This allows you to feel less awkward and gets the information out there.

2) Put it on your wedding website. I have had a few friends write on their site (under a link to “gifts”) something to the effect:

“Your presence at our wedding is the best gift we could receive.  But if we’re honored with a gift from you, a monetary gift or a gift card would help us fill in the missing parts of our life together. If you prefer to give a gift, we have also registered at the following stores…”

Something to that effect lets your friends and family know your preference but doesn’t sound pushy at all.

3) Register with a bank. Some banks let you create a registry so that people can give directly to a “wedding fund” or something that you want. In this economy, I wouldn’t recommend that!

4) Register on the websites where you want the gift cards. Most stores let you register for gift cards… that will definitely make it clear to your guests.

Well said. We are trying to not have our guests bring gifts....I feel they are spending plenty enough.

Nan- love both the dresses. The first one is very bohemian and beachy. Love the ruffled skirt of the second, and I am sure you could replace the ribbon with purple/orange sash. But get the one that makes you feel good!

Married my best friend on January 24, 2011 at Azul Sensatori! :wub:

Ambassador for Azul Sensatori and Karisma resorts

Official Azul Sensatori thread:

http://www.bestdesti... azul sensatori

Recommended Travel agency: Wright Travel

http://www.wrighttravelagency.com/

#2859 primavera

primavera
                • 428 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by torib 

Thanks!! This is great! Our guests are wide spread over the world so I will use no.2. Thanks again!!!

#2860 michelle2011

michelle2011
                  • 1,301 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:37 PM

That's very good to put if you have a gift list or things you want. We've been together over 8 yrs and have everything already and as much as we dont want ppl to buy we know they will. We've been to weddings before and they have just asked for our presence but there is no way i could go and give an empty card so we can relate to how ppl feel. For us the choice of money was the best option. Then they can also give as much or as little as they please. It is a hard subject to approach especially when you know ppl are paying out so much to come to your wedding but i think a little verse on a website or in the invite is a good idea all round. If you put nothing you'd only get ppl calling and asking :o)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users