Jump to content

Photo

Any 2011 Brides out there?


  • Please log in to reply
3537 replies to this topic

#2481 MaggieandJay

MaggieandJay
  • Sr. Member
  • 1,029 posts

    Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:14 PM



    Originally Posted by primavera 

    Hello, I'm a newbie on this forum and getting married in 2011 as well (End of April- Beginning of May). I have read through this whole thread from the beginning and I feel like I know you all by now :) Lots of great advice, it has saved me from many head aches, so thanks!

    I'm still trying to choose a resort. We want to give people the option to bring their kids and find an affordable option since most of our guests will be traveling from Europe and are spending a lot on their tickets already. I love, love, love the Azul Beach & Sensatori but it was a little too expensive for our guests so now I'm looking at Gran Porto Real. If you don't mind me asking, what prices do you feel is a good price for a room/night? I'm starting to think that maybe I'm being unrealistic



    That was my second choice on resorts because I was in the same situation as you. My TA somehow got Azul to come down to only a tad more than The Royal and Gran Porto. Do you have a TA? I would see what they can do in the way of getting those 2 resorts to bid against each other


    Maggie and Jay GOT married on May 15th 2011 at Azul Sensatori. Best International Wedding EVER!

    #2482 cjb0arder13

    cjb0arder13
    • Jr. Member
    • 310 posts

      Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

      Welcome Primavera!! So exciting to have new brides join us.

       

      Picking the resort was THE hardest part of the process for me. And in the end...we ended up changing our resort anyway! I was going to get married at Azul Beach, but found they were doing construction into 2011. Plus, it was a bit on the pricey side.

       

      So now I'm at the Barcelo Maya Palace. To me, a good price was under $1500 with flight for 7 nights. We've gotten very close to that (a little over). No matter what, pick what YOU like. There's always going to be someone complaining, so be prepared for that.

       

      My travel agent also had really good things to say a bout the Gran Porto Real.



      #2483 primavera

      primavera
      • Jr. Member
      • 428 posts

        Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:06 PM


         

        Originally Posted by MaggieandJay 





        That was my second choice on resorts because I was in the same situation as you. My TA somehow got Azul to come down to only a tad more than The Royal and Gran Porto. Do you have a TA? I would see what they can do in the way of getting those 2 resorts to bid against each other


        Yes, I am using Beach Bum Vacations. They have been really good, but my TA is in Mexico now until Aug 1st and as most brides I am impatient :) I'm not sure if they do price matching and have heard that the TA's on BDW do that, that is a really good service that I would like to have. Anyway, emailed her about that today to check if they have it as well. The price I got so far for Azul is double the price at Gran Porto.

         

        Originally Posted by cjb0arder13 

        Welcome Primavera!! So exciting to have new brides join us.

         

        Picking the resort was THE hardest part of the process for me. And in the end...we ended up changing our resort anyway! I was going to get married at Azul Beach, but found they were doing construction into 2011. Plus, it was a bit on the pricey side.

         

        So now I'm at the Barcelo Maya Palace. To me, a good price was under $1500 with flight for 7 nights. We've gotten very close to that (a little over). No matter what, pick what YOU like. There's always going to be someone complaining, so be prepared for that.

         

        My travel agent also had really good things to say a bout the Gran Porto Real.


        Thank you! I really hope this is the hardest part or I will have driven myself crazy long before the wedding lol! My TA told me that Azul Beach is doing construction until May 1st. Barcelo looks nice, but I would like a little smaller resort.

         

        Yeah, we haven't even sent out the STD's yet and already gotten some..hmm...not complaints, but comments on the price estimates.


        April 29, 2011 - Now Jade Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

        #2484 Nicyx

        Nicyx
        • Sr. Member
        • 2,914 posts

          Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:22 PM



          Originally Posted by primavera 

          Hello, I'm a newbie on this forum and getting married in 2011 as well (End of April- Beginning of May). I have read through this whole thread from the beginning and I feel like I know you all by now :) Lots of great advice, it has saved me from many head aches, so thanks!

          I'm still trying to choose a resort. We want to give people the option to bring their kids and find an affordable option since most of our guests will be traveling from Europe and are spending a lot on their tickets already. I love, love, love the Azul Beach & Sensatori but it was a little too expensive for our guests so now I'm looking at Gran Porto Real. If you don't mind me asking, what prices do you feel is a good price for a room/night? I'm starting to think that maybe I'm being unrealistic



          Welcome along... Choosing the resort is definatly the hardest part but after being on here im sure it will become slightly easier with all the info you get.... Wish i found this site whilst in the choosing stages, im sure i would have found it a lot quicker... Cant wait to hear about your planning xox



          #2485 primavera

          primavera
          • Jr. Member
          • 428 posts

            Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

            Thank you Nicyx! I think it is interesting that there are so many UK brides getting married in Mexico. I'm from Sweden (but live in the US) and haven't really seen any other fellow Europeans on here other than from the UK.


            April 29, 2011 - Now Jade Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

            #2486 prettypigpig

            prettypigpig
            • Banned
            • 1,034 posts

              Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:23 PM



              Originally Posted by primavera 

              Hello, I'm a newbie on this forum and getting married in 2011 as well (End of April- Beginning of May). I have read through this whole thread from the beginning and I feel like I know you all by now :) Lots of great advice, it has saved me from many head aches, so thanks!

              I'm still trying to choose a resort. We want to give people the option to bring their kids and find an affordable option since most of our guests will be traveling from Europe and are spending a lot on their tickets already. I love, love, love the Azul Beach & Sensatori but it was a little too expensive for our guests so now I'm looking at Gran Porto Real. If you don't mind me asking, what prices do you feel is a good price for a room/night? I'm starting to think that maybe I'm being unrealistic



              My search was long...and some brides may not be agree with what I am going to say...

              When I first started my research, I went to a TA, she put a big cross on Azul Beach, she said it is a family resort, a bit old ..needed some reno.  then also cross out the other Azul, because it is a family resort and not as nice as other newer resorts that she went to last fall in 2009.  Therefore, I started without any Azul in consideration.

              After that, I was looking at the Dreams resorts (because some of my guests have kids...ugh..so I need to find a kid friendly resort), Dream Tulum is nice, but too far from the airport, I stayed at the Gran Principe Coba last fall which was very close to the Dreams Tulum, I pee 2 times during the transfer, got drunk and took a nap before arriving.  Dreams Rivera is closer...but the kids are CRAZY there, and noise isolation is poor.  Dreams Cancun got poor rating on tripadvisor. 

              Air Transat offers wedding packages with Ocean Turquesa, but it is their first year, a lot of details weren't sorted out, the hotel doesn't allow beach reception during summer because turtles are clubbing on the beach.  Tripadvisor said there are bed bugs!  No thx, I don't wanna take chances...

              Barcelo Mayan Palace has a beautiful gazebo, but their WCs take forever to reply my emails, it drove me nuts...and I would probably go CRAZY before my wedding.

              I stayed at the Gran Porto Real with my mom in 2004, it was a nice place, very very nicely located, there is no need to take a cab to goto Playa Del Carmen.  It is cheaper than the Royal and it is kids-friendly.

              Therefore, I picked the Royal Playa Del Carmen, because guests who are on tight budget /with kids can stay at the Gran Porto Real, and come over to the Royal on my wedding day.  I don't have to be stuck with kids.  I went there for 1 week this June, it was perfect.


              Bonnie

              Married to Mr. El Khaiat on July 4th, 2011 @ Royal Playa Del Carmen


              #2487 primavera

              primavera
              • Jr. Member
              • 428 posts

                Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

                Thanks for the advice Bonnie! Since I have read this thread from the start I know how you feel about kids LOL. I wanted to give my guests the option to bring their kids along if they wanted to (right now it seems as many of them want to leave the kiddos back home though). I feel a lot better about Gran Porto after your reply, I can be picky when it comes to traveling and hotels so nice to hear from someone who also have a lot of travel experience. How is the beach at Gran Porto? Can guests use both resort facilities?


                April 29, 2011 - Now Jade Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

                #2488 MaggieandJay

                MaggieandJay
                • Sr. Member
                • 1,029 posts

                  Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

                  Ladies, I have an offical wedding monogram! YAH!!!MagLogo_fullcolor[1].jpg


                  Maggie and Jay GOT married on May 15th 2011 at Azul Sensatori. Best International Wedding EVER!

                  #2489 nmurch

                  nmurch
                  • Jr. Member
                  • 396 posts

                    Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:22 PM



                    Originally Posted by MaggieandJay 

                    Ladies, I have an offical wedding monogram! YAH!!!

                    MagLogo_fullcolor[1].jpg



                    LOVE IT! soooooo prettttty!!


                    jan 11 cant come soon enough...

                    #2490 lisadias

                    lisadias
                    • Sr. Member
                    • 1,116 posts

                      Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:23 PM

                      Primavera, have you checked out the now jade riviera, close to airport, 15 minutes from playa del carmen, reasonable rates, seperate adult section and alot of fantastic reviews. I have just booked my wedding there april 26th, 2011. Worth a look!






                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users