Photo

starting the name change process...........

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
  • 26,161 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:15 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LC_Rachel
    Jamie- you have to mail in your driver's license? On my social security forms it said just a certified copy of the marriage license? That's weird- is that a state thing because I thought SS was a federal thing?

Anyways- I waited for what felt like 2 hours when I went. Biggest PIA. Now I have 2 names because I haven't converted everything over. I just got my new driver's license and I forget to sign papers in my NEW name. Argh- the pain us women always have to go through.
    Well if you go in to the office you have to prove identity, so the guy on the phone said I'd have to prove it by mail too. He was a troll though so I'm going to call like 2 more times and see what other reps say...lol

#22 jajajaja

jajajaja
    • VIP Member
    • 9,794 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:16 PM

haha. How can you really prove your identity by mail though? They can't exactly compare the picture ID to your face.
      Happily married since 2008

#23 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
      • 26,161 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by LC_Rachel
        haha. How can you really prove your identity by mail though? They can't exactly compare the picture ID to your face.
        Exactly! Plus if they think someone could steal and photocopy my ID, they could also just steal and send in my card...duh!

#24 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 24,768 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:24 PM

don't forget - for those of you (ahem, us) that have been married for a while and haven't changed their name on their passport and want to ... be sure to do it within the year. it costs a lot more and is more painfil if you want over a year!

#25 jajajaja

jajajaja
          • VIP Member
          • 9,794 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:25 PM

I heard it still costs $75 if it's done in the first year. Is that true?
            Happily married since 2008

#26 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
            • 26,161 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:28 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by AnnR
              don't forget - for those of you (ahem, us) that have been married for a while and haven't changed their name on their passport and want to ... be sure to do it within the year. it costs a lot more and is more painfil if you want over a year!
              Dang it...they'll just have to put it on my tab because my year is up in a little over a month and I know I won't get to that!

#27 Sarah

Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 6,996 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

I also procrastinated too long... I'm traveling to Mexico in June with my passport under my old name Sarah C, but I'm legally Sarah S. I'll probably just keep it that way until I have to renew in 10 years...I'm bad.

#28 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 24,768 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Sarah
                  I also procrastinated too long... I'm traveling to Mexico in June with my passport under my old name Sarah C, but I'm legally Sarah S. I'll probably just keep it that way until I have to renew in 10 years...I'm bad.
                  eh - i did the same thing a few weeks ago, i needed to travel under my maiden name so i just used my passport (which i haven't changed yet!). not really a big deal as long as it matches whatever name you're traveling with! so as long as you book under the name that matches your passport, you're golden!

yes - it's $75 still - i am filling out the online app. now and will mail it in beofre June 8th ... they actually make it quite easy!

#29 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 24,768 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:55 PM

this is where i went ... How to Change Your Name in Your Passport

#30 A10CalGal

A10CalGal
                    • VIP Member
                    • 11,403 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

Well, super glad that I'm not alone here...although I've probably been married the longest of all of us offenders. I think I'm going to keep on with the current system. I look forward to hearing your updates Jamy & Ann!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users