Photo

A Bridesmaid Question

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 hat0112

hat0112
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:08 PM

Ok, so I am a bridesmaid for a wedding this New Years Eve. I have shelled out A LOT of money so far for this wedding. Almost $1,000 for the dress, alterations, shoes, bridal shower, bachelor/ette party, and I have to pay for my hair and makeup.

My question is, how much do I have to give the couple from my FI and I for the wedding? I have heard from $50 to $150.

What do you guys think?
    Wedding 10/22/10 Westin Aruba

I love being a Mrs.!

#2 kris

kris
    • 506 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:25 PM

Personally I would be happy with nothing, 50 at most especially if you paid for everything. I told all my bridesmaids I didn't want anything from them because they had to pay for their dresses and their flights to come to my wedding about $2500.00 each.

#3 NaM

NaM
      • 2,256 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:32 PM

I personally wouldn't expect anything from you. The bride should realize you already spent a lot on the wedding and I think a card or a small joint gift from all the BM would be more than sufficent.

#4 TheFutureMrs.Sears

TheFutureMrs.Sears
        • 734 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:32 PM

I guess it depends what you can afford to spend. I always give enough to cover my plate and my guests plate regardless of what I spent to be in the wedding. typically we give anywhere from $250.00 - $300.00. When accepting to be a bridesmaid you are accepting the fact that you are going to spend money on all the things you listed in addition to your gift on the day of the wedding.
          http://global.thekno...rs/tt44496.aspx

52 booked + The Bride and Groom!!!
          http://i69.photobuck....s/DSC02673.jpgMe and my Bridesmaids at my Bachelorette Party on a Roof Top with Manhattan in the background.

#5 snoopAsh

snoopAsh
          • 400 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:23 PM

I wouldn't give anything. I usually show up with chamagne, orange juice, beer and flowers. :) You being there is enough in my opinion.

:)
            http://i682.photobuc....curb/th_55.jpg
            May 29, 2010
            Cancun, Mexico

#6 Jess

Jess
            • 4,455 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:25 PM

I think you are spending enough - if you want to give a gift though I say $50 is more than enough

#7 hat0112

hat0112
              • 1,219 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:17 PM

Sorry - I forgot to mention this isn't a DW and I don't have to travel.
                Wedding 10/22/10 Westin Aruba

I love being a Mrs.!

#8 snoopAsh

snoopAsh
                • 400 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:25 PM

I still don't think that you should give anything else. You gave her your time and money buy throwing her parties. It is a gift from you.

I wouldn't give her anything else.
                  http://i682.photobuc....curb/th_55.jpg
                  May 29, 2010
                  Cancun, Mexico

#9 ~Nicole~

~Nicole~
                  • 4,512 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:44 PM

I agree that they shouldn't really expect anything from you, but I guess it depends what you're comfortable with. DH and I were both in a wedding for our friends this year. Between the two of us we spent about $1500 towards attire, stag, bachelorette and everything else that goes along with it. We gave them $400 as a gift but they are really close friends of ours and we wanted to. I would never think someone is obligated to do that.
                    *Formerly Nikki07*
                    My Planning Thread

#10 super19

super19
                    • 1,123 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:45 PM

I would say $50 is a good amount to give as a gift. I'm sure she appreciates all you've done to be in the wedding and would appreciate any gift that you gave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users