Photo

Mamajuana!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#11 nsbride2010

nsbride2010
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:08 PM

I will say one thing about bringing it back with you though... make sure you put rum in the bottle (if you buy the mix dry) before you come back... we were told coming back into Canada it was not a problem with dry mix but it was confiscated at Customs... the same thing goes for the USA, but apparently the guys down there thought Canada was more lenient... guess not!
    Enjoying marital bliss since July 1st, 2010

#12 pcguy17

pcguy17
    • Banned
    • 18 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

they check your bags for it at the punta cana airport as well

#13 SusieQ

SusieQ
      • 1,603 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by nsbride2010
        It is a great idea!! I had planned on buying it for my wedding party as gifts once we got there, but if I could make it for he AHR it would be great!! Even for the OOT bags, a little bottle would be neat :)
        you actually can buy it and bring it back they do a dry version of it and you have to add the booze when you get home. I bought it and i think FI said it was rum he added. It makes for good stories....

#14 damaris

damaris
        • 462 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:51 PM

Mamajuana is a staple at my house :) I am Dominican, Basically its moonshine. Very strong moonshine lol. you need honey, dominican rum preferably brugal and the actual barks. Once you mix the ingriedients it has to ferment for at least a week. But truthfully the longer the better. By the way you have to mix it before travel or they won't allow it, because of the roots in it its considered a plant.
          65 BOOKED PLUS BRIDE & GROOM

http://global.thekno...rs/tt22b9e.aspx

#15 khomac

khomac
          • 380 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:03 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by damaris
            Mamajuana is a staple at my house :) I am Dominican, Basically its moonshine. Very strong moonshine lol. you need honey, dominican rum preferably brugal and the actual barks. Once you mix the ingriedients it has to ferment for at least a week. But truthfully the longer the better. By the way you have to mix it before travel or they won't allow it, because of the roots in it its considered a plant.
            What about the wine? I remember someone saying you can mix red wine, honey, AND rum all together? Last time I was there, my dad commented that it tasted like Cherry Whiskey.

For those who plan to buy little bottles and make it there, keep in mine that the neck of the bottle needs to be big enough to fit some of the bark.
            Kelly & Pablo

http://www.michaelsteingard.com
            Michael and Phil Steingard are located in Ontario, but travel to Punta Cana quite often during the year. There is a good chance they will be down already during your wedding week, so this will cut travel costs

#16 lesandlynda

lesandlynda
            • 199 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:56 PM

Excellent idea, girl! what a great fit with wedding celebrations......and all the guests, because it's well known to ensure.......if mama wanna, papa can......hahaha

#17 damaris

damaris
              • 462 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:37 AM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by khomac
                What about the wine? I remember someone saying you can mix red wine, honey, AND rum all together? Last time I was there, my dad commented that it tasted like Cherry Whiskey.

For those who plan to buy little bottles and make it there, keep in mine that the neck of the bottle needs to be big enough to fit some of the bark.
                Yes you can use wine instead of honey. They use it to cure the roots.

You can buy Mamajuana anywhere and in all sizes in DR, so don't worry about having to take bottles. The most important factor is that it ferments. So don't expect to prepare it that morning and drink it that night. You want to buy it from someone that has it already prepared. The longer its been sitting around the stronger it is.

#18 Outdoor_girl1010

Outdoor_girl1010
                • 657 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:57 AM

I am in love with doing this for my AHR, But my question is can you buy it on line pre mixed not the dry stuff? The reason I ask this is I didnt know if I were to buy it down there premixed if it will count towards my limit of alcohol. We are big Rum drinker, so I had planned to use all of my alcohol limit on DR Rum.
                  Cory & Jennifer
                  March 13, 2010Punta Cana D.R.!!http://i150.photobuc....3/IMG_6740.jpg

#19 damaris

damaris
                  • 462 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:26 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Outdoor_girl1010
                    I am in love with doing this for my AHR, But my question is can you buy it on line pre mixed not the dry stuff? The reason I ask this is I didnt know if I were to buy it down there premixed if it will count towards my limit of alcohol. We are big Rum drinker, so I had planned to use all of my alcohol limit on DR Rum.
                    I don't think so. I've never seen it in liqour stores in my neighborhood, and I live in Washington Heights, which is like a small little DR

#20 Outdoor_girl1010

Outdoor_girl1010
                    • 657 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:14 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by damaris
                      I don't think so. I've never seen it in liqour stores in my neighborhood, and I live in Washington Heights, which is like a small little DR
                      Do you happen to know if they count that as part of your alcohol limit when you come back to the states? I don't mind buying it down there is it doesn't count as part of my limit!

Thanks for you help!
                      Jennifer
                      Cory & Jennifer
                      March 13, 2010Punta Cana D.R.!!http://i150.photobuc....3/IMG_6740.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users