Need casual yet classic destination dress ideas

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lwav8176

lwav8176
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:18 AM

Hi Ladies,

I am having trouble finding the right dress for my oceanfront wedding next July. I was aiming for a classic, casual, steamlined look, but everything I see in the stores seems to be too formal or is chifon and flowy but makes me look like I am hiding something. I am looking for a something a little more slimfitting. I do like some dresses from the wtoo line, Sandals, and Nicole Miller. They are simple yet have some fun details. The catch is that I want to keep the cost below $1500.

Also, I live in Toronto, so if there are any specific store suggestions that would be extra helpful!

Any suggestions on other designers would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#2 sjmacphe

sjmacphe
    • 291 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:03 AM

Hey there, not sure if you will like this designer - but your description sounds a lot like the style of the designer who makes my dress - Paloma Blanca (not, not all of the dresses are simple, lots have accents etc) but I think they are quite flattering on. Most are in the 1500-2000 range. You should check them out - they are based out of Toronto so I'm sure lots of stores carry their line(s). I think Maggie Sottero makes some beautiful dresses, most have lots of detail, but they don't ALL - you should just look at tons of styles. I think you need to try on a bunch, and then you will know what is the most flattering on you :)

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

#3 sjmacphe

sjmacphe
      • 291 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:13 AM

Have you also looked at JCrew's bridal selection - they are more fun/casual, but most I would say are pretty flowy/do not form to the body (depends on what styles you like), they might have some that you could work with! I don't know where you can find them to try on, I think you might have to order it - but they are quite reasonably priced. Good luck .

PS - Have you tried on any Nicole Miller dresses, some of those are really gorgeous!

#4 sweetiecat

sweetiecat
        • 186 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:35 AM

I second the JCrew suggestion! They have a good variety of dresses with good prices. I wore a bridesmaids dress from them this summer, and it was really well made (and had pockets!).

#5 lwav8176

lwav8176
          • 18 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. I think that I am also going to look into white/ivory bridesmaid dresses as an option.

#6 *Meagan*

*Meagan*
            • 5,521 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:51 AM

Check out jcrew for sure! and maggie sottero she has dresses of all different styles! Good Luck. You will def. find the one!

#7 Jennifer Davis

Jennifer Davis
              • 582 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:12 PM

J. Crew is a great idea. Nordstrom has a bridal section too with some nice dresses. Many of the Nicole Miller dresses are in your price point (My Nicole Miller was under $1,000).

#8 bahiabride2010

bahiabride2010
                • 997 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:59 PM

Hey There...I'm a bride in Toronto and had good luck finding inexpensive, well relatively of course, dresses at Bridal and Beyond in Mississauga. I found my dress there and they had a lot of choice for lighter more streamlined gowns appropriate for a DW in July, it's going to be HOT!

This is a link to my dress:

Zuri - by Maggie Sottero

#9 bahiabride2010

bahiabride2010
                  • 997 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

Mine was $800!

#10 pinayflava

pinayflava
                    • 193 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

oohh check out Maggie Sottero destination wedding dresses they have a great selection :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users