Photo

Is a Welcome Dinner expected?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#11 lisa_k

lisa_k
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:58 PM

We are doing a welcome dinner, but it's more of a cocktail party with some food on the side. I don't think it's necessary but we were thinking that everyone will want to get together to say hi after arriving.

Also, our friends are big partiers. So we figured we'd let them get drunk on Thursday night so maybe they will be too worn out to party really hard on Friday night. That way, they're all rested up for the wedding on Saturday night!

#12 snoopAsh

snoopAsh
    • 400 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:01 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by lisa_k
      We are doing a welcome dinner, but it's more of a cocktail party with some food on the side. I don't think it's necessary but we were thinking that everyone will want to get together to say hi after arriving.

Also, our friends are big partiers. So we figured we'd let them get drunk on Thursday night so maybe they will be too worn out to party really hard on Friday night. That way, they're all rested up for the wedding on Saturday night!
      Good plan Lisa! WE are doing the same thing for that VERY SAME reason! LOL!
      http://i682.photobuc....curb/th_55.jpg
      May 29, 2010
      Cancun, Mexico

#13 Gr8ful

Gr8ful
      • 155 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

Totally not necessary. The only reason why we are having one is b/c my FMIL offered to do it, and we jumped at the opportunity! Cocktails, or even a night to relax in your room would be perfectly fine.

#14 autjo

autjo
        • 2,182 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:54 PM

We aren't doing a welcome dinner because people are coming in Wed, Thurs, Fri for the Sat ceremony. We are doing happy hour in the lobby bar every day. Wednesday is just a meet and greet. Thursday is Crazy Christmas Outfit theme. And Friday we are having a surprise birthday cake for all of the guests with December birthdays. People can come hang out if they want or not... it's their vacay too :)

Hahahaha! I can only wish that one night of partying would wear out my friends! Every time we all get together is a total drunk fest for days.

Quote:
          Originally Posted by lisa_k
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by snoopAsh
          Good plan Lisa! WE are doing the same thing for that VERY SAME reason! LOL!

#15 Jennybell1

Jennybell1
          • 661 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

Its a DW - so nothing is set in stone. You can do or not do whatever you want. Thats the beauty of it. I dont think anything is expected other then the fact there will be a wedding sometime durind their trip. Do whatever you want to do...and have fun!

#16 itsfinallyhere

itsfinallyhere
            • 573 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:07 PM

We choose to have a welcome dinner for several reasons....
              1) So everyone could meet and be introduced and know we are part of the same party (some of guest are from overseas, and a number of them don't know each other)
              2) added bonus because our resort has 7 ala cart restaurants but our packages only include two reservations. So we have a welcome dinner and a reception that takes care of 2 of the 7. As it turns out our resort is closing 2 restaurants for the slow season, so that brings us down to 3 restaurants left on the resort for our guests to try!
              3) we are provided with this courtesy from the resort because of the business we are bringing them.

Remember also this is a good way for the staff to learn who is part of your party too. I plan on doing a little extra "tipping" in the beginning of my trip in hopes of getting that little bit extra for the guests that I have coming. Because sometimes going out of your a little will make all the difference.

#17 sweetiecat

sweetiecat
              • 186 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:42 AM

I like the welcome cocktail idea as well. Basically, just anything to get your guests acquainted with one another at the start of the mini vacation will help everyone feel more comfortable.

#18 *Meagan*

*Meagan*
                • 5,521 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:10 AM

All of our guests are arriving on different days. So we will not be doing a welcome dinner or cocktail hour. We will spend time with all of our guests when they get there and they will just continue to add to our party and fun.

I think the joy of a DW is you can do whatever you want to do and your guests will have fun no matter what!

#19 allyson779

allyson779
                  • 238 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

Instead of a welcome dinner we are hosting a bonfire on the beach with cocktails and smores.
                    Bride & Groom plus 86 booked!!!

#20 Danyelle

Danyelle
                    • 368 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:13 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by allyson779
                      Instead of a welcome dinner we are hosting a bonfire on the beach with cocktails and smores.
                      that's a cute idea!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users