Sign in to follow this  

Hi All!!!

So I was recently informed by my mother that I absolutely MUST be married by a conservative rabbi... apparently, a reformed one just won't do. I have been googling the hell out of this for the last couple of weeks, but can't seem to get anywhere. I have heard rumors that there are some in Mexico City, but I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I would really like an English speaking one so that I can communicate with him before the wedding about what we want and don't want in our ceremony, who we are, etc. Also, if anyone knows any conservative rabbis in the northeast that would be willing to make the trip down, I am more than open to that too! HELP!!!!

I take it you do not have a rabbi in Ny? I would suggest having your religious ceremony at home and your wedding away

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalitInNY View Post
Hi All!!!

So I was recently informed by my mother that I absolutely MUST be married by a conservative rabbi... apparently, a reformed one just won't do. I have been googling the hell out of this for the last couple of weeks, but can't seem to get anywhere. I have heard rumors that there are some in Mexico City, but I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I would really like an English speaking one so that I can communicate with him before the wedding about what we want and don't want in our ceremony, who we are, etc. Also, if anyone knows any conservative rabbis in the northeast that would be willing to make the trip down, I am more than open to that too! HELP!!!!
i don't mean to come across mean, but i don't know how else to word this question! why does your mother get any say in your wedding day? unless you agree too, of course - but this is YOUR day, and you call the shots! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyP View Post
I take it you do not have a rabbi in Ny? I would suggest having your religious ceremony at home and your wedding away
FI and I aren't very religious and our parent's rabbis are a little too religious to make the trip. Basically, the problem is that the wedding will have non-kosher food which is a pretty big no-no among the jews. As far as having our religious ceremony at home, we really wanted to have the ceremony on the beach be the "the one," you know? We aren't even telling ANYONE about our NY civil wedding because we don't want it to take away from the DW in Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akh View Post
i don't mean to come across mean, but i don't know how else to word this question! why does your mother get any say in your wedding day? unless you agree too, of course - but this is YOUR day, and you call the shots! :)
That's not mean at all! I guess I should specify that I am Israeli, so its more of a cultural thing than a religious thing. FI and I always wanted a jewish wedding, but we didnt care what "degree"... any Rabbi would have been good. Plus my family, and especially my parents, have been sooo incredibly supportive about a DW... more than I ever imagined. I just know that it would mean so much to my parents that we have a wedding that was recognized by their faith and our family in Israel. It's definitely more than just an obligation on my part... it's a way to honor my parents and the way they raised me...

Last but not least - have you ever experienced jewish mother guilty? It's the stuff legends are made of! smile35.gif

Quote:
That's not mean at all! I guess I should specify that I am Israeli, so its more of a cultural thing than a religious thing. FI and I always wanted a jewish wedding, but we didnt care what "degree"... any Rabbi would have been good. Plus my family, and especially my parents, have been sooo incredibly supportive about a DW... more than I ever imagined. I just know that it would mean so much to my parents that we have a wedding that was recognized by their faith and our family in Israel. It's definitely more than just an obligation on my part... it's a way to honor my parents and the way they raised me...

Last but not least - have you ever experienced jewish mother guilty? It's the stuff legends are made of! smile35.gif
that makes all teh sense in the world! i just wasn't sure if it was something that was being forced on you - and it doesn't sound like it is. i just wish i could help you find what you need!

lol - i'll have to take your word on the jewish mother thing ... !

Thanks Ann! By the way, I have to tell you I just watched your slide show again because I was trying to figure out the name of one of the songs on there (when you say nothing at all) and I got all teared up all over again... your wedding pictures are so beautiful and perfect... I felt like I was there!

Quote:
Thanks Ann! By the way, I have to tell you I just watched your slide show again because I was trying to figure out the name of one of the songs on there (when you say nothing at all) and I got all teared up all over again... your wedding pictures are so beautiful and perfect... I felt like I was there!
Awww - thank you! I love it - I keep watching it too! I have to give credit to Leigh - she did an amazing job. I can't wait to see the rest of my pictures!