Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#181 cupcake1382

cupcake1382
  • Site Supporter
  • 252 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:09 AM

I've heard they have tried to incorporate more Jamaican "stuff" into the resort. We are leavin on Wednesday so I will make sure I write a detailed review. As a seasoned traveler, I too look for lots of culture, customs etc in a place I am going. I did hear by lots of people that the jerk chicken in the hut on the resort is amazing.

Thanks for the insight JayKay.  It's very reassuring to hear someone else's experiences.  How is your planning experience to this point? 

Right now, I am torn between the Gran Bahia and the RIU Ocho Rios.  My fiance and I both agree that pricing for our guests is what matters the most, and both resorts offer comparable prices.  I've been to the Gran Bahia back in 2007 when they first opened.  The only thing that I didn't like at that point was that because the hotel chain is Spanish, they had a lot of Spanish influence.  It was wierd to be in Jamaica and not have tradition Jerk Chicken while on the resort.  Can anyone tell me if the resort has adopted more Jamaican influences since it has opened? I heard from friends that the RIU does have more Jamaican culture at their resort. Just so you know, I've been for 4 other Gran Bahia hotels before, so I do really like the chain of resorts.

09-10-11
    Runaway Bay, Jamaica
    I married my best friend!

#182 JayKay

JayKay
    • 3,472 posts
    • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
    • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
    • LocationSouthern Alberta

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:06 AM

One of my closest friends goes there once a year every year.  She said that when it first opened it really didn't have much Jamaican feel to it.  When she came back last year she said she felt like they had incorporated more and more jamaican things throughout the past few years.  She told me the Jerk Chicken is absolutely amazing!!

Originally Posted by PrincessKO 

Thanks for the insight JayKay.  It's very reassuring to hear someone else's experiences.  How is your planning experience to this point? 

Right now, I am torn between the Gran Bahia and the RIU Ocho Rios.  My fiance and I both agree that pricing for our guests is what matters the most, and both resorts offer comparable prices.  I've been to the Gran Bahia back in 2007 when they first opened.  The only thing that I didn't like at that point was that because the hotel chain is Spanish, they had a lot of Spanish influence.  It was wierd to be in Jamaica and not have tradition Jerk Chicken while on the resort.  Can anyone tell me if the resort has adopted more Jamaican influences since it has opened? I heard from friends that the RIU does have more Jamaican culture at their resort. Just so you know, I've been for 4 other Gran Bahia hotels before, so I do really like the chain of resorts.

#183 toesinsand30

toesinsand30
    • 82 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:26 AM

UGH - I still need your help, I am still having issues getting the groomsmen attire sorted out.  We cannot seem to find shirts and pants for them.  Its hard because one of the girls is a size 44 waist and a XXL shirt and the other guy is my FH nephew who is 14 but is a 26 waist and size XS or S (if we get it tailored) any suggestions ???? please :)

October 18, 2011 Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
      I married my bestfriend with 60 of our closest family and friends

and I would do it all over again :D

#184 acw271011

acw271011
      • Moderators
      • 3,128 posts
      • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
      • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
      • LocationToronto Area

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

You're in Milton - do you ever go across to the US? If so, I HIGHLY recommend Kohls in Niagara. They have right up to XXXL sizing. My FI just got a beautiful Chaps suit last weekend for $150 plus we had a 20% off coupon so $120 for a suit!. Then we found him a cool mauve coloured shirt to go with the suit on clearance for $9.60, plus the 20% off!  This weekend is all the labour day sales so a trip would be worth it even if you do end up paying duty! You're still way ahead of the game. I have a 15% off coupon for this weekend I can send you if you want and directions to the nice one just on the other side of the border. Have you also tried Moore's? They can have good sales as well. Square 1 should have something good too. Hope that helps! Our countdown is on - 6 weeks from Saturday!!

Originally Posted by toesinsand30 

UGH - I still need your help, I am still having issues getting the groomsmen attire sorted out.  We cannot seem to find shirts and pants for them.  Its hard because one of the girls is a size 44 waist and a XXL shirt and the other guy is my FH nephew who is 14 but is a 26 waist and size XS or S (if we get it tailored) any suggestions ???? please :)

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#185 toesinsand30

toesinsand30
      • 82 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

woot woot !!!! 44 days then we take off !!!!

I am actually going to khols on tuesday :) taking the day off work to do a US run to go shopping for the shirts and pants hopefully we will find something.  Problem is with stores here most their fall stuff is out and summer stuff is no where to be seen :(

We are going to a place in Kitchener on saturday called Trends, but I have a feeling I wont find anything and Im hoping Khols will pull through for us :)

October 18, 2011 Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
        I married my bestfriend with 60 of our closest family and friends

and I would do it all over again :D

#186 cupcake1382

cupcake1382
        • Site Supporter
        • 252 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

Try www.island importer.com and www.kgstores.com. They both sell extended sizes. My ex football player hubby 6'2, is a 44 waist 34 length and wears a 4x shirt and we frequent both of those sites for suits, dress clothes for him. For the wedding we got an aqua shirt for him and our son for the wedding. Also I am not sure if this is available to you but www.jimsformalwear.com is where we rented his tux.
          09-10-11
          Runaway Bay, Jamaica
          I married my best friend!

#187 treesa

treesa
          • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

For the ladies who are from the 'Toronto' area, who did you do you booking with? We want this resort for July 2012 and can't seem to find anything reasonable. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

#188 AngelaandTrevor

AngelaandTrevor
            • 54 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by treesa 

For the ladies who are from the 'Toronto' area, who did you do you booking with? We want this resort for July 2012 and can't seem to find anything reasonable. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

#189 treesa

treesa
              • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:52 AM

Thank you

#190 PrincessKO

PrincessKO
                • 10 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:45 AM

I haven't booked as of yet, but I will be booking with Michelle at Sunwing. A friend of the family suggested her, and she offered us a lot of insight about the resorts and destination weddings.  With our date being in November 2012 she even advised us on when to look into pricing in order to get the best price.

Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users