Trying to restore my mom's wedding dress to wear...any ideas??

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 IrishgirlinNY

• 938 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:25 PM

I am planning on wearing my mothers wedding dress on my wedding day, but am having trouble finding a place that I can trust to clean and alter the dress. The dress is 35 years old this December and was kept in a shopping bag in the basement since I can remember so it is a dark beige and has some stains. I was just wondering if there is anyone that has done this before and if there is anyone in the NYC area that can advise of a place I can possibly bring the dress.

Thanks Shannon

#2 Vikki

• 807 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:17 PM

Wow - I love that you are doing that. I wanted to do the same but my mom was married in a long-sleeved, heavy cotton hippie dress :-) Way too hot for the beach....

I did a google search for wedding dress restoration new york city and came up with a ton of responses but I don't know what area you're in so I didn't want to post any. I would specifically look for somewhere that can handle vintage clothing though because with the length of time that has been bundled up it's probably in worse shape than a dress that had just been in a closet.

Good luck!

#3 IrishgirlinNY

• 938 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:42 PM

I actually brought the dress to one place that does garment care and they were not positive they could get it looking good. I have to try other places, so I thought I would just put the word out and see if anyone has gotten this done before. My parents got married in December so it does need some altering, but the cleaning is the biggest part. Hers also has long sleeves so I am planning on cutting them off and doing a little altering around the neckline, but otherwise leaving as is.
        Thanks for the input..I will definitely keep looking..

#4 JT3

• 443 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:35 PM

I think this is sooo sweet... Hey not to sound stalkerish but I live so close for maspeth my Fiance actually lives in Maspeth...

#5 IrishgirlinNY

• 938 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:42 PM

Really? That's so funny! I have lived here all my life. My fiance actually lives in Bellerose, so he is a little more of a long island guy (right on the border). Nice to hear from a neighbor!

#6 ~*Lisa*~

• 2,287 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:50 PM

Wow, what I wonderful idea! I really wish that I could help. I guess yellow pages/internet would be your best bet. Your mom must be so happy to know that you want to wear her dress.

#7 IrishgirlinNY

• 938 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:03 PM

I am sure she is thrilled. She just passed away on August 30 this year. We had always discussed it since I was a little girl and I knew this had to be the dress I wear. I have no doubt she is so happy.

#8 ~*Lisa*~

• 2,287 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:50 AM

awww I am so sorry for your loss! I am sure that you're mother is proud!

#9 vlynnw

• 6,003 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:05 AM

That is such a nice idea. I don't think I would ever be able to do that my parents eloped and I have no idea what my mother wore. I hope you find a place to restore it, such a great sentiment to use her dress!
                    Veronica & Adam - May 6, 2011 - Dreams Tulum

#10 alkoch

• 515 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

I would get the word out and ask colleagues, friends and family. I found a lady to do my alterations by asking people at work for recommendations. That way you know what kind of work they do. I wanted to use the fabric from my moms dress to make one for me, but she talked me out of it. Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users