Photo

College survival kit

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SDSteph

SDSteph
  • 812 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:59 PM

So I want to put together a kit for my little cousin for her 1st dorm and year in college, and tring to get ideas of what to include. thanks for ur help in advance.
    Steph and Kel Mayan Riveria - February 2011http://www.stephnkelwedding.com

#2 mrsrhbtobe

mrsrhbtobe
    • 387 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:06 PM

Cute ideas Megan! What about adding some fun books to read, like "What Smart Women Know", which is a good book for women about men and relationships. I'd also add some flip-flops for the showers, and maybe one of those cute towel body wraps that have velcro on them that you could wear to and from the shower. Easy Mac is also a fun midnight study snack.
      Love is not about finding the right person, but creating a right relationship. It's not about how much love you have in the beginning but how much love you build till the end.

#3 autjo

autjo
      • 2,182 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

Oooo... I love putting this type of stuff together. The dollar store and big lots are your friend.

Here is a cute poem that I have used:
        Craft survival kits make fun and resourceful gifts for parents, kids, friends, teachers.

If you think the poem is dumb just put together a big basket of useful stuff:
        Laundry basket
        Detergent
        Dryer sheets
        Dish soap
        Plastic cups, plates, utensils
        Food you can make in the microwave: easy mac, ramen, etc.
        School stuff: binders, pens, etc.
        White board for the door
        Cute towel, spa wrap
        Shower caddy
        Shower flip flops
        Bath stuff
        You get the picture...

#4 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 8,569 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:14 PM

I know in the dorms I loved having this; for covering up while getting ready and stuff and walking to and from the showers. --- LOVED IT!!!
          Personalized Terry Cloth Bath Wrap

#5 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 8,569 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:14 PM

Oh and tons and tons of Fabreeze!

#6 sn0048

sn0048
            • 264 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:27 PM

You may want to consider adding a giftcard to Target or Walmart...there's a million random things people forget and that could be super helpful :)

#7 Donie Jordan

Donie Jordan
              • 381 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:00 PM

I would definitely put all your items in a shower caddy if you decide on small stuff - those were invaluable in the dorms when I was in college! And the bath wrap is a great idea, I used a great VS knee length terrycloth robe for the same purpose.

#8 *Karla*

*Karla*
                • 4,854 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:07 PM

All these lists are great. I would also add a small bedside reading lamp.

#9 NaM

NaM
                  • 2,256 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:45 PM

- Gift cards are always great! esp to Target and food place because campus food get way old way fast.
                    - Bath towels or a wrap
                    -Laundry detergent
                    -Tylenol, actually a whole medicine box! I got sick a lot my freshmen year with everything going around in the dorms and my roommate had one of these and it probably saved our lives.
                    - Portable toilet paper (I know this sounds strange but I remember in college we went to many a party where the bathrooms were always being used or completely broken, if you did get in there was no TP so we'd always go outside and it was great to have - I once saw a girl wipe herself with used TP she found on the ground in the woods and wanted to puke, freshmen )
                    - an extra set a bed sheets was nice if you couldn't get home to do laundry or didn't want to do it there
                    - a t-shirt from her school

Cute idea. This is something she'll really appreciate!

#10 SDSteph

SDSteph
                    • 812 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:26 PM

yea my mom is doing the gift thing but FI and decided to do some really goofy stuff. The portable TP for sure thanks for that idea. so exciting =)
                      Steph and Kel Mayan Riveria - February 2011http://www.stephnkelwedding.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users