Sign in to follow this  
holstang

Father-Daughter Song- Need Opinions

The thread about father daughter songs got me to thinking.

Just a thought, but would it be strange if I picked a song not because of the lyrics, but because it reminds me of my dad?

Everytime I hear "Hotel California" I instantly think of my dad driving me around in his bug around town when I was a kid. I looked up the lyrics, although it doesn't have a happy "father-daughter" theme to it, it doesn't have gross lyrics or anything. Do you think this would be appropriate?

I wasn't even going to have the father daughter dance, but my dad recently suffered a serious heart attack, and now I feel it's important to do it. We really didn't have any special songs growing up. I'd like to dance to something meaningful, and I think he would laugh if he heard this song played while we danced.

What do you think?

I think thats a great idea and love that there is a story behind it. Maybe you could even tell your guests the story if you feel weird just randomly dancing to it...I don't think the dance HAS to have father daughter lyrics to make it special :) I told my dad he could pick our father/daughter song........who knows what he'll come up with but it shoud be interesting!

I think that's a great idea! IMO it's much more important to have a song that actually has some personal meaning for you, than one with some sappy lyrics. Your post made me laugh too because when my mom got remarried in Mexico, Hotel California was their wedding song! The guitarist really didn't know too many English songs, so he played Hotel California and Yesterday (not exactly the most uplifting song for a weddinghuh.gif) So now they say Hotel California was their wedding song and laugh about it wink.gif

Just remember its your day and any song that you pick will be great and have meaning to you and that person. Just because it doesnt say anything about father/daughter people will understand the meaning.

What on earth is with the shitfans in everyones siggy lately? LOL

I'm doing I don't want to miss a thing from Aerosmith...it's a love song for sure, but I remember watching Armageddon with my dad and that was the 2nd time (of 3 ever) in my life i'd ever seen him cry when Liv Tyler is saying goodbye Bruce Willis. It's always reminded me of that, so that's what it is :)

That song is actually my dad and my song too! BUT, we tried dancing to it at my brother's wedding, and it's really hard to dance to, unless you have a guitarist play it or something so they can slow it down. We scratched it off our list as soon as that was over because it was waaaay too hard - it's an in between speed that's really difficult.

If you want to do it anyway, just make sure you practice first! And really, who gives a crap about the lyrics - if it's "your song" that's what makes it special cheesy.gif

Yeah, I was worried about the tempo as well while I was listening to it. I found a really nice acoustical version online that's just instrumental, so I think I'm going to use that one.

And I'm definitely going to take the advice of a previous poster and just make a little statement before we start the dance as to why the song is significant.

Thanks ladies, you're awesome!