Photo

gel nails

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#11 BlakleyBrideToBe

BlakleyBrideToBe
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

I get mine about one every two weeks and have been for about 5 years now. I have never had a problem. They start to grow out right about two weeks, so if you get them done a couple of days before you leave you should be good for your wedding. Plus most Hotels have offer refills.

#12 Kristy!

Kristy!

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 6,368 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

Stick with the gel. Soooo much better than acrylic. I had to get mine done 8 days before my wedding and they held up fine. You'll love them.

#13 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 8,569 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:11 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by kstinson1503
        My girls & I went to get our nails done the day before we left for Hawaii. Myself & 2 of my girls got acrylic (white tips) & my sister (b/c she has fantastic nails to begin with) got gel. I have to say that her nails looked horrid by day 3. I don't know if it was the salt water or the chlorine from the pool, but her nails were sticky & her white french paint on the ends had chipped & gotten sticky, forcing her to get a touch-up before the wedding. The rest of us got acrylic with white tips, which was fantastic. I have done acrylics many times in the past, but had never heard of the white tips. When you use the white tips versus the clear ones, you don't have to use any polish (just clear as a top coat.) So needless to say, my nails looked great for 3 weeks before I needed a fill. Good luck, but you might consider white tips for no stress wedding nails.

I had a reaction like this with a regular pedicure and the "spray" sunscreen. Something intereacted with the spray and the type of top coat and it was a sticky mess! Possibly this is what happened to your sis?

#14 Married_In_Maui

Married_In_Maui
        • 929 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:14 PM

double post ...oops

#15 Married_In_Maui

Married_In_Maui
          • 929 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:24 PM

That is a def possiblity; she was the only one out of the group that used the spray sunscreen. For some reason, I can't use that stuff, it burns my skin & leaves me feeling sticky. Anyhow, that would be weird if it was the sunscreen; you might have solved the strange nail mystery :)

#16 ~*Lisa*~

~*Lisa*~
            • 2,287 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

That is weird with the sunscreen! My nail lady told me to put a clear coat of polish overtop the nails so that they dont' get stained from dark jeans or whatever.

#17 Married_In_Maui

Married_In_Maui
              • 929 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:47 AM

I have never had any trouble with mine staining from anything other than turning yellow (yuck) from using the tanning bed. So beware!! (I'm not sure if this is just for acrylic or if it stands true for the gel as well, but I wouldn't want you to find out the hard way.)

#18 hunniebee724

hunniebee724
                • 340 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:58 AM

Your nails look great!

#19 GregsBride

GregsBride
                  • 333 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

I have gel nails and have been getting them done for several years now... I stopped doing acrylics because after some time then begin to get yellow. I get my nails filled every 2-3 weeks.

I will offer a bit of a warning though... If you have pretty strong nails and are only planning on wearing them for your wedding you may experience some damaged to your real nails. This will take a few weeks to repair since you pretty much have to wait until that portion of the nail grows out. So this may be something you want to keep in mind :)
                    ~Christina

#20 koolatta

koolatta
                    • 321 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

Great post. I actually had the same questions since my friend just told me this week about getting gel nails since I dont want to worry about the polish comng off or my nails breaking the week before my wedding. I think I'm going to go with them!! My wedding is on the 14th and I leave on Nov 8th...do you think they will hold up?

Thanks ladies
                      http://tickers.Ticke....4ed2/event.png

21 + Bride & Groom Booked!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users