Jump to content

Photo

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Brides??


  • Please log in to reply
1691 replies to this topic

#601 MJKH

MJKH
  • Site Supporter
  • 654 posts

    Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

    Oh, I know.  I screwed it up too when, at our open house two months before the wedding, I put ALL of the options down on a piece of paper for people to sign up for.  Then, I got an e-mail from Aracely that said because at the palapa they set up a mobile kitchen, it is very difficult to be able to successfully execute that many entrees and have the service run as smoothly and quickly as it could if your entrees were limited.  I totally got that and it was my bad to offer ALL options to our guests.  Yet, on the other hand, it is completely unnecessary for an expensive meal to go to a child when what they would rather have is a burger or nuggets...and what about the vegetarians in the group???

     

    When we got to the resort though and sat down with Elizabeth, there were absolutely no issues...she gave us a choice of options for the kids...and it wasn't an issue for us to have the steak and lobster and salmon.  Keep it simple on your end...but they also have to realize that it's totally unreasonable for ALL of the guests to be served ONE option.  The response I got via e-mail was always "I'll check with the chef"...but when we got there we worked it all out.

     

    On a side note, we asked that our salmon simply be grilled and not smothered in a clam sauce which was indicated on their menu.  I haven't read any reviews about this combo...and I'm not a seafood lover...but to me this didn't really "go".  Those guests that had the grilled salmon were very happy.

     

     

    Originally Posted by Prometida 

    MJKH,

    Thank you so much for all your help, you are really super sweet!.

    I have a question. I asked if I could select 2 choices of main dish for the weeding and they told me "no". While reading your review you were able to give the options for steak and lobster. How did you do that?.

    It just drives me crazy that the comunication is not consistent.

    I appreciate your help

    P



     



    #602 Prometida

    Prometida
    • Newbie
    • 46 posts

      Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

      MJKH,

      I have a last question. How was the cocktail hour?. Did you order more canapes for people or it was enough food for everyone?. What happened to the people when they were waiting for you. Did you started the open bar there for them? or did you wait until you arrive?.

       

      I can't stop thanking you for all your help, but most of all for your willingness to help us!.

      Best,

      P

       



      #603 MJKH

      MJKH
      • Site Supporter
      • 654 posts

        Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

        Oh yes, the canapes.  We have this priceless photo of my 8 year old nephew biting into what he thinks is a blackberry on a small piece of toast and it's actually caviar...he has this look of horror on his face.  I hate seafood/pate/fois gras and I had seen a picture of the canapes from a previous bride...and in the back of my head I thought, "I should ask if there are any other options"...but totally forgot.

         

        So, after the ceremony we had a quick glass of champagne and started into group photos right away.  When we went off to take pics on our own, the guests continued with the champagne and helped themselves to the canapes.  We were only gone around 90 minutes, but knowing that people would be getting hungry, we provided Elizabeth with snack packs of nuts, Pringles, etc. (the nuts were brought from home - Costco and the rest purchased at Wal-Mart in Playa) to put out in baskets on the tables to have with their drinks.  In the end, I think we paid for an extra hour or two of bar service, but it was for the best.  We also had games out on the tables...decks of cards, Scrabble flash, etc. and one of my friends took care of facilitating our guest book/instant camera activity while we were away.  I ran out of time, but my plan was to also prep some "mad gab" cards for guests to have fun with too.

         

        There was no way we were missing the Mariachi...so we made sure we were back at the site in time to see them...and they ended up playing us in.
         

        Originally Posted by Prometida 

        MJKH,

        I have a last question. How was the cocktail hour?. Did you order more canapes for people or it was enough food for everyone?. What happened to the people when they were waiting for you. Did you started the open bar there for them? or did you wait until you arrive?.

         

        I can't stop thanking you for all your help, but most of all for your willingness to help us!.

        Best,

        P

         



         



        #604 Prometida

        Prometida
        • Newbie
        • 46 posts

          Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

          MJKH,

          You are absolutely fantastic. There are so many details and the comunication with the resort is so dificult at times, that your input really really helps me!. The good part is that the WCs are very good in helping out during that day (it seems to me, by reading all the feedback), I'm very happy about that.

          Thank you for your prompt response.

          I am like you, I'm trying to plan and think in detail, but then that day I just want to relax and don't think about anything, just enjoy the moment! ;)

          P

           

           



          #605 MJKH

          MJKH
          • Site Supporter
          • 654 posts

            Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

            You're welcome...if you other questions, just ask...I'll try my best while it's fresh in my memory.

             

            I was just looking at the spreadsheet from the resort re: some of our other costs:

             

            792 pesos for 2 mothers' corsages

            200 pesos for my dad's bout

            200 pesos for rose petals for flower girl

            600 pesos each for our fresh floral centerpieces (we provided the glass vases)

            the kids meals at the palapa reception were free as were the first 10 surf n turf...after that we paid 800 pesos/person for surf n turf and 500 pesos per person for other entree items

             


             

            Originally Posted by Prometida 

            MJKH,

            You are absolutely fantastic. There are so many details and the comunication with the resort is so dificult at times, that your input really really helps me!. The good part is that the WCs are very good in helping out during that day (it seems to me, by reading all the feedback), I'm very happy about that.

            Thank you for your prompt response.

            I am like you, I'm trying to plan and think in detail, but then that day I just want to relax and don't think about anything, just enjoy the moment! ;)

            P

             

             



             



            #606 MinStoon

            MinStoon
            • Newbie
            • 7 posts

              Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

              I hope I did this right - I am the mother of the bride (Kayla) and we are new to this.  She is getting married over New Year's 2013 and just when we every wedding detail finalized with the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe in Punta Cana - Air Transat quotes us with $2404 tax in per person for flight/all-inclusive!!!  We almost died because it's usually between $1700 - $1900 tax incl from Saskatoon, SK Canada around that time of year.  So after some tears yesterday - we found the GSRM and are excited!  We will email the resort for date availability around Jan 2 - 4/13 and our travel agent is getting a quote asap.  Fingers crossed.  I read almost every post from page 1 - 60 and am so thankful for finding this - ur all awesome. 

               

              If anyone can comment or give us advice:  we will be approx 75-80 people, want a catholic ceremony in the chapel, cocktail hour and reception maybe at the Palapa or one of the restaurants that can accommodate large group.  Was anyone in similar boat? Should we go with AT wedding package or direct to resort in our case?  Anyone from Canada have their flight prices that I can compare to???  Anything to help us would so appreciated!!!  Hope to book this week :)

               

              Michelle/Kayla



              #607 MJKH

              MJKH
              • Site Supporter
              • 654 posts

                Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

                I spent a lot of time attempting to compare AT's wedding packages with what the resort offered and I just felt that purchasing the package from the resort was much more "transparent". I talked to the WP at the GS as well about this (after the fact) and she said often the issue is that couples are not aware that the AT package doesn't include this, this and this...for example...and the cost to get everything they want goes up quite quickly. It's very difficult I agree. You have the potential to have a very large group from the looks of things...which can definitely work in your favour when it comes to incentives from charter companies.  
                 

                Originally Posted by MinStoon 

                I hope I did this right - I am the mother of the bride (Kayla) and we are new to this.  She is getting married over New Year's 2013 and just when we every wedding detail finalized with the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe in Punta Cana - Air Transat quotes us with $2404 tax in per person for flight/all-inclusive!!!  We almost died because it's usually between $1700 - $1900 tax incl from Saskatoon, SK Canada around that time of year.  So after some tears yesterday - we found the GSRM and are excited!  We will email the resort for date availability around Jan 2 - 4/13 and our travel agent is getting a quote asap.  Fingers crossed.  I read almost every post from page 1 - 60 and am so thankful for finding this - ur all awesome. 

                 

                If anyone can comment or give us advice:  we will be approx 75-80 people, want a catholic ceremony in the chapel, cocktail hour and reception maybe at the Palapa or one of the restaurants that can accommodate large group.  Was anyone in similar boat? Should we go with AT wedding package or direct to resort in our case?  Anyone from Canada have their flight prices that I can compare to???  Anything to help us would so appreciated!!!  Hope to book this week :)

                 

                Michelle/Kayla



                 



                #608 MissAnnette

                MissAnnette
                • Newbie
                • 30 posts

                  Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

                  2012 Wedding Review 

                   

                  I was married at the Grand Sirenis February 2012. I used many reviews in planning my wedding so now I will give back to you! If anyone has any questions please message me, otherwise I will try to cover the main points. 

                   

                  Overall, the week at the resort was fabulous. We took a group of 60 people and I heard nothing but good reviews about the resort. 

                   

                  AIR TRANSAT WEDDING PACKAGE: 

                  We book an Air Transat Wedding package. The wedding packages offered at the resort looked fabulous, but  we decided they were not worth our money. Our compromise was to book an inexpensive Transat Wedding package and then pay for the extras that we needed for our group. In the end, this saved us about $4000 CAN. When booking an Air Transat package you can get everything that is offered in the hotel packages, you just have to pay for them. 

                   

                  All of the resort packages include 10 guests. Above and beyond this number it is $500 MXN- $800 MXN per plate, depending on your menu. Our JOY wedding package didn't include a meal, so we paid for everyone individually. Because our group was so large the only reception option for us was the Palapa. The palapa is $11,050 MXN to rent. Worth noting, when you rent the palapa, you get the private beach and gazebo for the ceremony. With the transat package, there is a different ceremony location. They are both nice. The one with the palapa is more private. No one else will be there. There are more rocks so the waves crash there more (it made for really nice pictures). The other beach gazebo is not directly on the main beach; its on the edge of the bay. From far off, people on the main beach can see you. It still is out of the way so I would doubt you would have anyone wandering by.

                   

                  CIVIL CEREMONY:

                  We had a civil ceremony. The judge is $5200 MXN and the apostile is $1000 MXN. We are canadian. When we got there, we had to confirm if we wanted to send our marriage certificate to the canadian consolate to get it "stamped", as the wedding coordinator put it. From there the consolate would email it to us. I had been advised to take the marriage certificate home with us when we left the resort. Check with your province laws before you leave to see if you need to send your certificate to the consolate. In our case, our province did not require this and we were glad that we knew this beforehand as our WC had encouraged us to send it to the consolate. Our JP was great, she spoke very good english. 

                   

                  We had our bloodwork drawn a few days before the wedding at the mediclinic. It is $220 USD, payable in cash at the clinic. 

                   

                  PHOTOGRAPHY:

                  We took our own photographer. He was a paying guest and we did not have to pay anything extra for being a professional photographer on the resort. He had no problem on departure from Mexico either. He had heard of some photographers being charged or taxed at the border for "working" while being in Mexico. No problem though. 

                   

                  We did not use the resort photographer. I did not make any contact with him before the wedding. The day after the wedding he tracked me down in the resort and told me he had pictures to show me. Though I didn't notice; he had been at the wedding ceremony! His pictures were really good. We picked a few because they were included in our transat package. If I had not had a photographer, I would have been satisfied with his photos. He was not in the way; I didn't even notice him there.

                   

                  RECEPTION:

                  As noted earlier, we used the palapa. It was fabulous. The reception is only 4 hours long. We booked for an additional 2 hours. This costs $60 MXN/ adult/ hour. We rented the sound system equipment at $450 MXN/ hr. We didn't get the DJ. We had a playlist on an ipod. The sound system worked well and was easy to operate. For menu, we chose steak as our main course. It was really good; all of the food was excellent at the reception. The cake tasted good but was plain looking. My MIL, used some fresh flowers and it became gorgeous! We had more than enough for 60 people; there was lots left over.

                   

                  WEDDING COORDINATOR:

                  Elizabeth was our coordinator assigned to us at the resort. She was very good. She introduced herself to us on arrival at the resort. There was a welcome letter in our room that told us when we needed to meet with her, take our witnesses for paperwork and have our bloodwork drawn. All of the WCs seem to work as a team; they were very kind, helpful and hard working.

                   

                  RESORT SAFETY

                  We felt very safe at the resort. The weeks that we were at the resort there was drama surrounding an alleged attack that had occurred on a Canadian woman. Like others, we had heard that said group's conduct at the resort was less than ideal. Regardless, as a large group of women we were careful to not be found alone at night on the resort. This practice served us well and we all had a fabulous time.

                   

                  IN THE END....

                  Our wedding was absolutely amazing. Our week at the hotel was nothing less than this either. As noted earlier, all 60 of our guests had great reviews about the resort and the wedding. I would recommend using the Air Transat wedding package to anyone. Our entire experience and wedding was truly better than I ever could have imagined.... 

                   

                  Good Luck planning and contact me if you have any questions!

                   

                   

                   



                  #609 Prometida

                  Prometida
                  • Newbie
                  • 46 posts

                    Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

                    Thank you Miss Annette. I have a question for you. Can you tell me if the open bar for the rehersal and wedding dinner includes wine (red or white) and how it is?. Thank you

                    #610 MJKH

                    MJKH
                    • Site Supporter
                    • 654 posts

                      Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

                      Awww, it was great to read this Miss Annette...now Mrs. Annette!!! : )

                       

                      We looked for you while we were there, but half the time I didn't recognize my own family wearing hats, sunglasses, etc.  Glad to hear all went well!

                       

                      J~

                      Originally Posted by MissAnnette 

                      2012 Wedding Review 

                       

                      I was married at the Grand Sirenis February 2012. I used many reviews in planning my wedding so now I will give back to you! If anyone has any questions please message me, otherwise I will try to cover the main points. 

                       

                      Overall, the week at the resort was fabulous. We took a group of 60 people and I heard nothing but good reviews about the resort. 

                       

                      AIR TRANSAT WEDDING PACKAGE: 

                      We book an Air Transat Wedding package. The wedding packages offered at the resort looked fabulous, but  we decided they were not worth our money. Our compromise was to book an inexpensive Transat Wedding package and then pay for the extras that we needed for our group. In the end, this saved us about $4000 CAN. When booking an Air Transat package you can get everything that is offered in the hotel packages, you just have to pay for them. 

                       

                      All of the resort packages include 10 guests. Above and beyond this number it is $500 MXN- $800 MXN per plate, depending on your menu. Our JOY wedding package didn't include a meal, so we paid for everyone individually. Because our group was so large the only reception option for us was the Palapa. The palapa is $11,050 MXN to rent. Worth noting, when you rent the palapa, you get the private beach and gazebo for the ceremony. With the transat package, there is a different ceremony location. They are both nice. The one with the palapa is more private. No one else will be there. There are more rocks so the waves crash there more (it made for really nice pictures). The other beach gazebo is not directly on the main beach; its on the edge of the bay. From far off, people on the main beach can see you. It still is out of the way so I would doubt you would have anyone wandering by.

                       

                      CIVIL CEREMONY:

                      We had a civil ceremony. The judge is $5200 MXN and the apostile is $1000 MXN. We are canadian. When we got there, we had to confirm if we wanted to send our marriage certificate to the canadian consolate to get it "stamped", as the wedding coordinator put it. From there the consolate would email it to us. I had been advised to take the marriage certificate home with us when we left the resort. Check with your province laws before you leave to see if you need to send your certificate to the consolate. In our case, our province did not require this and we were glad that we knew this beforehand as our WC had encouraged us to send it to the consolate. Our JP was great, she spoke very good english. 

                       

                      We had our bloodwork drawn a few days before the wedding at the mediclinic. It is $220 USD, payable in cash at the clinic. 

                       

                      PHOTOGRAPHY:

                      We took our own photographer. He was a paying guest and we did not have to pay anything extra for being a professional photographer on the resort. He had no problem on departure from Mexico either. He had heard of some photographers being charged or taxed at the border for "working" while being in Mexico. No problem though. 

                       

                      We did not use the resort photographer. I did not make any contact with him before the wedding. The day after the wedding he tracked me down in the resort and told me he had pictures to show me. Though I didn't notice; he had been at the wedding ceremony! His pictures were really good. We picked a few because they were included in our transat package. If I had not had a photographer, I would have been satisfied with his photos. He was not in the way; I didn't even notice him there.

                       

                      RECEPTION:

                      As noted earlier, we used the palapa. It was fabulous. The reception is only 4 hours long. We booked for an additional 2 hours. This costs $60 MXN/ adult/ hour. We rented the sound system equipment at $450 MXN/ hr. We didn't get the DJ. We had a playlist on an ipod. The sound system worked well and was easy to operate. For menu, we chose steak as our main course. It was really good; all of the food was excellent at the reception. The cake tasted good but was plain looking. My MIL, used some fresh flowers and it became gorgeous! We had more than enough for 60 people; there was lots left over.

                       

                      WEDDING COORDINATOR:

                      Elizabeth was our coordinator assigned to us at the resort. She was very good. She introduced herself to us on arrival at the resort. There was a welcome letter in our room that told us when we needed to meet with her, take our witnesses for paperwork and have our bloodwork drawn. All of the WCs seem to work as a team; they were very kind, helpful and hard working.

                       

                      RESORT SAFETY

                      We felt very safe at the resort. The weeks that we were at the resort there was drama surrounding an alleged attack that had occurred on a Canadian woman. Like others, we had heard that said group's conduct at the resort was less than ideal. Regardless, as a large group of women we were careful to not be found alone at night on the resort. This practice served us well and we all had a fabulous time.

                       

                      IN THE END....

                      Our wedding was absolutely amazing. Our week at the hotel was nothing less than this either. As noted earlier, all 60 of our guests had great reviews about the resort and the wedding. I would recommend using the Air Transat wedding package to anyone. Our entire experience and wedding was truly better than I ever could have imagined.... 

                       

                      Good Luck planning and contact me if you have any questions!

                       

                       

                       



                       






                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users