Jump to content


wedding certificate error

  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dodds

  • Newbie
  • 44 posts

    Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:39 PM

    I just received my wedding certificate from Jamaica. The groom's name has a spelling error (and father of groom too). And they wrote witness signature to be illegible.
    Anybody else have this problem? or know how to resolve it?
    Am I married if the name is incorrect??
    I'm in a state of shock right now. Thanks for your help.

    #2 jennie

    • Jr. Member
    • 200 posts

      Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:32 AM

      OH I'm so sorry you're going through this right now. I would say YES, you are married because they have a copy of all of your documents with your socical security numbers, names, etc.... What I would most definitely do is to call your wedding coordinator immediatley to express the errors and mispellings, so they can ammend the certificate with the nessary corrections and reissue it to you.
      Good luck with everything.

      #3 dodds

      • Newbie
      • 44 posts

        Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:41 PM

        Thanks for the well wishes. I've emailed my co-ordinator and the office that would have issued the document. I haven't heard anything yet. But, I'm going to remain optimistic that this will be resolved.

        This just re-inforces that when the minister says sign legibly, he really means it.

        #4 dodds

        • Newbie
        • 44 posts

          Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:42 PM

          Is anybody going to Iberostar Rose Hall Beach and talking to Sandy in the near future? Maybe you can ask on my behalf? I'd really appreciate it.

          #5 A2Bride

          • Member
          • 676 posts

            Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

            I would also say you are married since the orginal documents are correct, it is just a matter of contacting the right people. Sounds like you have a plan...I wish you good luck and hopefully a quick resolution!

            #6 foxytv

            • VIP Member
            • 7,740 posts

              Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:06 PM

              They will be able to send you a corrected certificate and then you can disregard the incorrect one. In the meantime, see if they can fax/email you something stating there is a mis-spelling or something to that effect so that if you need to move forward with your name changes, etc ... you will have something on hand if necessary. How bad is the mis-spelling?

              #7 dodds

              • Newbie
              • 44 posts

                Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:02 PM

                The misspelled name is just one letter in the last name of groom and father of groom.
                The witness' name is omitted -it says "signature illegible."

                I also think it should be an easy fix, but it seems like contacting the right person is hard. My WC hasn't replied yet (which I expect, she's very busy), but I thought I would have a response from the Registrar Department since their website says they respond to all emails within two business days.

                Foxytv, asking for a fax/email to show it's being processed is a great idea. I couldn't imagine waiting another 6months to change my name. (I was married in January, and got the marriage certificate in June.)

                OK guys, wish me luck that I get a hold of the right person to do this. Otherwise I have to book another trip to Jamaica?

                #8 Sloan

                • Sr. Member
                • 1,279 posts

                  Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

                  Sorry you have to go through all this! I'd have killed my witnesses if they buggered up my wedding cert.

                  On the other hand -- is another trip to JA such a bad idea? LOL

                  0 user(s) are reading this topic

                  0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users