Anyone heard of/using SKY LANTERNS?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 bcbride

• 176 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:05 PM

Hi everyone!
    I came across a video for these sky lanterns/floating lanterns and now I really want to use them for our wedding!
    YouTube - Sky Lantern sending wishes to the sky
    I did have some concerns, ie. safety, didn't want to add to the world's garbage , and if they would even work cuz our wedding is in December and I heard it's pretty windy in Mayan Riviera that time of year...
    I did find this from a site that sells them:
    100% Biodegradable 100% Flame Resistant

Great for any occasion, big or small, a time to celebrate

Sometimes referred to as "Wishing Lanterns or " Fire Balloons". People have even mistaken these glowing objects in the sky as UFOs.

If you haven't enjoyed the moment of releasing a Sky Lantern, you are missing out

They are constructed from oiled rice paper on either a wire or bamboo frame, and contain a small candle or fuel cell made of a waxy flammable material. When lit, the flame heats the air inside the lantern, causing the lantern to rise into the air (just like a hot air balloon). The Sky Lantern will rise only as long as the flame stays alight, after which the lantern floats gently back to earth
    I was also thinking lighting one lantern after we say our vows, like we are sending our vows/prayers to the sky.
    I just love the idea of these, anyone else thought of using these/seen them in real life?

#2 bcbride

• 176 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:22 PM

im going to try and post some pics.... let's see if this works...

Click the image to open in full size.

#3 ~Jessica~

• Banned
      • 3,479 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:31 AM

I read about these in one of my bridal magazines and I really want to use them too. I think as long as they are biodegradable (the ones I saw were too) they are fine and you should totally use them.

#4 GregsBride

• 333 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

I think these are so beautiful!!! Where do you buy these?? And do you know if they come in smaller sizes, because I think it would be a great idea to have every guest do their own and send it off into the sky!!

#5 lp579

• 70 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:37 PM

We lit some of these while we were in Thailand last fall, and it looks really pretty! We were trying to order some through a friend over there however that's fallen through...let me know where you found the biodegradable ones on-line, I'd be keen to try and get some as well!

#6 GregsBride

• 333 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:01 PM

These are a few sites that I found today...

Chinese Sky Lanterns
              Light a Lantern Online Shop
              skylanterns.co.uk - Home
              Sky Lanterns Sky Lanterns White, from Party Delights

#7 rdhbride

• 313 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:09 PM

very cute , awesome touch but they are pretty big do they make smaller ones?

#8 Shann767

• 13 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:06 PM

I also saw these on the u-tube vidoe as well. I loved the idea so much I ordered the small pack to try here at home on the beach to see how they really work. I will take a few pictures and let you know how they turn out! :-)

#9 tomcarmichael

• 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:46 AM

There is an American site that has just launched, I think they are the first to sell them in the states, and they are calling them wedding lanterns

- They look to have some nice personalised wedding packages if you follow their link through on the "purchase wedding lanterns section"

Hope this helps

#10 bcbride

• 176 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:57 PM

thanks for all the help! everytime i google it though, there's always news articles that come up talking about how dangerous they are i guess i will have to check with the resort's WC to see if we can use them... also, not entirely sure what you light inside the lantern? is it a 'fuel cell'? are these allowed on planes/checked luggage?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users