• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 brownsugarbride

brownsugarbride
  • 599 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrsHK 

I would email Zaida and see what she says about buttercream holding up down here. Even if you don't end up ordering from her, she'll be able to advise you one way or another. I know when we leave our butter out around the house down here it usually melts a little bit, so fondant may be a safer bet. Aside from the little bite with our cake cutting photo, I didn't even taste our cake our cupcakes! The night went by so fast and I totally forgot to grab one. With the excitement of the dinner, speeches, first dance, and entertaining everyone, you may not even have a moment to sit down and enjoy your cake.

I love the idea of surprise churros! We has nachos and empanadas as our midnight snack surprise. :)

Yes, I am worried about the cake melting but we are big foodies and I like things to taste good! I will take your advice and send her an email.  I am so geeked about the churros!

#32 AllieH

AllieH
    • Resort/Area Ambassadors
    • 2,014 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 5, 2012
    • Wedding Location:El Dorado Royale, Riviera Maya MX
    • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

hey lady!! how about cream cheese icing? we were told the butter cream wouldn't hold up with the heat & humidity (and I've seen that here in TX too), and I too despise the taste of fondant.

our resort was able to do cream cheese icing on the cupcakes, and they held up beautifully, even on a warm & humid night. might be an option to ask about! certainly more tasty than fondant...

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brownsugarbride 

I'm kind of torn about my wedding cake. I'm not looking for an incredibly fancy or complex cake, just one that is reasonably pretty and tastes good. Plus, I'm getting churros as a surprise for my guests so I don't want to go to overboard on the cake. However, I'm worried about my cake standing up to the heat in Playa Del Carmen, even in April. I really don't like the taste of fondant, but I'm worried that my cake will melt in the heat. I much prefer butter cream frosting. Is there anyway to make this work, or should I just suck it up and get fondant?

I would email Zaida and see what she says about buttercream holding up down here. Even if you don't end up ordering from her, she'll be able to advise you one way or another. I know when we leave our butter out around the house down here it usually melts a little bit, so fondant may be a safer bet. Aside from the little bite with our cake cutting photo, I didn't even taste our cake our cupcakes! The night went by so fast and I totally forgot to grab one. With the excitement of the dinner, speeches, first dance, and entertaining everyone, you may not even have a moment to sit down and enjoy your cake.

I love the idea of surprise churros! We has nachos and empanadas as our midnight snack surprise. :)

Official El Dorado Royale/El Dorado Casitas Royale Thread <---check here for all info about EDR/EDCR

Wright Travel Agency <--for all your Destination Wedding needs! Contact the experts and reduce your stress. 

El Dorado Royale Brides Thread <---come chat with other EDR brides

AllieH's EDR 11-5-2012 Planning Thread <--because it was so awesome

#33 MrsHK

MrsHK
    • Vendor
    • 317 posts
    • Wedding Date:May 22, 2013
    • Wedding Location:CabaƱas Tulum & The Beach Hotel | Tulum, Mexico
    • LocationFrom Vancouver, BC | Living in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

Quote:

Yes, I am worried about the cake melting but we are big foodies and I like things to taste good! I will take your advice and send her an email.  I am so geeked about the churros!

Hope it works out for you, and let us know what you end up deciding! I love the idea that Allie had of cream cheese frosting. Oh man, now I'm craving velvet cake with cream cheese frosting! haha

Also, I'm not sure where you are at with your decor plans, but if you want to see a list of the things I'm renting out from my wedding with pricing and photos please send me an inbox message. I have lots of lighting, mason jars, lanterns, etc. Happy planning! :cheers:

Are you interested in an affordable decor rental in the Mayan Riviera, Mexico? Send me a message! Most of the items I have are a rustic, vintage style.

And the Next Day, We Were Married: http://www.luckygirl...mikee-e-session
    Our Tulum Wedding - Parte Uno: http://www.luckygirl...iesta-parte-uno
    Our Tulum Wedding - Parte Dos: http://www.luckygirl...iesta-parte-dos

Tulum Wedding Video: http://loveandrum.co...o-katy-mikee-hk
    Anniversary! One Year Later: http://www.luckygirl...lladolid-mexico

#34 brownsugarbride

brownsugarbride
    • 599 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by AllieH 

Mmm...cream cheese!  I want tres leches cake though..I wonder if that would be completely over the top?

#35 brownsugarbride

brownsugarbride
      • 599 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Quote:

Hope it works out for you, and let us know what you end up deciding! I love the idea that Allie had of cream cheese frosting. Oh man, now I'm craving velvet cake with cream cheese frosting! haha

Also, I'm not sure where you are at with your decor plans, but if you want to see a list of the things I'm renting out from my wedding with pricing and photos please send me an inbox message. I have lots of lighting, mason jars, lanterns, etc. Happy planning! :cheers:

I will definitely send you a PM once I figure out my decor.  I've been really careful about buying anything on my end, because I don't want to waste money on things that won't fit into my decor. Renting honestly sounds like a better option.  If you have any suggestions for my venue, I'd love to hear them!

http://www.bluevenadobeachclub.com/english/weddings.html

#36 AllieH

AllieH
        • Resort/Area Ambassadors
        • 2,014 posts
        • Wedding Date:November 5, 2012
        • Wedding Location:El Dorado Royale, Riviera Maya MX
        • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

mmm red velvet are my favorite cupcakes!!!

yeah, I'm not sure how that'd work with tres leches cake. might be a little too rich (is that possible)? worst case...you can peel off the fondant. or... does tres leches really need icing? I'm thinking of the ones I've had that are more rustic - so soaked with milk that there's no icing at all. idunno, I guess it'll depend on who does the cake and how they make it.

I have to say..the cake was one of my issues too - I just love cake!!! we settled for the cupcakes at the wedding, and they were yummy. I'm totally thinking about getting a small 1 tier cake made for our anniversary here locally, since we don't have the traditional top tier from our wedding day (though I also hear it's horrible after sitting in the freezer for a year).

Quote:

Quote:

Also, I'm not sure where you are at with your decor plans, but if you want to see a list of the things I'm renting out from my wedding with pricing and photos please send me an inbox message. I have lots of lighting, mason jars, lanterns, etc. Happy planning! 

Quote:
        Originally Posted by AllieH 

Mmm...cream cheese!  I want tres leches cake though..I wonder if that would be completely over the top?

Official El Dorado Royale/El Dorado Casitas Royale Thread <---check here for all info about EDR/EDCR

Wright Travel Agency <--for all your Destination Wedding needs! Contact the experts and reduce your stress. 

El Dorado Royale Brides Thread <---come chat with other EDR brides

AllieH's EDR 11-5-2012 Planning Thread <--because it was so awesome

#37 tessj1988

tessj1988
        • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

What vendor did you use for cotton candy? I'm getting married in Tulum and LOVE that idea!

Quote:

Hey ladies! I also used Zaida of Dolcet for the desserts at our wedding a month ago. I'll admit it sometimes took her a little while to get back to me, but that seems to be the norm down here in the Riviera Maya. She was always very friendly, helpful and delivered exactly what I asked her to do. I was very specific about what I wanted and I was blown away by the cupcakes she made for us!

We asked for a small cake for our cutting ceremony (it fed 10 people and was $40 USD) and 60 fondant cupcakes ($5 USD each) for our guests. Our wedding was in Tulum and the delivery from Cancun was $120 USD. People were raving about the cupcakes all night! I unfortunately didn't get a chance to eat anything more than the cake my (now) husband smooshed into my face, but that piece was great!  She included the cupcake tower for free.

I provided the cupcake wrappers, the ship in a bottle cake topper and the teal letters, so those are not included with her services. The cotton candy was from a different vendor as well.

#38 solymare21

solymare21
          • 13 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

im gonna contact Zaida i want a very fancy cake for my wedding in 2 weeks omg count down!!!!!!!!

#39 Moments That Matter

Moments That Matter

Diamond Vendor

• Insiders
            • 3,074 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

Cakes with the fondant icing seem to hold up well too......as seen here. mmm all this cake talk awakes some cravings all right.....mmm

1477879_10151997432949487_2136873828_n.j

Hope you find the Perfect cake for your Big Day....Enjoy!!!   team MTM :)

MTM%20Logo%202016_zps4tzm05my.png

Moments That Matter Photography , Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Canadian Award Winning Photojournalist serving the Riviera Maya

Email: contact@momentsthatmatterphotography.com

Why we're Ranked #1 ~ Scoop on what we do:  MTM Reviews

Meet Lincoln & Team MTM: "Meet Lincoln" Video + see his Passion!!!

We Offer: 100% Vendor Fee Discount
                                  100% Deposit Guarantee

100% Satisfaction Guarantee

#40 rvalenka

rvalenka
              • 353 posts
              • Wedding Date:October 19, 2014
              • Wedding Location:Secrets Maroma Beach
              • LocationLexington, Kentucky, United States

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

This thread is making me hungry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic