Photo

awful bridesmaid dress

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Nonnie

Nonnie
  • 172 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

So I am a bridesmaid for my brother's wedding in August (4 months before my DW, I got engaged first though). My mom is making the bridesmaid dresses (to save $$) and the bride picked out the pattern and colour and fabric sash she is adding. My dress was finished first, I tried it on yesterday and OMG!!

I look super pregnant. It is probably the most unflattering thing I could wear, the colour is nice, but the bust flattens out my chest and the folds of fabric down the stomach poof out at the Empress waistline making it look like a maternity gown. At the back it flows awkwardly over my large caboose making it look even bigger. To make matters worst the bride wants us to wear flip flops, which make me walk very awkwardly.

The 3 bridesmaids are very different figures, I am short and curvy (not fat, I have a Marilyn Monroe figure), one is tall and stick thin and the other is a pretty big girl. I don't think this dress will be flattering on any of us. I don't want to think that my future SIL is wanting her bridesmaids to look horrible, but I can't help but wonder... I would say something, but my mom put a lot of time into these.

The worst part is I was saying (before I tried the dress on) that I would take to to Dominican Republic and wear it the week of my wedding and then the Honeymoon, but now I know I will never wear it again after her wedding. Both her and my mom will be there for my wedding, so they will know that I don't wear it, thus don't like it.

I guess the plus side is I don't need to work my winter flab off before August, no one will be able to tell the difference

#2 tdmitchell

tdmitchell
    • 719 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

Sorry you don't like the dress, hopefully it will grow on you! Can you post a picture so we can give our opinion?

#3 jax_the_beach_bride

jax_the_beach_bride
      • 475 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:21 PM

Maybe u are being ur worst critic... It might be nice.. Maybe u could post up a pic??

Mr. & Mrs. Reid
        All my life, I prayed for someone like you... and I thank God that I finally found you!

http://tickers.Ticke....7116/event.png

#4 jk1101

jk1101
        • 2,582 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

You could always "accidentally" forget to pack the dress if you really hate it...but Jax s right - it might not be as bad as you're saying. We are always our own worst critic.

#5 Cassondra2009

Cassondra2009
          • 444 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:31 PM

It really sucks that you hate the dress. Is it possible for you to ask your mom to make a few alterations? I'm not sure how she would feel about that but maybe she could take in some of the extra fabric for you. You should post a picture, maybe its not as bad as u think!

#6 YoursTruly

YoursTruly
            • 1,097 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

Question for you--did you see the "dress" that your mom was going to re-create before agreeing to be in the party and all?

#7 boscobel

boscobel
              • VIP Member
              • 24,213 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:14 PM

Well, I think that the dresses are rarely picked out before the bridal party is established...

But I am wondering if you have any updates for us? Photos of this dress, pattern or material? I am just hoping that it isn't so bad and perhaps just not your style. Fingers crossed anyway!

#8 ~*Kathy*~

~*Kathy*~
                • 5,649 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

I would be really interested in seeing a pic of this dress too. It's true, we really are our own worst critics!

#9 BachataBride

BachataBride
                  • Banned
                  • 9,310 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Nonnie
                    The worst part is I was saying (before I tried the dress on) that I would take to to Dominican Republic and wear it the week of my wedding and then the Honeymoon, but now I know I will never wear it again after her wedding. Both her and my mom will be there for my wedding, so they will know that I don't wear it, thus don't like it.
                    Just "accidentally" spill something on it after the wedding!!! Whoopsy...it's stained!!! LOL

And the girls are right...maybe it is not THAT bad. We want to see!!!!

#10 Nonnie

Nonnie
                    • 172 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:20 PM

I tried it on again today to take pictures, I'm feeling a little better about it, but still not excited.

please let me know what you think.

Click the image to open in full size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users