ughh...engagement party stress..what do i do??

what a bummer! i'm sure it was very difficult asking them to call off the party, but good for your for sticking up for yourself!! you have every right to enjoy all of your wedding related events, & you certainly shouldn't have to lose sleep over them. i'm proud of you :)

Well firstly, engagements and wedding are for those that truly wish you well and happiness, so first and formost You and FI wishes should be the first consideration. Your aunt and uncle should respect the fact that you do not get along and do not want the stress. If they were so concerned, they should have tried to address this prior to an event that is public where things could be disastrous given the amount if people. I would pass on the party if they feel so strongly about it.

I think it is a good idea to call it off. I am in the same situation with my mother, and thankfully the family members I do have are keeping her out of it.

This is your party, to celebrate a happy time in your FI and your life. There should be no drama,anxiety, or stress added to it.

*hugs*

sorry I just needed another vent about this sad.gif in the end of this all my cousin and I are no longer talking... she and I grew up together and she was supposed to be my maid of honour and so it hurts that we arent talking now, but im trying so hard to look for a silver lining....but in the process she has my family convinced that I am some terrible person who is totally wrong in saying I dont want someone at my engagement party! and she has them all wrapped around her finger, so now they refuse to talk to me, YUP ALL of them wont talk to me.....It is getting hard to look for the silver lining when my family isnt even there for me at all sad.gif I dont know what to do... I spent all yesterday crying when my cousin started tearing me apart and also when I found out she has my whole family turned on me sad.gif

Well, my family drama isn't quite this drastic, but there have certainly been moments through the years. What I can tell you is that no one else in your family can tell you how you should feel about your father or force you to interact with him if it's uncomfortable for you. Especially when it's an event entirely about you and your FI! While it might seem like it now, you've made the right decision because it's the best one for you.

Oh, and here's the silver lining ... without all the family drama and pressure, you have the opportunity to begin your life with your fiance however you choose with no stress. Make it a day for and about the two of you and no one else. You have someone who you can build your own family with and who will love and support you the way you deserve.

I'm so sorry your relatives are being spiteful right now, but most likely they will come around. Keep your chin up and go get a big hug from your FI - it'll help, I promise!