Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Debs

Are you religious?

Recommended Posts

Feel free to add your comments if you want, otherwise, it's an anonymous poll. :)

 

I mean this to be non-denominational, though I know not everyone practices in a "church"

 

For myself, I was not raised around religion (my parents) though I did go to church with my grandmother on Christmas Eve every year. I just never "got it" I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Religion is always a touchy subject so please everyone remember to be respectful even if you don't understand, relate or like what someone posts.

 

Thanks!!

 

as for me - i put "more spiritual than religious" b/c I do not believe you have to belong to a organized group to be considered "religious"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i consider myself completely agnostic. my parents sent me to hebrew school, but i quit after a few years...i guess they realized that they couldn't make me believe in something i didn't believe in. we still do the jewish holidays with family, but i was also brought up celebrating christmas - hey, if everyone else is hanging with their families, why shouldn't we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I chose "more spiritual then religious". I was raised catholic (12 years of catholic school, then also a catholic college for 2 years), and I really do believe in most of it. I have a problem with the rules of the church though. I don't believe in judging people for their sexual orientation, religious choices, etc. I also don't believe that I have to go to "church" to feel at peace, or confessiong me sins to a priest. I think you can interact with your God (whichever religion you are) in however you see fit, as long as you life your life the right way. Basically, as long as you are a good person.

 

I believe more in the ideas behind the religion, and I don't take anything literally. Most of the stories are told to make a point, and the point is the lesson, not necessarily the story. At least that's what I believe. However, I have some friends that are very gung-ho with their religions and take each story as a literal historical fact and I completely respect that.

 

NOTE: As Alyssa said, this topic can be touchy, so please play nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
as for me - i put "more spiritual than religious" b/c I do not believe you have to belong to a organized group to be considered "religious"
that pretty much sums it up for me too. i don't really believe in, or participate in (whatever) organized religion. personally, i don't get anything out of going to a building labeled "church" once a week. i know some people do, and that's great! but i do live my life as a good person and i treat others as i'd want to be treated. i have a lot of very strong beliefs, but don't feel the need to label them, i guess.

i could go on and on, but Gwen is waking from her nap ... lol

I'll be back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
Most of the stories are told to make a point, and the point is the lesson, not necessarily the story.
I believe this as well.

Religion has always intrigued me, but not to the point that I wanted to participate. I have far too a scientific mind for I me thinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
I chose "more spiritual then religious". I was raised catholic (12 years of catholic school, then also a catholic college for 2 years), and I really do believe in most of it. I have a problem with the rules of the church though. I don't believe in judging people for their sexual orientation, religious choices, etc. I also don't believe that I have to go to "church" to feel at peace, or confessiong me sins to a priest. I think you can interact with your God (whichever religion you are) in however you see fit, as long as you life your life the right way. Basically, as long as you are a good person.

I believe more in the ideas behind the religion, and I don't take anything literally. Most of the stories are told to make a point, and the point is the lesson, not necessarily the story. At least that's what I believe. However, I have some friends that are very gung-ho with their religions and take each story as a literal historical fact and I completely respect that.

NOTE: As Alyssa said, this topic can be touchy, so please play nice.
Wow Carly, thanks for posting that since I was about to post the exact same thing about myself! I was raised Roman Catholic, baptized, confirmed and all of that but I do not attend mass regularly (only on occasion when I'm visiting my mom because I know it makes her happy). I did go to Catholic school from kindergarten through to the 9th grade and then switched to the public school system for grades 10 - 12. I have my own beliefs and I do disagree (as Carly stated) with many things that the church preaches such as not using birth control and not "condoning" people's sexual orientations (whatever they may be). I do sometimes find it a little close-minded for my tastes but I still believe in a higher power whatever that may be. I believe more in the "church of good karma" as in if you do good then good will come to you and if you do bad then bad things will happen. I feel if you live your life following basic principles such as respect, honesty, etc then that is just fine.

About actually going to church, it's not so much that I mind the sermons or anything but I feel like it loses a lot of meaning for me going to the Roman Catholic church where all we do is sit, stand and repeat after the priest. It feels a little robotic to me...like we're saying these words but does anyone actually stop to think about what they mean? Anyway, I picked the option of "more spiritual than religious". :)

Off topic but w00t I totally just dinged "senior member" yay me! smile29.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraisobeachbride2009 View Post
About actually going to church, it's not so much that I mind the sermons or anything but I feel like it loses a lot of meaning for me going to the Roman Catholic church where all we do is sit, stand and repeat after the priest. It feels a little robotic to me...like we're saying these words but does anyone actually stop to think about what they mean? Anyway, I picked the option of "more spiritual than religious". :)
I agree with this as well. At my grandmother's funeral mass I felt confused about taking communion because although I was baptised and confirmed, I have never been to church regularly at all, only with her (and the only one in my family to take her) so I did for her sake, but felt a bit like a fraud. sad.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • we ended up using Facebook messenger when we were in Mexico - the hotel had free wifi and at least 1 person from each family/couple had FB on their phone already - it was pretty easy to communicate among guests "hey, we're heading to the beach bbq for lunch." or "everyone is hanging at the small pool today".  a plus was that some people tried to get a hold of me via FB on the day of the wedding and I was totally not checking my phone - they were asking if the wedding was outside given the rain forecast, thankful my mom, MOH and a few other friends were on the group and could respond for me :) 
    • Are you looking for a guide where you’ll find many tips and steps to follow to make your wedding a success? We design a special for you, where you will find: Photography Tips To-Do List Check list How to choose the best dress? Memories and invitations And much more! Download it now for free from: http://emweddings.com/WeddingGuide/index.html     Don’t stress. Enjoy every moment, tomorrow will be your best memories. See you soon!
    • Another option is to find an app that allows for group talk. This Wedding Party App looks pretty neat. https://apracticalwedding.com/wedding-party-app/ 
    • Hi Everyone, So, I was cleaning out my closet and realized that I never sold off my extra wedding OOT bag stuff from our wonderful DW.   46 Daily Spanish for Dummies 30 Pool colored OOT fabric bags - approximately 13in x 13in. They lay flat.  I used them for our wedding and they were perfect for everything we needed to fit in each bag. There’s a slight shade variation in the group; I’m guessing some were cut from a different bolt of fabric.  They are also a little wrinkled from storage and will probably be wrinkled from shipping. I have three additional ones, but they somehow got something on them (likely toddler related). If needed, I can try to wash it out and send those as well. 
    • I’m getting married in six months to my foreign girlfriend. I was advised by a friend that one of the things I need to do before saying I do is to get a prenuptial agreement. Basically it’s supposed to protect my assets and properties in case my relationship with my future wife goes down the drain. I don’t know though if this is an acceptable practice when marrying Kiev ladies. I don’t want to do it if it would be insulting on her end. I need advice on this. Please help me.
  • Topics

×