Reading each others vows???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dreamgirl08

Dreamgirl08
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:12 PM

I have a question...

Are you or did you read each other's vows before you left to get married?
    I have mine written, and he's working on his now. I have been hiding it from him for the longest, but should I be...??

#2 JUSTUSTWO

JUSTUSTWO

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 12,193 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

We picked our vows out together before hand so I'm not sure what I would've done if we had each written them separately. With me being so nosy, as he would certainly say, I'm sure I would've made him share his with me before.

Think of it this way, do you think that if you hear what each other has written now that it will take away from the "moment" of hearing it for the first time on your actual day? If you don't think so, then go for it & share what you have so far.
      But on the other hand, if you think you want to hear them for the 1st time on your wedding day, then don't share them.
      I'm not sure I helped you but thats how I would decide

#3 August2010Bride

August2010Bride
      • 369 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:29 PM

we haven't written ours yet, but I think we will keep them hidden from each other. I think it will be more "special" and sentimental that way.

#4 ~Stephanie~

~Stephanie~
        • 3,347 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by JUSTUSTWO
          We picked our vows out together before hand so I'm not sure what I would've done if we had each written them separately. With me being so nosy, as he would certainly say, I'm sure I would've made him share his with me before.

Think of it this way, do you think that if you hear what each other has written now that it will take away from the "moment" of hearing it for the first time on your actual day? If you don't think so, then go for it & share what you have so far.
          But on the other hand, if you think you want to hear them for the 1st time on your wedding day, then don't share them.
          I'm not sure I helped you but thats how I would decide
          Couldn't have said it better! I know we are writting our own vows and as much as I would like to keep them secret for the big day to make it more special I am such a nosy control freak and I will probably want to edit his vows! lol. Ok, maybe not go that far, but I'm sure I would still give some "guidance" if I thought they needed work. It is really a matter of how comfortable you are with not knowing and being surprised. Also, a lot of guys need help in this area, if yours is one of them you may want to "assist" in making some suggestions. If he is really good at this kinda of stuff then I say wait!
          ~Stephanie

Our wedding websitewww.mywedding.com/stephanieandmichaelbailey

#5 FutureMrsLewis

FutureMrsLewis
          • 583 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

I want to keep ours a secret for the big day, but I'm SUPER worried about his grammar (among other things lol) so I'm going to get FMIL to go over them and make sure they're okay before he's allowed to read them out lol Then I know they're suitable, AND they're a surprise!

#6 Jen_S

Jen_S
            • 3,737 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

We kept ours a secret until the ceremony. It was very touching to hear what he had to say and same for him. After what we said to each other we did the traditional vows which was nice that we picked out together.
              Our Honeymoon In Ireland!!

#7 sofylina

sofylina
              • 113 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

I think that if you want to keep them secret, you should give each other an approximate word count, that way one doesn't go way over the other.
                50 guests joined us for our cruise wedding in Grand Cayman! Simply perfect!

#8 nibsmom

nibsmom
                • 564 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:04 PM

LOL...I would probably want to hear them beforehand...

A - because I get so flustered about romantic stuff I'd probably crack a joke or something to take the attention off of me...

and B - because I'd probably be so nervous that I might not even really remember them!!

When I get really nervous or emotional I tend to forget things like that...I've done entire presentations and then walked out afterwards barely remembering what I had talked about. Bad, I know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users