Photo

Traditional wedding cake Vs. Cupcakes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cabobride09

Cabobride09
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:22 PM

Does anyone have any input on the price of a traditional wedding cake Vs. a non traditional cupcake cake. I emailed this inspiration photo to my WC and she quoted me a price of $370.00 for 35 people. Does this seem reasonable? I am taking into consideration that I do want 1 tier for the traditional cutting ceremony, but the total comes out to more than $10 per cupcake.
    I recieved the menu pricing on the cake from the food & bev director and the price fro a 3 tier cake that feeds 40-50 people comes out to $335.00
    What do you think??

Click the image to open in full size.
    Thanks,
    Sandra
    http://www.weddingco.../91880ij6yi.png
    Casa Dorada, Cabo San Lucas

#2 Jennifer_Katherine

Jennifer_Katherine
    • 27 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:07 PM

I LOVE the idea of a cupcake wedding cake. It's what my fiance and I have decided on. Traditional wedding cake rarely tastes good because of all the fondant that caked on. I think the cupcakes look cute and are much tastier! We're also doing a candy buffet.

My wedding coordinator has quoted me $150 for cupcakes to feed up to 50 guests, and that includes a cake on the top layer to do the traditional cutting.

#3 Erika J

Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 8,569 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

I dont have too much info on the cake vs. cupcake but i just wanted to let you know that i love the inspiration pic!

#4 Cabobride09

Cabobride09
        • 85 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Jennifer_Katherine
          I LOVE the idea of a cupcake wedding cake. It's what my fiance and I have decided on. Traditional wedding cake rarely tastes good because of all the fondant that caked on. I think the cupcakes look cute and are much tastier! We're also doing a candy buffet.

My wedding coordinator has quoted me $150 for cupcakes to feed up to 50 guests, and that includes a cake on the top layer to do the traditional cutting.
          Thank-you for your input. I think the price your WC quoted seems alot more reasonable. Just curious, Is your WC quoting an outside vendor or are you getting married at a specific hotel that will be doing your cake.
          Thanks,
          Sandra

#5 Ana

Ana

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 8,047 posts
          • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
          • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
          • LocationToronto

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

I love cupcakes!! ours comes to about the same price I think but cupcakes are just so cute!!

#6 *Heather*

*Heather*

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 9,532 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:38 PM

We are doing cupcakes as well - our price is about $4.50 per cupcake I believe.

#7 Soon To Be Mrs. Gomez

Soon To Be Mrs. Gomez
            • 1,326 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

I love cupcakes too. That is the latest craze. I'm having cupcakes at my bridal shower so I'm opting for a traditional cake for the wedding. I think all cakes and cupcakes are pricey because of the details put into them so the quotes you got are about right.

#8 Cabobride09

Cabobride09
              • 85 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

Ladies,
                Thank-you for all your input so far. I really appreciate all your suggestions & advice.
                Thanks,
                Sandra

#9 Pazoop

Pazoop
                • 223 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:36 PM

I just did cupcakes for my wedding last month -- my husband and I have long been known for our love of cupcakes so it seemed very fitting! Plus we both had also never tasted a wedding cake we liked. Well, we both loved the cupcakes and so did our guests! Some people had 3 or 4 cupcakes! There were so yummy!

I sent my wedding coordinator a picture essentially identical to yours (we also had one giant cupcake on top so that we could do a tradition cutting of the "cupcake"). We only paid what worked out to $6 per cupcake though -- quite a bit less and for what looks like the exact same thing. We had 75 cupcakes in three different flavors (chocolate cake-vanilla icing, vanilla cake-chocolate icing, key lime) and it also looks there are three different icing flavors in your photo. I think the total was $450. Hope this helps.

Las Caletas Wedding and TTD Slideshow
                  Photos by the awesome Nathaniel Thompson

#10 Cabobride09

Cabobride09
                  • 85 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:46 AM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Pazoop
                    I just did cupcakes for my wedding last month -- my husband and I have long been known for our love of cupcakes so it seemed very fitting! Plus we both had also never tasted a wedding cake we liked. Well, we both loved the cupcakes and so did our guests! Some people had 3 or 4 cupcakes! There were so yummy!

I sent my wedding coordinator a picture essentially identical to yours (we also had one giant cupcake on top so that we could do a tradition cutting of the "cupcake"). We only paid what worked out to $6 per cupcake though -- quite a bit less and for what looks like the exact same thing. We had 75 cupcakes in three different flavors (chocolate cake-vanilla icing, vanilla cake-chocolate icing, key lime) and it also looks there are three different icing flavors in your photo. I think the total was $450. Hope this helps.

WoW!! I just clicked on your slideshow and was sooo touched by pictures. I love love love how your photographer captured each and everyones emotion. You wedding was absolutely beautiful. Thank-you so much for sharing.
                    Thanks,
                    Sandra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users