Post all "Knock Off Wedding Dress" questions/comments here

Lisadias

Did you decide what you were going to do with your dress that was too long?  Did you sell it or did you decide to alter?  Just inquiring as I have an extra dress (the ruffled dress) and wanted to know the success rate of selling a knockoff. 

G

Hey Ginger

I sent a message to one girl that was looking but no response. Haven't really advertised it yet. I has just been in my closet since however I have found a seamstress through a friend and I am going to take it to her to see what she can do and for how much. I think she will give me a pretty good deal so it may be worth it to just fix it. Sorry i could help. If I do decide to sell instead I will let you know my results.

By the way i am so happy that you love your dress and it's perfect! They did a fab job on the embroidery! Monica bridal is good for that and beading i found. Mine just wasn't perfect but maybe I can still make it so! Who knows!

Hi, I was going to order from landy bridal but after reading the posts on here i requested quotes from monica bridal and babyonline and they both quoted around $100 less than landy but now i cant decide whether to go monica or babyonline, any suggestions? the dresses i am going for are a fit and flare style all lace, im not really looking for beading or jewels or gatherings, i dont know if that makes a difference.

Thanks for you help

Here is the inspiration dress, they had it for order on dhgate so it isn't a customization job.

IMG_0371.jpg

Here they are compared

front1.jpgUntitled-2.jpg

I told them that I couldn't accept it as it is and they've told me that they basically won't have time to make another one because their new years holiday is coming up. Then they said that they would try to make it in 10 days. So I'm actually not sure if they will do it or not. I'm thinking of just offering $50 more to try and make sure they do it and do it well. Ho many more layers of tulle do you guys think the dress would need to become more opaque like the original? Right now it has 3 layers.

Shooty Star - Don't offer them more money to get it done. They are quick. When do you need the dress? Maybe they could have it done after New Year's and still have it in time for your wedding? I don't think adding tulle will make the skirt more opaque, but it will make it closer to the original. The problem is that the skirt/train overlay is longer than the underskirt, when it should be the same. I  hate to say it, but they only offer a replica, so because that dress is very complicated, it is harder to make it exact.

kristie - If you post a pic of your dress we might be able to give a better suggestion.

I know this wasn't directed at me, and it may be different for Canadian brides, but I thought I would offer my two cents.  I sold my dress on craigslist (they have this in Canada too, but not sure how popular it is) for the amount that I paid for it... and the girl who bought it LOVED it and was so excited that she got such nice a dress for sooo cheap!  I would say it took about two weeks to sell.    

Originally Posted by Ginger1961 View Post

Lisadias

Did you decide what you were going to do with your dress that was too long?  Did you sell it or did you decide to alter?  Just inquiring as I have an extra dress (the ruffled dress) and wanted to know the success rate of selling a knockoff. 

G

Mochamakes3: My wedding is in the first week of March. Does anyone know how long their holiday lasts? They were pretty resistant to adding more layers of tulle, so I thought if I offered some more $, they'd be more likely to agree to do it. I knew the details would be different when I decided to buy a knockoff and I was comfortable with different lace and embellishments as long as the shape of the dress looked the same on me.  I don't mind if the pleats are smaller or not as diagonal, but the missing pleats and missing waist band make the front look messy and the way they made the back looks like it would hug my butt, and I soooooo do not want that. I really hope monica bridal can make this dress right and in time because they've done awesome on other people's dresses.

I ran into similar problems with my first dress (also from Monica Bridal) and I think you made the same mistakes I did.  I assumed that what they did really is a "copy" of the dress in the picture, but it is not.  They use the picture as inspiration to make a dress that has similar structure.  I later had a dress made (by someone else) and I drew all over the picture, indicating exactly which parts I wanted to look the same as the "inspiration" and had a much better result.  Based on that alone, I would say maybe order a second dress with the pictures you have marked up below... I think you'll be happier, because I know I was!

The skirt on your inspiration dress and my final dress are similar... very opaque.  The skirt that was actually made on your dress and my final one are similar as well... one layer of tulle and it looks very sheer (you can find my dress a few pages back).  I asked if they could put another layer of tulle to make it more opaque and they told me it wouldn't be necessary, so I trusted them.  When my dress arrived and I tried it on, I saw they were right!  The skirt of my dress still is not as opaque as the inspiration dress, but the way it falls is opaque enough that it looks good and better than the pictures that were sent.  I think if more tulle was added, the skirt just would not look right.  I'm happy to post a picture of what I mean if you like, just let me know.

Hope that helps, I know that sometimes what we visualize in our heads is so different than what the dressmaker is thinking so its disappointing to see what they turn out with.  But I do think that (minor differences aside), your dress does look nice even if its not what you had wanted.  Someone else here mentioned that the pictures they send you dont look as nice as the actual dress when you receive it, and I do have to agree with that! 

Originally Posted by shootystar View Post

Here is the inspiration dress, they had it for order on dhgate so it isn't a customization job.

IMG_0371.jpg

Here they are compared

front1.jpgUntitled-2.jpg

I told them that I couldn't accept it as it is and they've told me that they basically won't have time to make another one because their new years holiday is coming up. Then they said that they would try to make it in 10 days. So I'm actually not sure if they will do it or not. I'm thinking of just offering $50 more to try and make sure they do it and do it well. Ho many more layers of tulle do you guys think the dress would need to become more opaque like the original? Right now it has 3 layers.

Shootystar, depending on how much spare dress money you have, you could always get monica bridal and babyonline (or another vendor) to make the dress for you? You would end up with two dresses, but at least that way you would have a better shot at one of the vendors getting the dress exactly as you want it.

With regard to the tulle, I think you would need at least 6 layers to get the look you are after.

Definitely send them the pics that you have 'drawn' all over as then they know exactly what to do.

I know that I was worried about the quality of the rhinestones on the dress I had Monica Bridal make for me, so I purchased the stones over here and sent them to her. She used a couple of their rhinestones and the quality difference is very noticeable (mine were swarovski, hers were plastic). You could do the same with the appliques.