Sign in to follow this  
A10CalGal

Spicy Pumpkin Soup

I have a ton of winter squash from my CSA and started researching recipes this weekend.

Well, I also have a pumpkin and decided to make this Spicy Pumpkin Soup. I started last night by cutting up the pumkin and roasting it: 350 - 375 degree oven, lightly drizzle with olive oil, flesh side down, approx 45 minutes or until fork tender.

Now, I like spicy stuff. I decided to follow the recipe exactly, and it was not spicy enough for me, so I added additional cayenne & crushed red pepper. I think you could do this soup with a lot less milk as well. I had my first bowl with a sprinkle of feta cheese...VERY TASTY!!

Spicy Pumpkin Soup

INGREDIENTS

4 Tbsp unsalted butter

2 medium yellow onions, chopped

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

2 teaspoons curry powder

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

Pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)

3 (15 oz) cans 100 percent pumpkin or 6 cups of chopped roasted pumpkin*

5 cups of chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)

2 cups of milk

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup heavy cream

METHOD

1 Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices and stir for a minute more.

2 Add pumpkin and 5 cups of chicken broth; blend well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.

3 Transfer soup, in batches, to a blender or food processor. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. Return soup to saucepan.

4 With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Slowly add milk while stirring to incorporate. Add cream. Adjust seasonings to taste. If a little too spicy, add more cream to cool it down. You might want to add a teaspoon of salt.

Serve in individual bowls. Sprinkle the top of each with toasted pumpkin seeds.

Serves 8.

umm...sounds so good...i love creamy soups in the winter and one of my favorite things is pumpkin curry.

i bet if you added a few dashes of curry it would kick it up a nothc wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Host View Post
umm...sounds so good...i love creamy soups in the winter and one of my favorite things is pumpkin curry.

i bet if you added a few dashes of curry it would kick it up a nothc wink.gif
There is curry in there!!

I'm having this for lunch today...I'll be interested to see if the spicy-ness has increased after a day.