Spicy Pumpkin Soup

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 A10CalGal

A10CalGal
  • VIP Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

I have a ton of winter squash from my CSA and started researching recipes this weekend.

Well, I also have a pumpkin and decided to make this Spicy Pumpkin Soup. I started last night by cutting up the pumkin and roasting it: 350 - 375 degree oven, lightly drizzle with olive oil, flesh side down, approx 45 minutes or until fork tender.

Now, I like spicy stuff. I decided to follow the recipe exactly, and it was not spicy enough for me, so I added additional cayenne & crushed red pepper. I think you could do this soup with a lot less milk as well. I had my first bowl with a sprinkle of feta cheese...VERY TASTY!!

Spicy Pumpkin Soup

INGREDIENTS
    4 Tbsp unsalted butter
    2 medium yellow onions, chopped
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    Pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
    3 (15 oz) cans 100 percent pumpkin or 6 cups of chopped roasted pumpkin*
    5 cups of chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)
    2 cups of milk
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup heavy cream

METHOD
    1 Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices and stir for a minute more.
    2 Add pumpkin and 5 cups of chicken broth; blend well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
    3 Transfer soup, in batches, to a blender or food processor. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. Return soup to saucepan.
    4 With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Slowly add milk while stirring to incorporate. Add cream. Adjust seasonings to taste. If a little too spicy, add more cream to cool it down. You might want to add a teaspoon of salt.
    Serve in individual bowls. Sprinkle the top of each with toasted pumpkin seeds.

Serves 8.

#2 Yari

Yari
    • VIP Member
    • 10,928 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:15 PM

Yum, you girls are killing me and making me hungry.

#3 A10CalGal

A10CalGal
      • VIP Member
      • 11,403 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

Haha!! Well, cruise on by. I have like 6 quarts of this soup in the fridge!

#4 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
        • 26,161 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:03 PM

I need this now, it's chilly here and that sounds so perfect. Yum!

#5 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
          • 11,659 posts
          • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:45 AM

umm...sounds so good...i love creamy soups in the winter and one of my favorite things is pumpkin curry.

i bet if you added a few dashes of curry it would kick it up a nothc

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
          Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
          Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
          Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
          sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
          Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#6 AnneW

AnneW
          • 127 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:51 AM

Ooo, I can't wait to try it! Sounds so good! Thanks for sharing!

#7 A10CalGal

A10CalGal
            • VIP Member
            • 11,403 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:47 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Tammy Host
              umm...sounds so good...i love creamy soups in the winter and one of my favorite things is pumpkin curry.

i bet if you added a few dashes of curry it would kick it up a nothc
              There is curry in there!!

I'm having this for lunch today...I'll be interested to see if the spicy-ness has increased after a day.

#8 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 10,366 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

yummy, I love anything pumpkin!

#9 Lizzdee

Lizzdee
                • 396 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:32 AM

Ooohhh..this sounds super good!

#10 CamLovesJA

CamLovesJA
                  • 301 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:14 AM

I LOVE SOUP! am eating lentil and basil soup as i write this. Will definitely try this one. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users