Sign in to follow this  
AnnaC

Easiest Legal Requirements?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to plan a destination wedding for September 09 and deciding between Jamaica, Mayan Riviera or the Dominican

Dominican Republic would probably be cheapest for our guests but the legal requirements look a little daunting..i.e. getting the documents translated.

It seems like Mexico also requires a blood test?

Jamaica looks the most straight forward so far...but will probably be the most expensive.

Any advice from people planning weddings in these countries? Have your experiences been smooth? Do the wedding coordinators usually take care of everything.

Jamaica was the easiest that I looked into, a big reason we chose to get married there.

The fee is $200.

Like Bianca said, you can always get married at home and do a symbolic or renewal ceremony at your destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinB View Post
Jamaica was the easiest that I looked into, a big reason we chose to get married there.
Ditto! We chose Jamaica over Mexico, DR or Cuba because you dont have to have bloodwork, chest xrays, or translate your docs to Spanish and then back into English. Too much work for this lazy bride...

Jamaica would have been our first choice as well if we didn't have guests budgets to contend with. It is so easy to get married there compared to other places.

When I was looking into packages, Mexico would have been cheapest, then Jamaica, then DR. You never really know until you see the numbers!

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
Getting legally married in your hometown is pretty popular. A lot of brides just do a symbolic ceremony at there destination.
Which day do you look at as your anniversary?

We are going to sign the legal paperwork at home, no ceremony, and have the ceremony in Mexico. Plus we save like $450. No one but us will know that the one in Mexico is only symbolic, so we will celebrate our anniversary on our ceremony day.

When we first got the idea of a DW wedding, we thought it would only be us and one other couple so we chose Jamaica due to the simplicity and cost of the paperwork, etc.

Now, more people want to join us, and they have 3 years notice to save :-)