anyone switched from a PC to a Mac???

Michelle

hey ladies!

im thinking of getting a MacBook laptop soon but I have never had an apple computer so im wondering if anyone on here has made the switch from pc to machuh.gif is it a hard system to learn?? i am scared to buy it and then realise its frustrating to learn... do you regret the choice that you made by switching?? any good or bad stories/advice would be appreciated :)

thanks cheesy.gif

I haven't switched, but I SO want to! I used to do a lot of video editing, and they're AWESOME for that! I love Macs :) I actually remember the guy who used to show me how to do more advanced editing saying that Macs are like computers for dummies lol They're not, they're actually very advanced machines, but they're also very user friendly, so if you don't know how to do something, play around with it and you'll figure it out most of the time :) Now it is a little harder to get specific software for it, and if you're doing a lot of spreadsheets and word processing and those types of things then you may get frustrated trying to find a copy of Microsoft Office (which does exist, just usually in short supply) but if you're the least bit computer savvy at all (as in, you can do a little more than turn the darn thing on lol) then you'll do just fine cheesy.gif

About two years ago I got my mac... my baby! Honestly up until the day I bought it, I hated mac's... i thought i couldn't use it, and they were tricky... I also thought you couldn't do a right-click but you totally can, just differently. After about a week I was in LOVE with it. It is so small, amazing, works efficiently, long battery power. My FI bought himself one about 6 months later becuase he liked mine so much...

There are a few things that can be frustrating, but there are ways around any "mac" issue you may have.

Join the mac club, its fun... watch a few of the pc mac ad's just to make yourself certain!

macs are much more user friendly than PCs. we are a two mac household (i have a powerbook & DH has a macbook pro - essentially the same thing but mine is one generation previous to his; his has the built in webcam, intel chip, etc) & plan to purchase our third in january so we can have an imac in our home office so i can work off a bigger screen.

macs are superior machines especially for photo & video editing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMrsLewis View Post
Now it is a little harder to get specific software for it, and if you're doing a lot of spreadsheets and word processing and those types of things then you may get frustrated trying to find a copy of Microsoft Office (which does exist, just usually in short supply) but if you're the least bit computer savvy at all (as in, you can do a little more than turn the darn thing on lol) then you'll do just fine cheesy.gif
however - what you said is misleading. if you are doing spreadsheets & word processing it is not hard at all to find microsoft office. in fact, you can even order your mac pre-installed with the microsoft office suite. if you are a student, you can get a discount on the software. there is no shortage of them, so i really dont know where you got your info on that.

it is true that there are certain types of software that are not available for macs yet. one example is lumapix. however, i am not sure whether it could be run if you operate "parallels" on your mac.

ETA: i found out some people can run it on parralels on the new macs that have intel chips, but a lot of people report problems with the program.

a spreadsheet program i use at work called lotus 1-2-3, which was a precursor to excel, also does not exist for mac, but theres no reason you should want/need to use lotus over excel anyway because excel is better.

feel free to ask any questions - i have had my mac powerbook since 2004, and used macs in college & highschool prior to that. i use a PC daily and despise the PC, but my company is too cheap to buy everybody macs. wink.gif

I said that the office software was sometimes hard to find because of personal experience. In major centres, the software may be available everywhere, but when we ordered our iMac, there was no option to order it with office pre-installed, and in rural Newfoundland, trying to find a copy was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Even stores in the capital city were out of stock. They'd get one copy in and it would sell within the week, sometimes within a number of hours. It's a little easier now because I have a few connections, but I was just making a statement that, depending on where you live, it MAY be difficult to find.

I've also got a friend who runs linux on his mac, and it works perfectly, and he can run any windows program with ease.