Photo

Woman jailed after killing her online husband's...avatar??

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MarieSam

MarieSam
  • VIP Member
  • 2,336 posts
    • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:10 AM

I don't know what to make of this story...is it ridiculous? funny? or sad that this woman and man actually reacted this way? I'm definitely left thinking

Online divorcee jailed after killing virtual hubby
    By MARI YAMAGUCHI, Associated Press

TOKYO: A 43-year-old Japanese woman whose sudden divorce in a virtual game world made her so angry that she killed her online husband's digital persona has been arrested on suspicion of hacking, police said Thursday.

The woman, who is jailed on suspicion of illegally accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data, used his identification and password to log onto popular interactive game "Maple Story" to carry out the virtual murder in mid-May, a police official in northern Sapporo said on condition of anonymity, citing department policy.

"I was suddenly divorced, without a word of warning. That made me so angry," the official quoted her as telling investigators and admitting the allegations.

The woman had not plotted any revenge in the real world, the official said.

She has not yet been formally charged, but if convicted could face a prison term of up to five years or a fine up to $5,000.

Players in "Maple Story" raise and manipulate digital images called "avatars" that represent themselves, while engaging in relationships, social activities and fighting against monsters and other obstacles.

The woman used login information she got from the 33-year-old office worker when their characters were happily married, and killed the character. The man complained to police when he discovered that his beloved online avatar was dead.

#2 2bebridejamaica

2bebridejamaica
    • 1,206 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:16 AM

HAHAHA I heard this on the ride in to work... "Stupid News" is daily on the radio station I listen to ... I was cracking up over this

#3 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 18,759 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

ha ha! this game sounds like second life. recently second life started having economic problems and is experiencing a recession.

#4 Jacqueline

Jacqueline
        • VIP Member
        • 3,160 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

im speechless!

#5 Yari

Yari
          • VIP Member
          • 10,928 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:24 AM

Dang she needs to get a life!

#6 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 5,752 posts
            • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:32 AM

just to be clear, it doesnt matter whether she virtually killed the avatar or not - the crime she's being accused of is hacking. hacking is a crime.

granted, this is stupid, but she still committed a crime.

#7 Hartyt509

Hartyt509
            • 2,262 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

Oh ffs!! If we all did that when we got divorced we'd all be in jail lmao mind you I did consider it

Then thought nah i'll let me dad break some bones that'll be more lasting lmao

#8 Jess

Jess
              • 4,455 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:35 AM

OMG - this is so weird! haha

#9 MarieSam

MarieSam
                • VIP Member
                • 2,336 posts
                  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:43 AM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Maura
                  just to be clear, it doesnt matter whether she virtually killed the avatar or not - the crime she's being accused of is hacking. hacking is a crime.

granted, this is stupid, but she still committed a crime.
                  Very true she did hack and that is def. a crime....but the fact that she went there because she was so mad, and then he was so distraught about it he reported her to police. i just can't wrap my head around this for some reason...it absolutely baffles me.

#10 Jen_S

Jen_S
                  • 3,737 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:28 PM

That is crazy people really love their games. They just had a show on Dr Phil this week about people addicted to games this one went to far.
                    Our Honeymoon In Ireland!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users