Photo

Wedding dress made by relative

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 quackquack

quackquack
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:00 PM

How do you feel about getting a wedding dress made? Do you think it is still the same as store bought, especially if you already have one in mind but can't afford it

#2 mexicobride2009

mexicobride2009
    • 164 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

Can you have the dress made similar to the one you have in mind in the store? I think it's a great idea!! It can be made to fit you... how you want it! Plus I think it would be kind of special having it made by someone in your family :) I'd go for it!

#3 boscobel

boscobel
      • VIP Member
      • 24,213 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:24 PM

I am all for it. But since it's a family member that makes things kinda sticky. Have you seen work they have done before? Can you be sure that they see your vision?

I tried to get my wedding dress made and since it was lace, it was going to be almost as much as the original. Plus once I saw pics of her previous dresses, I realized that we weren't on the same wave-length style-wise.

I would be really nervous having a family member do it though, unless you know for sure they have the talent. Cuz it could just be drama down the road.

#4 Jen_S

Jen_S
        • 3,737 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:25 PM

I would loved to have a dress made just for me but did not really know where to start looking. Are you able to design the dress, if so I would go for it!!!!
          Our Honeymoon In Ireland!!

#5 sunsetbride1

sunsetbride1
          • 1,083 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:17 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by carly
            I am all for it. But since it's a family member that makes things kinda sticky. Have you seen work they have done before? Can you be sure that they see your vision?

I would be really nervous having a family member do it though, unless you know for sure they have the talent. Cuz it could just be drama down the road.
            I completely agree.. if it works out well then you have a wonderful situation! The dress will be more special to you because it was made for you by someone in your family and it will be made to fit your body. But, if it doesn't work out well.. then it gets awkward. Either you are stuck with a dress you aren't completely satisified with or you have a very uncomfortable situation with a family member.

#6 SAM

SAM
            • 542 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:28 PM

I would also go for it. My FMIL had her dress made for her 2nd marriage. She went to San Francisco and bought this beautiful high end fabric (she got a great deal) and then found a pattern at a local fabric store.

It turned out great but I would have them have your dress ready a few months ahead of time just in case something comes up and you have to make changes to the dress.

#7 quackquack

quackquack
              • 152 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:57 PM

thanks for advice. I have pictures of the dress I want and she was going to go to the bridal shop with me to see it in person. She made a couple of things for me before but it was when I was in high school. I can trust her but I am just scared bc it is my wedding dress...gggrrrr...what a tough decision

#8 Danniellou

Danniellou
                • 815 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:29 PM

I think it is a fantastic idea. Especially if some one special makes it for you, then it's even better!

#9 ~*Kathy*~

~*Kathy*~
                  • 5,649 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:06 AM

I was this close to having my mom make mine, she's been sewing for most of her life and I know she would have considered it an honour. The thing is, if it didn't turn out how I envisioned, I wouldn't have wanted her to feel like a failure, I love her and would be afraid to hurt her feelings. She did offer to do it if I didn't find a dress I loved by last Saturday, luckily for both of us, I did. It saves her a ton of work between finding a pattern and fabric and making it look good on my body, even though it was a fairly simple design. Either way, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you find a dress you love! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users