Photo

HELP! Alterations question

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 NJ_bride

NJ_bride
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:40 PM

Hi everyone! I went for my first fitting yesterday and we have a big issue for what they are trying to charge me for alterations. Here is the senerio I bought a couture gown in february through a bridal shop where the designer was having a trunk show. The designer hereself measured me for the dress and made the entire thing from scratch for me. I know they do a size larger becuase you can take in but not let out and of course it needs to be hemmed to be the right length with my shoes. But I am not making any changes to the dress and I did not gain any weight, I lost a little but not drastic.
    They want $500 for alterations! The dress was a lot but to my mom and I isn't what we were paying for was a custom dress? We were expecting maybe $300 in alterations since it has to be all done by hand. I was hoping you guys could advice? Had we known this much I would have bought a cheaper dress and spent the $500 bucks in alterations to make it the way I wanted. I just think that is a little extreme.

#2 kate.com

kate.com

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 8,921 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:45 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by NJ_bride
      Hi everyone! I went for my first fitting yesterday and we have a big issue for what they are trying to charge me for alterations. Here is the senerio I bought a couture gown in february through a bridal shop where the designer was having a trunk show. The designer hereself measured me for the dress and made the entire thing from scratch for me. I know they do a size larger becuase you can take in but not let out and of course it needs to be hemmed to be the right length with my shoes. But I am not making any changes to the dress and I did not gain any weight, I lost a little but not drastic.
      They want $500 for alterations! The dress was a lot but to my mom and I isn't what we were paying for was a custom dress? We were expecting maybe $300 in alterations since it has to be all done by hand. I was hoping you guys could advice? Had we known this much I would have bought a cheaper dress and spent the $500 bucks in alterations to make it the way I wanted. I just think that is a little extreme.

Hi! find someone else to do the alterations. I am in the same boat, but am taking it to another seamstress. Just get a reference, but if it simple it shouldn't be a problem (by hand too)... You shouldn't have to pay more than $300. You are paying wedding mark up my friend.

#3 syl1115

syl1115
      • 789 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:47 PM

I agree with Kate. Find another seamstress. BUT DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST! I don't want you to be in the same position I was. My seamstress ruined my wedding dress and Bridesmaids dress. We had to get new ones because they could not be repaired. Get references and ask for examples of his/her work. Check the BBB also. Good luck.
        Sylvia

Our wedding slideshowhttp://www.facebook.....=1047086342460

#4 Jenn

Jenn
        • 1,557 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:03 PM

$500 is definitely high! Like the others said, find another seamstress and it should be way cheaper. I bought a couture gown off the rack, had the zipper changed to a corset, dress hemmed, bustled, cups sown in, and it was taken in twice and it was $325 total.

#5 Jen_S

Jen_S
          • 3,737 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:47 PM

I agree 500 is high. I would look for another seamstress, I see you are in NJ I bought my dress in Allentown PA and am getting my dress done by the store who they use I can refer her if it is close for you.
            Our Honeymoon In Ireland!!

#6 NJ_bride

NJ_bride
            • 227 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:09 AM

Yes, I live only 20 minutes from the PA border so if you don't mind sharing I would appreciate the referall. Thanks!

#7 KAMAY11

KAMAY11
              • 456 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

I am going to go against everyone here and say that yes-$500 does seem high, but what exactly do they have to alter? My best friend had her dress altered (there was quite a bit of work involved) and it came to $500. If your dress requires a lot of changes, then I'd say that price is the norm.
                ...just my thoughts...
                D & K
                October 16th, 2008-Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

http://tickers.Ticke....7276/event.png

#8 NJ_bride

NJ_bride
                • 227 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

Hi Kaylee,

See that's the thing I didn't make any changes. The alterations are as follows, hem, take in waist, put in bustle. Pretty much the standard I think?

#9 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
                  • VIP Member
                  • 18,452 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:25 PM

$500 does seem high if that's all the changes you are making.
                    ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
                    Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
                    Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#10 KAMAY11

KAMAY11
                    • 456 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:32 PM

You're right-that does seem very high for what you need done....i was just thinking that if you had to change a lot on the dress then the price would would be higher!
                      What you're getting altered is pretty much what I had done for my dress and I paid $250...Look elsewhere!!!
                      Good Luck!!
                      D & K
                      October 16th, 2008-Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

http://tickers.Ticke....7276/event.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users