Photo

Bio Father VS Step-Father issues..

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Cindy&London

Cindy&London
  • 258 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:42 AM

My step-dad has been my rock since I can remember.. I call him Dad and I love him so very very much. My bio Dad and I just became closer in the recent years as he is a recovering alcoholic and we had a very rocky relationship throughout my childhood. He basically missed out on everything that a Dad should be present for in their childs life.
    I'm so scared of confrontation and I don't know what to say to either of them. I don't want to hurt either of their feelings. My bio Dad has done so much for me since he has become sober (about 10 years now).. and I'm his only child. Still I can't help but feel that it really doesn't make up for lost time.
    I am my step-dad's little girl.. I'm very much a Daddy's Girl and he spoils me to no end.. I'm not afraid to admit that :) I want to make this day special for the both of us.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on things that wil make this day special for him & I as father and daughter? Not just the typical walking down the aisle or father/daughter dance??
    My idea for the giving away part is that my bio dad walks me half way down the aisle and gives me to my step-dad who walks me the rest of the way and gives me away... do you think that would work?
    Do you think that having 2 father/dances would be too much??

Thanks for any input you all have!!

#2 RosieM

RosieM
    • Banned
    • 97 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:57 AM

I think you have the perfect plan!! And no 2 father daughter dances are not to much, its your wedding.

#3 Jenn3878

Jenn3878
      • 5,681 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:23 AM

Aww that's sweet that you are trying to involve them both in your day. Have you talked to them about it? I would have them both walk me up the aisle at the same time and then do 2 dances? Good luck!!

#4 Virg

Virg
        • 684 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:33 AM

I love the idea of them walking you both down the aisle, one after the other.
          As for the father/bride dance I would split the song up in half. :)
          Happily Ever After: June 1, 2006
          Made it legal : June 30, 2009

http://i37.photobuck....h_IMG_8136.jpg

#5 *Casey*

*Casey*
          • 5,209 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:40 AM

Could both of them walk you down? One on each side. And as far as the dance goes, I would split the one song up and have one of them cut in... half way through the song. Just a few suggestions.

#6 jajajaja

jajajaja
            • VIP Member
            • 9,794 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:48 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Case*a*licious
              Could both of them walk you down? One on each side. And as far as the dance goes, I would split the one song up and have one of them cut in... half way through the song. Just a few suggestions.
              Ditto. I also like your suggestion of them each walking you a distance but after one father hands you off does he finish walking up the aisle behind you? Or does he walk back and go around the seating. Just something to consider.
              Happily married since 2008

#7 Kathie

Kathie
              • 2,654 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:51 AM

I totally agree with Case. Have them both walk you down together and have one cut in on the father/daughter dance.

#8 BachataBride

BachataBride
                • Banned
                • 9,310 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:52 PM

Until my step-dad passed away 18mths ago I was going through this exact same situation. Although my bio father has always been in my life he has never really played a significant role. My decision was to have the both of them walk me up the aisle. Now that he is no longer with us, I am having my mom walk in his place. As for the parental dance - we are not doing it. I don't know what you are doing for speeches, but maybe you could have him (your step-dad) do the welcome to the family speech.

#9 KAMAY11

KAMAY11
                  • 456 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:16 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about sharing the song with both and having one "cut in"...I like the idea of having both of them walk you down the aisle, but I don't think there's anything wrong with having two father-daughter dances!
                    D & K
                    October 16th, 2008-Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

http://tickers.Ticke....7276/event.png

#10 KAMAY11

KAMAY11
                    • 456 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:18 PM

BTW: I LOVE your daughter's name!!! That's what I want to name my daughter (when I have kids! Lol.)...except my spelling is: Lunden.
                      D & K
                      October 16th, 2008-Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

http://tickers.Ticke....7276/event.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users