Registries and DW Etiquette

This is such a hard decision for me and Jared. We would love gifts cuz we don't have much. But we figure that our guests are paying so much money already to come to Mexico we wouldn't want them spending any more money on gifts. Kinda like our gift is them being there with us.

Should we still create a registry and post it on our web site?

How is everyone else dealing with the registry? If you have one?

Ironically we are in the excat opposiute situation. We've been living together for almost 6 years - we have everything for our apartment that we really need. I don't really need people to buy us stuff. To be honest (and this sounds awful) I'd rather people give money because we want to save up for a house and LA is so ridiculously expensive that any money we can put towards a future downpayment - the better!

So on that note, the truth of the matter is that you can tell people that their gift to you is being there at your wedding. But at the same time you certainly don't have to! There are going to be a lot of people out there who either A) Can't come and want to show you they care by sending a gift OR B) Can come and want to show you they love you by sending a gift! For those people you can have a registry and post it up. You will get gifts no matter what - I guess the real decision is whether you'd like it to be stuff you and Jared have pipcked out together or if you'd like to be surprised. I think picking stuff out together is the way to go.

Dan and I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond to register because there are some things I wouldn't mind replacing (mis-matched dishes, new bedsheets are always nice, etc.) and they have a good variety, they're not super expensive and they're located all over the place and online. PLus they have a good return or exchange policy if once you get something you decide you don't like it.

It sounds like you are in need of basic household stuff so I think a place like this is a good idea. Do it! People are going to want to buy you guys stuff - let them know what you like!

I'm exactly like Kash, the only thing we need for our house are things we want to do to it, IE put up crown molding, finishing painting, etc. SO we told Marty that "if" someone asks what to get us, tell them cash or a home depot gift card.

SO yes, register for stuff. People will want to get you something and they may ask your family or attendents what to get.

same here. we have way more than we'd ever need to furnish a house. we originally didn't plan on registering at all. but then when FMIL and FSIL insisted on throwing me a shower, I knew people, especially the "older" generation, would want to buy gifts. so then we decided to register for a few things. we mostly did "upgrade" stuff, or the fun, decorative stuff you don't often buy for yourself. we figured these people were going to buy us a gift anyway, we may as well give them some ideas. i was really against registering, but we were talked into it. we still say we don't expect gifts, but if they insist, here are some ideas ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreen View Post
Cool thanks Kash. Do Bed Bath and Beyond have a registry?
Yes - they have an online registry that you can just sign up for and pick stuff online. We did that plus me and my FI went to the store - they pulled our registry up and handed us a scanner gun! It was pretty fun - we basically just walked around the store and scanned in stuff that we wouldn't mind having.

It's super easy - here's the link:

Bed Bath & Beyond

We're doing 2-3 registries--- Bed, Bath & Beyond because of their flexible return policy, Target for the things we need replaced. But since retail has a high turnover on their products, we won't put items on our registry until we're about 6 months away from the wedding. In the meantime, we have a honeymoon registry on our website for those in case people don't want to wait until the retail registries are filled in with products.

Melissa, we also put on our website that our main priority was saving for a house and that we opened a special savings account for it so that people could donate to that instead of actually buying a present.

I feel the same as you do, but we registered because we figured that people would want to buy us gifts even if we told them not to ...

So our wedding is next weekend :eek!: and we have two registries and they both have less than 40% of the items left (today is my second shower) and people were complaining last weekend at my first shower that there were not enough items left!

So I would say it is definitely a good idea to register. I realize that it's a big expense for our guests, but I have also realized that our guests are all really excited. Sometimes I think that they are more excited than we are!

so while I have made it a point to let everyone know that gifts are not necessary it's nice to know that we won't end up with 25 crystal vases. Chris and I have lived together for 1.5 years and have been on our own for 10+ so we have everything that we could need, but it's awesome to get upgrades on our pots, pans, linens, etc.

oh and we did NOT put our registry info on our website. I just never got around to it, but people figured it out.