Sign in to follow this  
Mrs. Martin

Would you pay for calligraphy for placecards?

*UPDATES ON PAGE 3*

I need your advise! I ordered these beautiful 4 inch sand dollars to use for placecards and I want the guests' names written on them (the pic below was my inspiration). My aunt, who has great writing, offered to write the names for me. Now that she saw the sand dollars (which seem super delicate), she's afraid of messing up and ruining them and is no longer wanting to do it for me. I researched a few people locally that did calligraphy and the best price I was quoted was $2.00 a shell (and that is not an exact quote, she wants to see them first).

I'm not trying to be cheap, but I can't imagine myself spending almost $90 on signatures!!! But, I don't want the writing to look crappy either. They are part of the decor, so I want them to look nice! Should I spend the $$huh.gif? I know the font on the pic example looks very simple, but the way the shell is curved and being that they are so delicate, I would be afraid of someone trying to write on them that is not a proffesional. What do I dohuh.gif

Click the image to open in full size.

I wouldn't, but that's just me. Do you have a friend who has really nice handwriting, or even printing? With the fancy paint pens, you can make just about any writing look good. I would ask your aunt to test 1 or 2 out and see how she feels about it then. Do you have extras?

i wanted to do it, but refused to spend $ on it. i tried it myself and could not get it to look the way i wanted it to. personally, i can think of better ways to spend $90+, but like carly said, ask your aunt to check it out.

I'm with Carly. I probably wouldn't spend that on handwriting. I totally get you wanting them to look nice & neat, but the $90 bucks just kills me!

Have you thought about your friends? Maybe one of them has neat handwriting? There's nothing better than a DIY project where all the girls help out!

Also, not sure how this would work, but what about some type of clear/transparent sticky paper! You know what I meanhuh.gif Not regular white heavy paper, but something that you could use your computer to print out in a nice font then you could just stick it on? I know it sounds tacky or unappealing, but hopefully you can conceptualize what I'm trying to say! Try some kinda arts n craft store maybehuh.gif

I don't think I would. But it does look nice, but if you can't see yourself paying that much then don't.

Is that the kind where you can write on it in pencil? If it is maybe your aunt can pencil it in first and then go over it with a fine tip marker.

Well, i would probably spend it if it was important to me - i do think it is expensive and maybe you could try to find someone cheaper and i also really like the idea of getting a couple xtra for your Aunt to practice on.

What about stencils and some kind of spray? I doubt it would cost much if you went to a craft store. I think if you cant find a different way then pay for the writing. I think the idea behind it is really cool and if I had a sand dollar that had my name on it I would defiantly bring it home and save it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
Well, i would probably spend it if it was important to me
i agree!

what about the letter rub-on sheets you can get at like michaels? i dont think you have to rub very hard to get them to transfer, might be an idea.