Photo

Question for Photographers....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dmarie17

dmarie17
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

So I booked a prof photographer for my ceremony and reception but cant' really afford to have another one for my TTD session. My MOH dabbles in photography and has taken classes and has a nice camera and has offered to take pics for us so what the heck... it's free! The only thing is, she's never done anything like this before. I'm planning to show her pictures of other TTD sessions that I've found on here but I'm wondering if there are any special things she should know... like what order to do the pics in? Which pics look the best? etc. etc...
    If any of you photographers out there wouldn't mind shooting some tips and advice over, I would be extremely grateful!!
    Thanks so much!
    d

#2 jean-marcus

jean-marcus
    • 1,565 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:00 PM

actually order is important... you want to start out doing all the photos that are the "cleaner" and "dry" ones first. each location is different but kind of map out a head of time the possible shots and figure out which ones to do first. you dont want to start out rolling around on the beach and in the water or running through the palm trees or wahtever if you are going to want to do some ones where your hair is nicer or dress is dry also.

other then that really the only real trick is to have as muuuuch fun as possible. there are no bad ideas in a TTD shoot. just play around and get lost in the moment and try and be as creative and fun and unique as possible :)

#3 dmarie17

dmarie17
      • 276 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:58 PM

Thanks Jean Marcus!! I knew that you would be the one answering this one!!

#4 jean-marcus

jean-marcus
        • 1,565 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:13 AM

always happy to help :)

#5 Jeremy_Gilliam

Jeremy_Gilliam
          • 335 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:09 AM

I'll second Jean-Marcus, the first rule is: "There are no rules!" Just make sure you have plenty of time and energy. I'm sure you have looked at a thousand TTD images from this forum and you have an idea of what you like and the look you would like to go for. Just go for it!

#6 ~Melissa~

~Melissa~

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 8,680 posts
            • Wedding Date:October 7, 2010
            • Wedding Location:Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
            • LocationUtah

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:33 AM

Oh you are all going to have s much fun doing a TTD. I second what JM said, get dry photos first then get wet and dirty

I suggest looking at as many TTD photos as you possibly can before hand and writing down the idea that you like. Then she them to her so she can figure out the angles and just get on the same wave length as you.

When you're there at Dreams walk around and see where you think the best locations for the shoot will be. Time is another important factor to pay attention to. Usually in the morning there aren't as many people around and it's some of the best lighting for photography. Also in the evening is great for lighting, there just may be more people around.

#7 endlesslove

endlesslove
            • 362 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:52 PM

Posts like these make me so excited to do a TTD shoot with my photographer. She's so excited to do it as well, which is going to make it even more amazing!

I wold suggest making a list of places you'd like to get pictures done, what types and work your way from there.

#8 tonyschreiber

tonyschreiber
              • 32 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:05 PM

Assuming your friend has the basic technical chops down, I wouldn't put too many rules on a TTD session. As jean-marcus said, the only issue with order comes down to dry/wet and clean/dirty. Make a set of bookmarks of images you find online that you like.

But a TTD session is probably one of the free-est and potentially creatively sessions we can get, so try whatever the heck you or your photographer wants! In terms of when, just after sunrise and just before sunset are the classic times for outdoor portraits. Bright sunlight can be fun too, but usually requires skilled use of flash to be really effective.
                Tony Schreiber, Photographer [ Blog | Website ]
                Serving South Florida and Destinations Worldwide
                http://technocraft.s....14_VKKpE-S.jpg

#9 photographerShay

photographerShay
                • 33 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:40 PM

You've already got some great tips here....and I guess I'd just like to add to avoid harsh mid-day sunlight. If you must shoot mid-day then get in the shade if you don't have cloud coverage.
                  Shay
                  Photographer based in Utah, but avail for travel.
                  Website
                  Photography Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users