Photo

Computer help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bride010101

Bride010101
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:50 PM

I just got a new laptop yesterday (yay!) after complaining and putting up with my old one for the last few months. Today I am working from home so I decided to multi-task and begin loading some of the programs (printer, ipod, etc) onto the new computer.

When I tried to do the ipod I got an error message and things pretty much froze up. I was able to log off and shut down but now that I rebooted... my touchpad isn't working. I have NO clue on how to fix it and can't seem to find anything online that helps. (the little pointer is just stuck in the middle of the screen). When I plug in an external mouse it works just fine.

The laptop is a Toshiba (A305D-S684. Any ideas?

#2 twinkletoes

twinkletoes
    • 2,302 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:49 PM

Try this: Press the Fn and F9 keys simulatenously (I think this is the function to enable/disable the touchpad)

OR if that doesnt work...

You could always do a power cycle:
      Ex: unplug the AC (the plug in the wall from the laptop) .. take the battery out.. Plug the AC back in and try to turn computer ON with AC alone (Ex, leave the battery out and just start computer with AC power).. Once windows loads up and everything is fine, then turn system off. Unplug AC.. put battery back in.. Plug AC back in and restart computer..

Hope this works!
      2 Hearts, 1 Love 08.08.08Punta Cana, D.R.

#3 Dez921714

Dez921714
      • 1,489 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:55 PM

I was going to suggest the same thing as twinketoes. I knwo my laptop also has a little button at the top of the mousepad, if I press it it locks the pad...which actually comes in handy since my hand hits it constantly while I type lol
        http://ticker.7910.o....25vdCBpbiA.gif27 Confirmed with Plane Tickets...5 with rooms booked!

150 INVITES / 6 YES / 13 NO

#4 jean-marcus

jean-marcus
        • 1,565 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:57 PM

well my advice would be get a macbook

that sucks though. sorry . hopefully twinkletoes advice worked. nothing worse then having your electronics freak out on you all of a sudden.. my camera is doing that to me right now and its just costing me money left and right.. UGH

#5 Bride010101

Bride010101
          • 1,547 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for the advice. I had tried the F9 thing multiple times... but hadn't heard of the battery cycle. Sadly, neither worked. I talked to a girl at Best Buy and since it occured during installation of another program and since I really didn't have anything on the computer yet... she suggested just doing the system restore disk. Well 2 hours and much frustration later... the system restore is done... and it still doesn't work. Argh... I'll have to make another trip to Best Buy.

#6 Infinity22

Infinity22
            • 1,520 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by BeckyN
              Thanks for the advice. I had tried the F9 thing multiple times... but hadn't heard of the battery cycle. Sadly, neither worked. I talked to a girl at Best Buy and since it occured during installation of another program and since I really didn't have anything on the computer yet... she suggested just doing the system restore disk. Well 2 hours and much frustration later... the system restore is done... and it still doesn't work. Argh... I'll have to make another trip to Best Buy.
              Do you have a AntiVirus program on this computer? It could be scanning the iPod, thus not allowing it to connect to your computer correctly. I've had this problem before, so whenever I connect my iPod, I startup the computer without the virus scanning processes.

#7 joshfrommontreal

joshfrommontreal
              • 291 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:53 PM

Did your computer come with a cd of drivers? If so you could try reinstalling the touchpad driver.

Toshiba Support - Content List

Hopefully that link works. It's a link to the Touchpad driver you can try and install.

If the link doesn't work, go here and select your model and its on the 3rd page.

Toshiba Support - Model Selector

#8 Bride010101

Bride010101
                • 1,547 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone : )

I have no clue what actually did it... but I swear after trying all those things, tryin to reinstall just the touchpad driver, then reinstalling everything it still wasn't working. So I packed everything up and made the trip back to Best Buy... and low and behold the guy turns it on and it works! Stupid computer... but at least it is magically fixed and good to go. (And if it happens again, the guy said just bring it back and have it exchanged... but so far so good.)

#9 twinkletoes

twinkletoes
                  • 2,302 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:04 PM

Sorry I couldnt help, but glad you whatever it was, was fixed,lol
                    2 Hearts, 1 Love 08.08.08Punta Cana, D.R.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users