Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Maura

ATTN: Riviera Maya brides, IMPORTANT info from your MODS

Recommended Posts

I just got an email back from Mezzanine. They said:

 

Hola Amy,

 

 

We confirm that Mezzanine has not been seized. Our guests are still enjoying their cocktails poolside and our restaurant and bars remain open to the public. Like several other hotels along the same beach we do have a giant tape in front of the hotel but we are expecting to have the tape removed within the next few days.

We thank you for your patience:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amy so does that mean they are not closed? Hmmm that seems kind of weird that the media would report that they closed down already and were evacuating people. Well either way I'm glad to hear that they are not closed. Hopefully the situation will change for the better soon with all the resorts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for the info Maura! cheesy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy706 View Post
I just got an email back from Mezzanine. They said:

Hola Amy,


We confirm that Mezzanine has not been seized. Our guests are still enjoying their cocktails poolside and our restaurant and bars remain open to the public. Like several other hotels along the same beach we do have a giant tape in front of the hotel but we are expecting to have the tape removed within the next few days.
We thank you for your patience:)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrvsbride View Post
Amy so does that mean they are not closed? Hmmm that seems kind of weird that the media would report that they closed down already and were evacuating people. Well either way I'm glad to hear that they are not closed. Hopefully the situation will change for the better soon with all the resorts.

Amy, what they're telling you is true - the hotel has not been "seized" yet - they've just been told they cannot accept any guests other than the ones they've already got presently staying inside the hotel.

Glenda, from what I'm reading in the Spanish media, they didn't really evacuate any guests as of yet.

I do have some minor updates, but theyre all in Spanish and I don't have time to translate each one word for word.

So, here are the basics:
The attorney for the Mexican EPA (called Profepa) said that also in addition to Tulum and Cancun, areas in Acapulco, Baja California Sur (where Cabo is located) and Nayarit will be subject to similar sanctions as these hotels for harming the environment and for not having the proper required documentation to operate in accordance with environmental laws near government-owned and protected land.

They're threatening to demolish hotels who don't comply with any sanctions given to them to fix the problems. But at this point, it's only a threat. They're saying that the hotels would eventually be demolished to rehabilitate nature on the land where the buildings are currently located. i.e. return the land to its natural state.

Basically there is a lot of talk about the reason why all this happened in the first place is because business people (the hoteliers) and the federal goverment employees have had a long-standing corrupt relationship. Certain gov. officials likely gave out illegal permits and such in exchange for bribes.

The Profepa has drawn up a map of the areas all in question (all around the country, using satellite images) to determine what properties are where, and if they are violating any environmental law or encroaching on government owned sanctuary-type land.


In addition to the hotels already closed in Tulum, they are adding two names to the list that are under investigation: Rancho Jaguar and Caleta Tankah. It seems also from one thing I read that they have also closed places called Mayan Grill and Ibera Playa Paraiso. The attorney for Profepa did also say that they are giving all the hotels some time and are not immediately closing them permanently.


If you can read in Spanish, here is the source I have been getting my info from today:
http://www.yucatan.com.mx/noticia.asp?cx=90300000067316&f=20080718

http://www.yucatan.com.mx/noticia.asp?cx=90000000066968&f=20080718

http://www.yucatan.com.mx/noticia.asp?cx=90000000066966&f=20080718

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have an update on the government seizures of hotels in Tulum? I heard a rumor that Eurostar Blue Tulum and Ana y Jose are slated to be closed.

 

Any info is much appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
Amy, what they're telling you is true - the hotel has not been "seized" yet - they've just been told they cannot accept any guests other than the ones they've already got presently staying inside the hotel.

Glenda, from what I'm reading in the Spanish media, they didn't really evacuate any guests as of yet.

I do have some minor updates, but theyre all in Spanish and I don't have time to translate each one word for word.

So, here are the basics:
The attorney for the Mexican EPA (called Profepa) said that also in addition to Tulum and Cancun, areas in Acapulco, Baja California Sur (where Cabo is located) and Nayarit will be subject to similar sanctions as these hotels for harming the environment and for not having the proper required documentation to operate in accordance with environmental laws near government-owned and protected land.

They're threatening to demolish hotels who don't comply with any sanctions given to them to fix the problems. But at this point, it's only a threat. They're saying that the hotels would eventually be demolished to rehabilitate nature on the land where the buildings are currently located. i.e. return the land to its natural state.

Basically there is a lot of talk about the reason why all this happened in the first place is because business people (the hoteliers) and the federal goverment employees have had a long-standing corrupt relationship. Certain gov. officials likely gave out illegal permits and such in exchange for bribes.

The Profepa has drawn up a map of the areas all in question (all around the country, using satellite images) to determine what properties are where, and if they are violating any environmental law or encroaching on government owned sanctuary-type land.


In addition to the hotels already closed in Tulum, they are adding two names to the list that are under investigation: Rancho Jaguar and Caleta Tankah. It seems also from one thing I read that they have also closed places called Mayan Grill and Ibera Playa Paraiso. The attorney for Profepa did also say that they are giving all the hotels some time and are not immediately closing them permanently.


If you can read in Spanish, here is the source I have been getting my info from today:
http://www.yucatan.com.mx/noticia.asp?cx=90300000067316&f=20080718

http://www.yucatan.com.mx/noticia.asp?cx=90000000066968&f=20080718

http://www.yucatan.com.mx/noticia.asp?cx=90000000066966&f=20080718
hey Maura,
here is a website that will translate for you, just copy and paste in the box and choose the language.

Free Translation Online

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaosie View Post
Does anyone have an update on the government seizures of hotels in Tulum? I heard a rumor that Eurostar Blue Tulum and Ana y Jose are slated to be closed.

Any info is much appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanbridewithquestions View Post
Does anyone have anymore info? I saw a newslink that included Dreams Tulum and Eurostar Blue Tulum. I am leaving in 2 days and supposed to be staying at Eurostar
I haven't heard anything on the Spanish news in the last few days, let me check out some of the newspapers to see what I can find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinalocany View Post
hey Maura,
here is a website that will translate for you, just copy and paste in the box and choose the language.

Free Translation Online
actually, i'm bilingual. and the translator that you linked to only translates each individual word without accounting for grammar. i would NOT reccomend that anyone use it for that reason. the information that i gave back in july was from reading the spanish newspapers and giving a summary in english.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • Very thought provoking article it really helped me set up my strategies regarding. READ MORE : Login to Hotmail, Outlook using a Windows or Mac web browser Launch your web browser and login: Firstly, you need to launch your Windows or Mac web browser. Once you have successfully done so, go to the Hotmail sign in page:  http://hotmailaccount1811.blogspot.com Enter your email address and password: Once you have reached the Outlook sign-in page, you need to enter your Hotmail email address followed by your password then click Next. Congratulations, you have signed in: On the next page, select Sign In. Feel free to explore the services that are available to 
    • OMG these are incredible! Seriously blown away by the thoughtful detail you have put into every aspect of your gifts, your guests are going to be amazed! Props to you for adding so many personal touches and putting in so much time to make these gifts amazing!
    • These bags are amazing!! You are so organized and detailed, I am so impressed! I LOVE the Vistaprint stuff you ordered, the logo is so cute, I love your personalization!
    • I love etsy!! It's a great place to find personalized gifts without such a hefty price tag. I was thinking of getting my bridesmaids personalized necklaces with their names on them. I found these ones that are affordable and you can pick the chain length and different fonts, so you can really make them your own and pick what you know each bridesmaid will want. https://www.etsy.com/listing/595334072/personalized-name-necklace-stainless?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=personalized necklace&ref=sc_gallery-3-9&plkey=a8662525c53ec285c1b46b0f308162d0591edff8:595334072
    • Hi everyone, I am so happy that I am getting married to the love of my life. He proposed me and we are getting married within in a couple of months. And I have started preparations for my big day. I am super excited about a lot of things and also worried about many things.I have some inhibitions about my face and skin. Since I am a working woman, I have never got much time for personal care. This is the right time for it now. I need  proper medical grade skin care. Want to improve my skin tone and texture  I read some details about it here, https://www.mcleanclinic.com/nonsurgical-procedures/non-surgical/skin-care/, and found it really helpful. Can anyone of you suggest me some more tips? Like what I can do at home to have a glow on my face?  Thanks in advance.
  • Topics

×