V- I can't remember how many guests you are having, but we did the semi-private reception at Chilis and we had an upstairs room all to ourselves and it was completely private from anyone else dining there. Not sure if that makes a difference for you or not, but just thought I'd throw that out there msnwink.gif

This is completely unfair!! It's so much more expensive now...

I have between 70 and 80 telling me they're going...

so if I want the private reception, it's 1600 just for food (at an all-inclusive resort mind you!), THEN 1200 on top for the DJ???

Then I have to get the sparkling wine for $15 pp?? That better be some good sparkling wine!!

Then $9 pp for open bar? Then $16 pp for hor d'hoerves?

This is way out of my budget now.... AHHH I think I'm going to have to start looking elsewhere. :-(

Linds - I think we'll also do the semi-private reception. My finance was really worried that people would think it was weird if we invited them all the way to Mexico and didn't do a "real wedding reception" but I think I've convinced him that it will be just fine!

Adrienne - are you not yet booked at the RPRM or are you thinking of looking for an offsite location in Playa del Carmen off the resort now?

Originally Posted by aalva416 View Post

This is completely unfair!! It's so much more expensive now...

I have between 70 and 80 telling me they're going...

so if I want the private reception, it's 1600 just for food (at an all-inclusive resort mind you!), THEN 1200 on top for the DJ???

Then I have to get the sparkling wine for $15 pp?? That better be some good sparkling wine!!

Then $9 pp for open bar? Then $16 pp for hor d'hoerves?

This is way out of my budget now.... AHHH I think I'm going to have to start looking elsewhere. :-(

I am booked.. and just found out I have to stay with RIU.

Because I went through DestinationWeddings.com, we'll lose out on our $6,000 deposit for the 30 rooms if I cancel it. EEK

I guess I'm just going to have to cut down the budget MAJOR... no centerpieces or OOT bags or anything fun for me. :-(

Oh well, on the upside... it's less stress trying to figure out how to bring things down there!

Adrienne- why did all the prices change? Sorry, I'm sure this was mentioned before but I haven't had the opportunity to go back. Is it because you booked your wedding for 2011? Is it because of the # of guests?

V- honestly, ours felt like a "real" wedding reception just no dancing after dinner....we had the mariachi band at our cocktail reception- I danced with Sam and my dad then. Are you planning to go the DJ route?

It sounds like my wedding will be a lot like yours... With these crazy prices, I am not going to do a private reception and dj. I've heard the semi-private feels private anyways (and my family is loud so we will outdue any table that tries to compete ;)) and we plan to do the mariachi band after the ceremony as well for the first dance and parent dances. Then we will just make our own fun. Like I said, our group will be pretty fun, loud and obnixous so we will create the party with wherever we end up. My mom keeps reminding me that destination weddings are not necessarily traditional so its okay if its not. We will just have a different, special kind of fun!

Dana- thats exciting you have your first fitting :) Hopefully the dress is what you remembered and loved :)