Photo

New centerpiece idea - tabletop fountains?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ashrose

ashrose
  • 422 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:24 PM

So I was rumamging through an old used book store looking for crazy craft ideas and stumbled upon a book of DIY tabletop fountains. I got to thinking that this could be an amazing idea for a centerpiece... it would bring in a lot of romance, ect.

We'd need, of course, a battery powered fountain...

For example, we could take this fairly simple fountain and decorate it with flowers/seashells/sea glass... ect...

Click the image to open in full size.

Amazon.com: Feng Shui Fountain Ceramic Blue, White: Furniture & Decor

Or just DIY the whole thing.

What do you think? Is this idea just too far out there to transport to say... Mexico for a ceremony?

#2 Kat81

Kat81
    • VIP Member
    • 7,615 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:27 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by ashrose
      So I was rumamging through an old used book store looking for crazy craft ideas and stumbled upon a book of DIY tabletop fountains. I got to thinking that this could be an amazing idea for a centerpiece... it would bring in a lot of romance, ect.

We'd need, of course, a battery powered fountain...

For example, we could take this fairly simple fountain and decorate it with flowers/seashells/sea glass... ect...

Amazon.com: Feng Shui Fountain Ceramic Blue, White: Furniture & Decor

Or just DIY the whole thing.

What do you think? Is this idea just too far out there to transport to say... Mexico for a ceremony?
      I think it is a cool idea. Maybe you could ship the fountains down to your WC in Mexico? Bringing them back would be a PITA though. Unless you shipped them back to yourself.

#3 ashrose

ashrose
      • 422 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:25 PM

Oh man... yeah... getting it home would be tough. Hmm...

#4 ehegwer

ehegwer
        • 139 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:28 PM

Offer them to your guests as favors...

#5 ashrose

ashrose
          • 422 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:56 PM

If in doubt, push the mess on someone else? :)

#6 Kat81

Kat81
            • VIP Member
            • 7,615 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:34 AM

LMAO. If you don't really care about them you can always leave them at the resort.

#7 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
              • 4,881 posts
              • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
              • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
              • LocationNew York

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:47 AM

I've actually seen this done with clear plastic dishes. A big clear bowl, and a clear plastic vase or carafe thing with a hole melted in the bottom. The vase was filled with floral beads and the pump was used to push water up and out the top of the vase, catching in the bowl. It was pretty cool.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#8 msasfraz

msasfraz
              • 392 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:17 AM

how many would you get? but it would be so different and cute... i love it... perhaps even adding the floating candles and sand and seashells around the bottom...

#9 ashrose

ashrose
                • 422 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:36 PM

Ok... so I ran the idea by my FI and he really likes it. So now I need to find a way to incorporate it in to our wedding theme. Problem is, when we decided to go DW, our theme went out the window (it used to be based off of Antoine de Saint Exupery's "The Little Prince")... so now I need to pick a theme and then you know... stick with it.

I also did some digging and I really like this one:
                  It's like 40 dollars for 6 of them... which is a great deal on Overstock...
                  Cordless Flowing Candle Fountain (Case of 4) from Overstock.com
                  Only 50 dollars for 4 of them...

And last but not least... I though this one was cute too:
                  HoMedics - Envirascape Rustic Illumination Lantern Fountain - Black - WFL-CANRUS
                  It's a little lantern with a candle in it ... the candle lights up and is the fountain... Way cute. They are 10 dollars each at Best Buy.

So yeah... lots to think about.

We aren't doing seashells or starfish (its too "Seattle") --- so I'm trying to go with a Latin Chic or a Tuscany on the Beach type theme. Need to figure out how to incorporate these and add the right embellishments to make them just pop. Any ideas?

Which one to you like the best?

#10 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 9,504 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:46 PM

Not to rain on your parade, becaue I really like the idea, you need to check out the weight.

If you only need a few it shouldn't be bad to ship or pack, but most airlines only allow 50 pounds and in my experience shipping was ridiculous.

I like the pots best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users