Photo

The bad.... in Fostering

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 TammyB

TammyB
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:44 PM

We have had many dogs come through our house in the two years we have been fostering. Yesterday night Cain picked up our newest foster boy, he was 5 years old and was found as a stray and the lady that found him contacted the rescue. Cain got home after midnight with him, he was an adorable brindle boy but had a horrible cough type noise he made. We went to bed shortly after Cain got home, Mickey (that's what we decided to call him) was up several times making that loud noise, waking us up each time. At around 7 am, we got up, took all the kids outside and after just watching Mickey we noticed something just wasn't right, and that anytime he made that loud noise he would stop and sit, we thought it was a bad heart murmor so we called the vet and made an appointment for him for 10 am. Well they ended up doing x-rays on Mickey and found out his heart was infested with heartworms, so bad that they said he was only getting 7-10 % air when he breathed in, they said to treat heartworms at that stage it would be a very LONG battle with a very low success rate. On top of that he only had one testicle desend and they said the one that didn't was the size of a golf ball and said more think likely it was testical cancer. So with all the odds against him, it was advised to put him at rest, and allow him to sleep pain free. I'm still an awe that he is gone, this is why fostering can be really hard at times, we just can't save them all..

#2 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
    • 26,161 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:46 PM

Aww Tammy now he's at peace and at least you tried, that's more than most people would do. I'm sorry

#3 EricaG

EricaG
      • 1,915 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:49 PM

That is too bad. At least he ws able to end up with caring foster parents that would take notice and do something about it. Sorry for your loss!
        http://i141.photobuc....DSC_0038-1.jpghttp://i141.photobuc....DSC_0463-1.jpg
        My wedding review of the Grand Palladium Palace, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
        http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t35125

Our Professional Wedding and TTD Pictures by Photo Souvenirhttp:...

#4 Sarah

Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 6,996 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:09 PM

I'm so sorry Tammy. I know it's hard, but you really did this poor dog the best favor anyone could do. If he had heartworm that bad, think of how long he had been suffering... It's so sad that heartworm is so preventable, yet so many dogs aren't protected.

I'm always in awe of the size of your heart.

#5 A10CalGal

A10CalGal
          • VIP Member
          • 11,403 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:12 PM

Tammy, that is very sad. I don't understand how this happens. It blows my mind how many animals you have fostered since I've "known" you. What happens? People buy a dog & then decide they can't take care of it? Don't know how to take care of it? Don't care? That is just senseless that a dog would have heart worm infestation so badly that he has to be put down. It's a simple pill!!

#6 TammyB

TammyB
            • 10,630 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:26 PM

So true, heartworm is so easy to prevent, and to have worms as bad as he did.... Well he was suffering for a long time and to be put to rest at FIVE years old.. That is just sick..

#7 Hartyt509

Hartyt509
              • 2,262 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:17 PM

Sometimes I hate people, they wouldn't treat their kids like that so why their animals!!

At least he's not in pain anymore x

#8 Chiquita

Chiquita
                • 2,674 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:21 PM

Oh Tammy I'm so sorry... that must have been so hard for you.. I cannot stand to think of animals in pain.. it breaks my heart

#9 Sapphire723

Sapphire723
                  • 888 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:05 PM

I am so sorry to hear that. I'm sending my best wishes your way to help your heart heal.

#10 Christine

Christine
                    • VIP Member
                    • 21,514 posts
                    • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
                    • Wedding Location:Napa, California
                    • LocationReno, NV

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:43 PM

oh Tammy that makes me so sad for him, I hope he is at peace now. Its so hard to make that decision but its so frustrating that people don't take care of their pets, good reminder to give the dogs their heartworm meds.
                    Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users