Jump to content

Photo

Are you wearing a Garter


  • Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#111 Nan

Nan
  • Member
  • 599 posts

    Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:06 AM

    Of course I am and it has some blue in it (something white, something blue...)!! although  I would like to skip the part  about taking it off in the dancefloor  with the music and everybody watching!!

     


    Nan and Erik forever!!!

    #112 niajs

    niajs
    • Jr. Member
    • 214 posts

      Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:10 AM

      What is the meaning?! I'd like to wear one but it depends on the dress I get as I may choose a light one and it may show.



      #113 Nan

      Nan
      • Member
      • 599 posts

        Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:04 AM



        Originally Posted by niajs 

        What is the meaning?! I'd like to wear one but it depends on the dress I get as I may choose a light one and it may show.


        good quesstion... I don´t if it means something but I wouldn´t like mine to show either.... I´ll try and find out! 


        Nan and Erik forever!!!

        #114 Nan

        Nan
        • Member
        • 599 posts

          Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:36 AM


          Throwing the garter began in France when pieces of the bridal attire were considered lucky. The bride would throw the garter to the guests at the wedding and whoever caught it could expect good luck. In the United States, the groom traditionally removes the garter from the bride and throws it to the unmarried men. The man who catches it is thought to be the next to marry.


          Nan and Erik forever!!!

          #115 jillybeans127

          jillybeans127
          • Jr. Member
          • 165 posts

            Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

            I really don't want to do the garter and bouquet toss. My fiance really seems disappointed about this so i'm trying to come up with other ideas in the place. I like the idea of having a dance and eliminating couples until we get to the couple that has been together the longest and giving them a bouquet (not my bouquet of course lol). Does anyone have any ideas I could use in place of the garter?



            #116 Peach

            Peach
            • Sr. Member
            • 1,293 posts

              Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

              I have seen the 'throwing out the groom's little black book' thing, to all his single friends. It would not work in my case, but the couple I know who did that filled in the names of every single girl they knew in the book. Not sure if it ever got used or not; I think that might offend some too, but it worked for them.

               

              I would really love to do a bouquet and garter toss. I just don't see it working for us. We will probably have a small group, and I am not sure if anyone there will be single with the exception of my sister and brothers, and they surely do not want my garter! I am kind of disappointed, but maybe we will do one at our AHR. Hope so! I love traditions, even the cheesy ones!

               

              Regardless, I will probably wear one anyway, even if it is just putting it on at the end of the night for FI to find. He would love it!

               


               

              Originally Posted by jillybeans127 

              I really don't want to do the garter and bouquet toss. My fiance really seems disappointed about this so i'm trying to come up with other ideas in the place. I like the idea of having a dance and eliminating couples until we get to the couple that has been together the longest and giving them a bouquet (not my bouquet of course lol). Does anyone have any ideas I could use in place of the garter?



               



              #117 kristen6212

              kristen6212
              • Jr. Member
              • 184 posts

                Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:49 AM

                Yes i will be wearing a garter.  Its a New York Giants one because my fiance is a die hard fan and it is also my something blue! :)



                #118 lolo411

                lolo411
                • Jr. Member
                • 160 posts

                  Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

                  I had one made on Esty from our alma mater (we graduated from the same university). I won't be tossing it though. Just wearing it for fun and will put it in our office with all of the rest of our college stuff later. 



                  #119 Cateyedcutie

                  Cateyedcutie
                  • Jr. Member
                  • 159 posts

                    Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

                    We're looking into Steelers garter for our big day...diehard fans of the black and gold.

                    #120 Julietisurs

                    Julietisurs
                    • Jr. Member
                    • 261 posts

                      Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:30 PM


                      Thanks for posting this. I always wondered how the garter toss started.

                       

                      Quote:

                      Originally Posted by Nan 


                      Throwing the garter began in France when pieces of the bridal attire were considered lucky. The bride would throw the garter to the guests at the wedding and whoever caught it could expect good luck. In the United States, the groom traditionally removes the garter from the bride and throws it to the unmarried men. The man who catches it is thought to be the next to marry.



                       






                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users