Jump to content

Photo

Dreams Cancun - Questions for those married here!


  • Please log in to reply
6684 replies to this topic

#6391 kebrickles

kebrickles
  • Newbie
  • 3 posts

    Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:48 AM

    Hello everyone,

     

    My fiance and I are leaving for Cancun on Wednesday the 4th for our wedding on the 7th at Dreams. Just wanted to get any last minute advise on items we should bring, transfers, customs, and whatever helpful information you have to offer. Thank you



    #6392 beachwed2013

    beachwed2013
    • Newbie
    • 112 posts

      Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:18 AM

      I used Amstar as my transportation. If you call the hotel they can set it up for you. It was very convenient we had private transport and did not have to have other people in the car/ or other stops. That being said it was a flat rate for up to 6 people.
       



      #6393 leigh2011

      leigh2011
      • Jr. Member
      • 277 posts

        Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

        Originally Posted by kebrickles 

        Hello everyone,

         

        My fiance and I are leaving for Cancun on Wednesday the 4th for our wedding on the 7th at Dreams. Just wanted to get any last minute advise on items we should bring, transfers, customs, and whatever helpful information you have to offer. Thank you

         

        You may have already seen these things, but in case not:

        - transfers:  all of the transfer companies are located outside.  So after you go through customs you have walk down a hallway to get outside that is lined with people trying to talk to you - do not talk to these people as they will try and sell you time shares.  Just keep moving, look stratight ahead and ignore them.

        - customs:  there is a $300 max per person of non-personal goods (like clothing) that you are allowed to bring into the country.  The customs agent might ask you the value of the wedding stuff you are bringing with you (like decorations or OOT bags or favors), if you say more than $600 for you and your fiance - then they will search your bags and try to make you pay a tax.  The best thing you can do is have receipts to show that the value of the items is less than $600.

        - think about how much you will be out in the sun on your wedding day (ceremony, pictures, etc) and think about whether you will need sunscreen on

         

        That is what I can think of for now.  Have a blast and enjoy your big day!



        #6394 rykell

        rykell
        • Jr. Member
        • 170 posts

          Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

          Leigh

          Thanks for all your information on your post. If you do not realize but you are truly full of the best info on this thread.



          #6395 CancunLove14

          CancunLove14
          • Newbie
          • 18 posts

            Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:12 AM

            Originally Posted by leigh2011 

             

            You may have already seen these things, but in case not:

            - transfers:  all of the transfer companies are located outside.  So after you go through customs you have walk down a hallway to get outside that is lined with people trying to talk to you - do not talk to these people as they will try and sell you time shares.  Just keep moving, look stratight ahead and ignore them.

            - customs:  there is a $300 max per person of non-personal goods (like clothing) that you are allowed to bring into the country.  The customs agent might ask you the value of the wedding stuff you are bringing with you (like decorations or OOT bags or favors), if you say more than $600 for you and your fiance - then they will search your bags and try to make you pay a tax.  The best thing you can do is have receipts to show that the value of the items is less than $600.

            - think about how much you will be out in the sun on your wedding day (ceremony, pictures, etc) and think about whether you will need sunscreen on

             

            That is what I can think of for now.  Have a blast and enjoy your big day!

            Leigh, Thank you for posting this! You are always so helpful! :)



            #6396 leigh2011

            leigh2011
            • Jr. Member
            • 277 posts

              Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:29 AM

              Thanks ladies - glad to know I am helping.  I check this thread a few times during the week, but I don't log in on the weekends - so if you need anything you can send me a PM and that will trigger an email to be sent to my phone.



              #6397 Alina8706

              Alina8706
              • Newbie
              • 35 posts

                Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

                Leigh, I remember reading you did a photobook as your guestbook? How did that work out? Did a lot of people write in it? I made one for my guestbook, and I'm not sure how it will go over. I loved your pictures by the way. They are all beautiful!!!

                 

                Best , Ali



                #6398 leigh2011

                leigh2011
                • Jr. Member
                • 277 posts

                  Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:01 AM

                  Originally Posted by Alina8706 

                  Leigh, I remember reading you did a photobook as your guestbook? How did that work out? Did a lot of people write in it? I made one for my guestbook, and I'm not sure how it will go over. I loved your pictures by the way. They are all beautiful!!!

                   

                  Best , Ali

                   

                  Thanks Ali.  I had the guest book put out at the cocktail hour and I believe most everyone wrote in it.  It might be a good idea to ask one friend or family member to walk around at some point during the cocktail hour and just remind people to write a message.  I think the photo book as a guest book worked well - though I do have to say that my small group (only ~27 people) didn't take up many pages of the book.  I know that I would never again look at a regular guest book, so I think the photo book is the best bet for it to ever be taken out of a box in the future.



                  #6399 Alina8706

                  Alina8706
                  • Newbie
                  • 35 posts

                    Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

                    So I have a question for all the ladies who have been married at the Dreams.....

                     

                    When it came to the extras (and the taxes) did everything seem to add up very quickly and be very high?

                     

                    If so, How did you cut costs. Also I am worried about the amount of guests we invited? I thought my budget would be ok but looking with the taxes and add ons (additional alcohol) I think I have sent out to many Save the Dates.

                     

                    What percentage of the people you invited come to the wedding?

                     

                    Thanks for all your time and patience ladies (im starting to get a little nervous)



                    #6400 jana297

                    jana297
                    • Member
                    • 646 posts

                      Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:29 AM



                      So I have a question for all the ladies who have been married at the Dreams.....

                       

                      When it came to the extras (and the taxes) did everything seem to add up very quickly and be very high?

                       

                      If so, How did you cut costs. Also I am worried about the amount of guests we invited? I thought my budget would be ok but looking with the taxes and add ons (additional alcohol) I think I have sent out to many Save the Dates.

                       

                      What percentage of the people you invited come to the wedding?

                       

                      Thanks for all your time and patience ladies (im starting to get a little nervous)

                       Don't be nervous at all. Their are alot of things you can do to save money. Centerpieces you can be very creative and bring stuff on your own. I used fake orchids that were submerged in water and no one could tell they were not real. I am very picky and have always thought fake flowers were cheesey. Dunny enough they looked amazing. I printed out menu cards on my own to brighten up the tables since I could not afford colored napkins and tablecloths. I went with the white ones and did menu cards, and starfish place cards. It loooked sooo gorgoeus. Also I did opt to buy the chair bows but if you bought them online you could save a ton. Claudia and the wedding coordinator are so very helpful and will allow you to swich out things. For instance the sound system was I think $180 an hour and I switched out the Mariochi band for the sound system. The wedding package I paid for included having that band at our wedding reception. I was so happy she let me do that. You really need that sound system but it was just so pricey. Another thing that helped us save money was the desert that came with the package..I asked that instead of serving the desert if they could just make the wedding cake that came with my package larger. They did and it looked beautiful and I did not pay extra. I will attach some pics of the centerpieces etc etc. If you need any help with anything just pm me.

                      As far as people coming a lot of people will shy away due to the pricing. Don't panic yet till you get full commitments. We asked our guests to give us a 100% commitment 8 months prior so that we could plan accordingly financially. They all understood and we had less than we thought. It will all work out well.


                      Dreams Cacun Resort & Spa
                      April 6, 2012




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users